Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this stitching look right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Does this stitching look right?

Hey everyone!

I just had the sleeves of this blazer shortened a little. Should the stitching on them be so obvious? I'm new to getting things tailored so I don't know what a normal good tailor would do. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by dgamby; January 13th, 2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Corrected photo upload.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgamby View Post
    Hey everyone!

I just had the sleeves of this blazer shortened a little. Should the stitching on them be so obvious? I'm new to getting things tailored so I don't know what a normal good tailor would do. Thanks for the help!

You need to use an actual image host, not your personal google drive.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    645 Post(s)
    Hey everyone!

To my old eyes, the stitching is undetectable.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Sorry, new to this! I think I have corrected the problem.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    None of that looks correct. The buttons don't line up with the faux button hole stitching, and they should have only put three buttons back on the sleeve if they were going to shorten the sleeves that much. The stitching itself is very prominent and looks bad.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Nothing about that looks like it was properly done. I would definitely ask about getting a refund for whatever you paid. Then, I'd take it to a real tailor and see if they can repair the damage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    Nothing about that looks like it was properly done. I would definitely ask about getting a refund for whatever you paid. Then, I'd take it to a real tailor and see if they can repair the damage.
    This is what I feared. I know the buttons should line up to the fake holes. Which I'm assuming I could ask that tailor to fix. I was curious what the stitching under the button holes is supposed to look like. I wanted to go back to the tailor with something more than "this looks bad" when I ask him to fix or refund.

In Chattanooga where I leave there aren't an overabundance of good tailors, but it seems I'll have to look around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

And the pants

So...I also had two pairs of pants slimmed in the leg and hemmed. To me both hems look...off, but again, I don't get a lot of pants hemmed. Would you say these also look wrong? The picture isn't great, but it seems like the stitching is really obvious, and not the most straight.

I appreciate the feedback letting me know that my instincts were correct on the jacket.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I was curious what the stitching under the button holes is supposed to look like. I wanted to go back to the tailor with something more than "this looks bad" when I ask him to fix or refund.

In Chattanooga where I leave there aren't an overabundance of good tailors, but it seems I'll have to look around.
    If they do a decent job, you should never even be able to tell that an item was tailored/altered. There shouldn't be a stitch below the button holes. I honestly don't even know what they were trying to do there. It almost looks like they literally just cut the sleeve to make it shorter and then sewed the buttons back on.

I've found most bespoke or MTM men's stores will also offer tailoring services even if they don't advertise it. It might be worth checking with one of those and seeing if they can repair your items. In a city like Chattanooga I'm sure there is at least one or two bespoke men's stores.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1095 Post(s)
    So...I also had two pairs of pants slimmed in the leg and hemmed. To me both hems look...off, but again, I don't get a lot of pants hemmed. Would you say these also look wrong? The picture isn't great, but it seems like the stitching is really obvious, and not the most straight.

I appreciate the feedback letting me know that my instincts were correct on the jacket.

My pants look similar. On the jacket, they can hide the stitching in the multiple layers of fabric. The pants, they are sewing right into the fabric which you will see.