Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does this stitching look right?

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    659 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgamby View Post
    To complete the story. Brought it back to the tailor and explained what I wanted. It now looks like I expected the first time. Not sure what happened originally!

i'm absolutley amazed how good it looks this time, compared to the last time you posted it!! what in the world happened to it last time OMG it was so bad. I sew, and can't imagine what they had done

you lucked out! awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    The repaired version looks MUCH better! it looked like in the first attempt, the tailor did not try to remove the faux button stitching, and added some funky mess up of stitching at the sleeve. I'm glad they were able to fix it for you. It looks much better, and by no means should you worry about it or mess with it, but I would still be slightly bothered by them going from four buttons to three, and then also the length of the faux button holes is still a bit off (like the top one is longer than the bottom one).

When I've taken jackets in to have the sleeves shortened, the tailor usually removes all of the faux button holes and just sews the buttons back on sans the button stitching. Which ALSO bothers me. You'd think it would be a small extra step to add the stitching back, but I suppose it may be more difficult than I'm envisioning.

Wondering what everyone else does with button hole sleeve stitching? Just leave it without and deal with it, realizing only super detail oriented borderline obsessive people like myself would ever notice, or just don't worry about the small stuff and wear it? I have wondered this about suits/jackets that come without the stitching as well. Just leave it without? Or take it in and have stitching added? I've probably spent way too much time of my life thinking about this lol.

By the way, the pants, while not perfect, I think are fine. That probably would not bother me, even as an obsessive!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    I would be more confident to bring stuff back to this tailor, as customer service as well as repeat customers and word of mouth go a long way. They obviously want to earn your business, so that makes me more confident in the tailor. But donít be afraid to remind them who you are and what happened the first time, (but politely)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CK83 View Post
    The repaired version looks MUCH better! it looked like in the first attempt, the tailor did not try to remove the faux button stitching, and added some funky mess up of stitching at the sleeve. I'm glad they were able to fix it for you. It looks much better, and by no means should you worry about it or mess with it, but I would still be slightly bothered by them going from four buttons to three, and then also the length of the faux button holes is still a bit off (like the top one is longer than the bottom one).

When I've taken jackets in to have the sleeves shortened, the tailor usually removes all of the faux button holes and just sews the buttons back on sans the button stitching. Which ALSO bothers me. You'd think it would be a small extra step to add the stitching back, but I suppose it may be more difficult than I'm envisioning.

Wondering what everyone else does with button hole sleeve stitching? Just leave it without and deal with it, realizing only super detail oriented borderline obsessive people like myself would ever notice, or just don't worry about the small stuff and wear it? I have wondered this about suits/jackets that come without the stitching as well. Just leave it without? Or take it in and have stitching added? I've probably spent way too much time of my life thinking about this lol.

By the way, the pants, while not perfect, I think are fine. That probably would not bother me, even as an obsessive!
    Appreciate this input. Since there were only three fake button holes left after the alteration I asked them to go ahead and take a button off. It seemed the simplest way to have the jacket not look terrible!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Appreciate this input. Since there were only three fake button holes left after the alteration I asked them to go ahead and take a button off. It seemed the simplest way to have the jacket not look terrible!
    Totally agree! You salvaged the situation for sure! Nobody would ever notice a thing without the closeup side by side and before and after pictures.

More than anything I was just expressing frustration with my own tailoring experiences being not quite right at least to me...and was curious how others felt about the lack of the accent stitching entirely. It bugs me on my jackets, but in reality I’m probably the only one that notices.

Enjoy the jacket!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    641 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CK83 View Post

I can't remember ever needing so much of sleeves shortened that the buttons needed to be moved or removed, so I haven't had to deal with that issue.
    I guess I'm lucky that I have really long arms.

But I know that really good tailors with customers that don't mind spending $$$, will shorten the sleeves by removing them and shortening them from the shoulders, that way the buttons don't need to be moved.

Indeed, my limited understanding is that if your jacket has functional buttons, the only way they can do it is to shorten the sleeves from the shoulder side.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    641 Post(s)
    I think that's a fine way to deal with it.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I can't remember ever needing so much of sleeves shortened that the buttons needed to be moved or removed, so I haven't had to deal with that issue.
    I guess I'm lucky that I have really long arms.

But I know that really good tailors with customers that don't mind spending $$$, will shorten the sleeves by removing them and shortening them from the shoulders, that way the buttons don't need to be moved.

Indeed, my limited understanding is that if your jacket has functional buttons, the only way they can do it is to shorten the sleeves from the shoulder side.
    My experience with functional buttons has been that sleeves can be shortened but only by a small amount, like maybe up to 1/2" or so. Any more and the margin between the cuff and first button becomes too narrow and would look odd. I've lucked out with two SS suits, both with functional buttons, in that the sleeves were slightly too long but still within range of being fixed from the cuff end. Mainly I was trying to fine tune the amount of shirt cuff they showed.