Thread: Should I Buy This Parka

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)

Should I Buy This Parka

I am considering buying a Speir and Mackay Parka. What are your thoughts on this jacket?

I have never owned a parka, live in Atlanta GA, but dont have a cold weather jacket other than a pea coat. It does get into the 20s several times per winter and I dont have anything in the event that i travel. What do you think? Is it too plain looking? Prefer others? If so, why?

https://www.spierandmackay.com/navy-parka.html

I can get it for $225

Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2112 Post(s)
    Given your situation, that’s not a good buy IMO. Where I live it routinely gets below 0F, sometimes -20 or -30. We get cold snaps where the temp won’t top 0F for a week or more at a time. And I still rarely feel justified wearing my parka.

For cold weather traveling I just pack a bunch of light, packable layers. A coat that bulky would be a nightmare to try to wear on a plane or else take up most of a suitcase by itself.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Given your situation, that’s not a good buy IMO. Where I live it routinely gets below 0F, sometimes -20 or -30. We get cold snaps where the temp won’t top 0F for a week or more at a time. And I still rarely feel justified wearing my parka.

For cold weather traveling I just pack a bunch of light, packable layers. A coat that bulky would be a nightmare to try to wear on a plane or else take up most of a suitcase by itself.
    Thx. Now you have me thinking - What weather is a parka geared towards?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    Thx. Now you have me thinking - What weather is a parka geared towards?
    Typically parkas are meant for extreme cold. Of course, the type of insulation or amount of downfill will determine warmth. The Spier and Mackay listing doesn't specify what the downfill count is for the parka. The higher the count the warmer the jacket. I have an older North Face Gotham jacket with 550 down fill and it's pretty useless when the temps dip below 0.

In your case I think you would be fine buying a down jacket from Patagonia or the like. I have one and it's what I wear when the temps are mild, like between 10 to 50 degrees. Plus, the inner pocket serves as a stuff sack for travel. Considering you live in GA, a parka would be overkill, even if you'll use it for occasional travel.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    thanks guys! I appreciate it.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    I am considering buying a Speir and Mackay Parka. What are your thoughts on this jacket?

I have never owned a parka, live in Atlanta GA, but dont have a cold weather jacket other than a pea coat. It does get into the 20s several times per winter and I dont have anything in the event that i travel. What do you think? Is it too plain looking? Prefer others? If so, why?

https://www.spierandmackay.com/navy-parka.html

I can get it for $225
    I live in NE atlanta suburbs. The only way you need that jacket is if you stand outside for long periods of time during the two cold months we have. Like the poor lady that directs traffic in my kids school parking lot. She has to be outside, regardless of weather, for 3 hours every morning. She wears a knee length parka for a couple of months so she can shed the jacket when she goes inside instead of peeling 10 layers off. I hike and walk downtown for date nights etc year round and have nothing even close to this because physical activity keeps you warm too.

I have lived here all my life and I just layer under my jackets. My warmest jacket is probably my J Crew Sussex quilted, my gap sherpa lined corduroy trucker, or my 650 fill puffer. I have done the botanical gardens holiday lights and walked to dinner in the trucker with proper layers underneath, even in the rain this year. I hiked in the 30s and camped in the 20s with this gear...and layering of course.

I just bought a top coat with polyfill to get a little more length and a little more class in my outerwear for when we take trips to Asheville or the like. I saw someone at the airport this weekend wearing one of these in the departure checking and I was like "OH, where is HE going" because my brain couldnt process needing it here lol. A nice coat though.