Thread: Formal wedding attire

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Formal wedding attire

I am attending a wedding soon and the dress code is "formal attire". Before you ask, I have confirmed that formal does not mean tuxedo/black tie. They put formal because a large number of attendees are in the military and they want them in their formal dress. Suit and tie is acceptable for everyone else.

I'll be wearing a classic navy suit and tie, but I'm wondering if I can get away with a non-white shirt. Would it be acceptable to wear a light blue or patterned shirt (something like herringbone or small grid checks)? Or do I need to just go with a plain white dress shirt?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)
    I'd stick with either white or light blue. They're the two most "formal" shirt options.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)
    I’d say you can get away with a non white shirt since essentially they are asking for dressed up.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1516 Post(s)
    I think you're fine with a non white shirt. I like the idea of a patterned shirt to mix things up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I agree -- I would add the nuance that "non-white" should be fine provided that it's also not loud and not excessively colorful. In your situation, a light blue, off white, or something with a very subtle pattern would be just fine. Herringbone or small grid checks sound appropriate.

Enjoy the wedding!