Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    hella sloppy in a suit that's a gross color
    Which colors are considered gross?

(Still browsing suit supply outlet with some seemingly gross colors)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrbrownie00 View Post
    I think this comment nails it. My wife and I are always genuinely suprised at how many people don't get dressed to leave the house anymore but there are definitely people in "gym" clothes that look intentional and some that just look lazy.

One thing in particular that blows my mind is when people wear sock with sandals (slides). You went through the work of putting on socks but decided a closed shoe was too much?
    I believe the socks and sandals is currently a young (college age and younger) look. My sister is in her senior year and will do it. Most of the younger guys at my gym do it and carry their sneakers in. I’ve seen it out and about WASHINGTON DC area.

Without a doubt the formality of dressing “up” has changed a lot where there is no longer the social stigma of dressing improperly to an activity. Heck Christmas Eve service in my church was a free for all by anyone under 40 but my wife and I haha

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Which colors are considered gross?

(Still browsing suit supply outlet with some seemingly gross colors)
    I think greens and browns are hard to pull off, and especially a green/brown plaid. They are not automatically gross, it's just not many people can rock them confidently and with the right shirt/tie combo. For instance, Dwight Schrute's normal attire of baggy brown suit, yellow shirt, and yellow/blue patterned tie looks objectively pretty bad. Take that same suit in a fitted cut, pair it with a pale blue shirt and a textured navy tie, and you're looking good.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    In my professional world, I will not take people wearing athleisure seriously in the same way I will not take people with facial tattoos and piercings seriously.
    No one's asking you to take people wearing athleisure seriously in a "professional" context. (Assuming "professional world" here is not a reference to professional sports.)

But in a standing-in-line-at-Starbucks-at-8am-on-Saturday context? In a walking-your-dog-at-6am-before-work context? In a grabbing-pizza-with-your-friends-after-a-hike context? I wear a jacket and tie on a near-daily basis... and I am plenty judgmental about other people in my profession who don't dress appropriately. But I'm also not gonna bother putting on real clothes when I've got nice warm fleece-lined joggers I can wear to let my dog out to pee at 10:30pm. If anyone wants to judge me as sloppy for dressing like that in that context, IDGAF. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    I enjoy a fine tailored outfit as much as I admire a well-executed athleisure look. Athleisure doesn't equal sloppy just as putting on a suit doesn't automatically make one look like a boss. Just do as one pleases, no point in taking anonymous opinions on the internet THAT seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I believe the socks and sandals is currently a young (college age and younger) look. My sister is in her senior year and will do it. Most of the younger guys at my gym do it and carry their sneakers in. I’ve seen it out and about WASHINGTON DC area.
    I used to wear sandals with socks when I lived in India. I had just 2 shoes at that time (1 athletic shoe and 1 dress shoe) and mostly sandals. When I go to the gym I wear the socks and sandals, and changed into shoes once I reached the gym. Now that I am in Canada I don't do that often, but don't mind doing it either.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)
    For me the problem I have with Athleisure clothing is the high price for functional clothing. I get the value in fabrics etc for other clothing mentioned here at times. But the benefit isn’t there for me to spend $80 on a hoodie without a pocket etc.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    If the argument against athleisure is a functional one - those clothes belong in the gym - then 90% of the people I see wearing boots are equally inappropriately dressed. There are many things that were designed to fit a specific purpose, subsequently appropriated for casual and street wear and considered to be quite stylish. I mean, should you only wear a Henley if you're on the rowing team?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Athleisure is just like any other choice of clothing or outfit. There are appropriate situations to wear it and inappropriate situations. I'm not going to wear joggers and a tshirt on a dinner date, but I'm also not throwing on chinos and a polo to mow my lawn.

I think the main problem people have with athleisure is that the majority of people who wear it seem to choose to do it when "real" clothes would be more appropriate (i.e. dinner date, sporting events, casual meet up with friends, etc.).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

An observation

Recently I had to do quite a bit of air travel and it is my observation that the most stylish people I saw in airport terminals were male & female millennials (but not exclusively) wearing what I call athleisure -- usually slim-cut running pants, a hoodie, some type of puffer jacket, and athletic shoes. In comparison, almost everyone else looked like a frump.