Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice needed on BR Rapid Movement jeans - slim vs. athletic fit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

advice needed on BR Rapid Movement jeans - slim vs. athletic fit

I'm looking at the Rapid Movement jeans at are on sale today. I haven't purchased jeans in quite awhile. My current pair that I have worn are American Eagle slim fit and they fit well. With Rapid Movement I'm trying to decide between the slim fit and the athletic taper. I do run, bike to work, and lift some weights, but no one is going to confuse me with being super athletic. I'm concerned that if I go with the athletic taper fit they will be too baggy around the thighs. Any advice?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    They have free returns, so you could just order both.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Get both and return the one that you like less - do keep in mind that they will stretch out a bit over the time as well. I have the skinny in a 33 but should have probably gone 32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks to both of you for the advice. It seems buying both fits would be the best route.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)
    ordering both is the easiest.

if you have experience with JCrew jeans, a BR slim jean is somewhere between a JCrew slim and JCrew straight. when they say slim, they mean slim, not skinny.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I have an athletic build and normally wear athletic fit. I have athletic and slim BR rapids jeans and the slim actually fit me better. I felt their athletic was too baggy in the thighs compared to say Bonobos athletic which fit me great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I'm sure you've ordered them by now, but my two cents:
    The BR athletic fit denim has a super aggressive taper. The rapid movement aspect introduces a lot of stretch so I've found that a waist that fits makes me look like I've been poured into them. The stretch is definitely engaged from my thighs all the way to my ankles. Standing up from a sitting position always requires me to kick the fabric off my calves back down to my ankles. No good.

The slim is often better even if the thighs are snug (more so than the Athletic fit). With the stretch it seems to negate a little of the cling because the taper isn't like Gru from Despicable Me levels.

For whatever reason, all that goes out the window on their Rapid Movement Chinos. The Athletic fit there is the best off the rack pair of pants I can buy in terms of fit (for me, obviously).

I've also felt like there has been a good bit of variability lately with BRs stuff. A slim fit in one pant (even in a denim family) is worlds different from another. EX: Rapid Movement and Travelers fit me totally differently. Travelers in the same size and fit as Rapid Movement look like dude jeggings.

Buy several sizes and types and hopefully you'll dial in on something that works. Good luck!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    I really like the slim fit for my average build. That said, sizing can be inconsistent as was already mentioned. I have the slim fit in several different washes and they all fit slightly differently.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    I love the BR athletic fit. They fit me very well, but I do a lot of weightlifting and have 26" thighs and wear a 36x30. If you have closer to average thighs, the slim may fit you better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I quick update: I order both and ended up keeping the slim fit with a caveat. While I liked the slim fit better, the length was noticeably longer than the athletic taper despite them being the exact same size. I went to the Banana Republic store to make the return and they had one pair of the slim fit in my size. I tried those on and the length was exactly what they should have been. So I swapped them out with the slim fit I bought online and all is good. I love the jeans. They are very comfortable.