Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a one in one out method when buying clothes/shoes?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

Does anyone use a one in one out method when buying clothes/shoes?

I do this and was wondering what experience everyone else has. I'm at a spot now that I don't want to get rid of much but there's still things I want.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I started doing this recently as well. I'm at the point where I feel like I have a pretty decent wardrobe so I really only buy something when it is replacing something else.

I find it to not only be good for staying organized, but also financially responsible as well. Two good things in my book!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1105 Post(s)
    I am somewhat like this now. I have limited closet space these days so I really have to love something to add and item and kick one out. I am running out of shoe space too...maybe only space for 1 or 2 pairs more.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    I do with shoes and watches to an extent. My watch box is all I am allowed for non sentimental watches. And yes, shoes are now 1 in/1 out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    im still building my complete wardrobe so im not.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    547 Post(s)
    I do especially for t shirts. Not for other items like suits and sport coats because usually I’m only buying to replace one that failed.

I just don’t want a huge ward robe anymore. I want items that “spark joy” and when they don’t I’ll replace.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    It’s more a space thing. Wardrobe is pretty set, I don’t have an overcoat, but I live in SoCal so I rarely need one, that wouldn’t be better suited for technical outerwear.
    Bulky gets switched out. Suits are one in, one out, shoes the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    I now do this with shirts because I have run out of room in my closet. I should start doing this with shoes too since my shoes have spilled over from the hall closet to the garage to under the bed. Yeah. I might have a problem. Mind you I haven't bought a new pair of shoes in at least six months (the horror!) and my lack of space might be one of the reasons I've been holding back. Well that and the fact the CDN/US dollar ratio is in the crapper.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    I have not tried this, but I think I want (need) to. I've done pure no-buy years, and have found when I did it...that it turns out I really didn't need anything new. This seems like a more sustainable/happy compromise. Thanks for sharing!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    I've reached this point with my business wear, that is suits, shoes, ties, dress shirts. Casual wear I'm still rebuilding after a big purge a few years ago, but that's largely because I'm so slow to pull the trigger on a purchase.