Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this stitching look right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    My pants look similar. On the jacket, they can hide the stitching in the multiple layers of fabric. The pants, they are sewing right into the fabric which you will see.
    That's really helpful. I was starting to get a little paranoid after the blazer.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)
    It's probably just about the worst job I've ever seen in regard to replacing buttons after shortening sleeves. The trousers are not much better, but at least only really short people will be close enough to see them.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I am extremely fortunate that my wife is an excellent seamstress and she does all of my tailoring/alterations. I can assure you those jacket sleeves are horrendous. She would never allow me to walk out the door in a jacket with sleeves that looked like that. The pants are just as bad. When my wife hems my trousers the hem stitching is barely visible. I showed your photos to her and she laughed out loud. Her comment - "that guy needs to get his money back!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgamby View Post
    So...I also had two pairs of pants slimmed in the leg and hemmed. To me both hems look...off, but again, I don't get a lot of pants hemmed. Would you say these also look wrong? The picture isn't great, but it seems like the stitching is really obvious, and not the most straight.

I appreciate the feedback letting me know that my instincts were correct on the jacket.

I think this is a little subpar. Not awful, but definitely a little uneven. On the lower pair, it almost looks like they were hemmed before they were slimmed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by christophe View Post
    I think this is a little subpar. Not awful, but definitely a little uneven. On the lower pair, it almost looks like they were hemmed before they were slimmed?
    So it sounds like I need to go back to the tailor and see if we can resolve the blazer sleeve issue because that is clearly a bad job. Now I just have to decide if I also bring back the pants as those don't seem quite as egregious, but still not as good as I would have hoped.

I really appreciate all the input, unfortunately it really makes me wary of getting anything that needs to be tailored, which is a shame!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    To complete the story. Brought it back to the tailor and explained what I wanted. It now looks like I expected the first time. Not sure what happened originally!

Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2112 Post(s)
    I would guess maybe the original work was done by some employee who isn't trained or qualified for menswear tailoring.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    Much better! Glad to see it rectified.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgamby View Post
    To complete the story. Brought it back to the tailor and explained what I wanted. It now looks like I expected the first time. Not sure what happened originally!

Wow! I'm surprised that they could fix it so well. That first botched job would have scared me off.

So glad it worked out for you.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I would guess maybe the original work was done by some employee who isn't trained or qualified for menswear tailoring.
    That's what I was thinking as well. Now the real question is do I give them another shot since it was appropriately sorted out, or do I now find another tailor!

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. It was tremendously helpful!