Thread: Sweater Appreciation thread

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Sweater Appreciation thread

I'm a bit' of a sweater fiend. I love sweaters. The history, the warmth, the different styles, the stitching/gauge, etc. What type/brand of sweaters do you enjoy wearing?

For the office - I like 100% Merino v-necks. I pair them with wool trousers & a button-up. On real cold days, I'll wear a full zip-up over the v-neck (kind of like a 'bib' effect but without the bib). I'll take the zip-up off and hang-it up with my overcoat. I have a few Cashmere's that I like as well.

For casual - I like 100% Lambswool and 100% Shetland. I also like 80% wool/20% Nylon. I don't like the look/feel of 100% cotton or Cotton/Polyester blend. I will wear a slim, long sleeve t-shirt under my crewnecks. I don't like Mr. Rodgers' style cardigans but I do love shawl-collar cardigans. I secretly wish wool turtlenecks were in-style, so warm. I really like the look and feel of Jacquard weave. I tend to not like cable-knit as much. I just can't get into Donegal. On Ebay, I just purchased a NWT, wool Henley made by Schott NYC, what a pleasant surprise. Love it! I thought they only made coats!

I admire brands such as O'connells, S.N.S. Herning & others as seen on the likes of Mr. Porter. Often marketed as '7-ply', 'made with 5 pounds of wool', etc. but pricing at $250-$600+/- is out of my range. Lately, Todd Snyder has been producing some super nice offerings but again, too much $$$ for me.

I appreciate brands such as L.L.Bean Signature, Lands' End and Pendleton, good quality-to-price ratio for me. Though, sometimes they are still too baggy or grandpa'ish. In theory, I like the chunkiness/quality of Canadian style Cowichan sweaters and Dale of Norway but a little too ski-resort'ish for me (blank canvas offerings would be nice). The offerings from J.Crew main (especially Wallace & Barns) remains in my rotation as well. I thought Abercrombie & Fitch were going to offer less logos? A&F makes nice sweaters.

Washable wool (?) - This year, seeing an increase in these offerings from J.Crew and L.L.Bean. I'm skeptical, should I be?

A few years ago, I bought a few crewnecks from Lands' End that had the 'shoulder saddle stitching' that I love. Lands' End sweater offerings suck this year. It seems that the Woolovers company has slimmed-down their sweaters? Anyone buy from Woolvers? Man, looking on Ebay and Poshmark: Vintage Old Navy, Gap and even American Eagle Outfitters used to make some mighty nice sweaters. Nowadays, it seems that the percentage of wool in sweaters is shrinking and I'm seeing more cotton and synthetics. The price for 100% cotton sweaters is creeping up: $90, $120, $180.. for damn cotton. Worse, all these microsplastics woven into the clothing is leaching into our water systems.

tl;dr - What type/brand of sweaters do you enjoy wearing?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    I'm very sensitive to wool so when I wear it in a sweater it is cashmere. I have several pairs each of crew neck and v neck. Mostly J Crew on sale. For the price the quality is fine and they fit me well.

I have a few cardigans but I'm older so I don't mind looking older

This year my sweater of choice has been the shaker stitch 100% cotton shawl cardigan sweater from GAP. Heavy, warm and I just love having one on. Bought all of them on sale I think they're great value for $35 - $45.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    Something that I don't have to put on and take off by pulling it over my head.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)
    A cardigan under a sport coat--it's just the best look to me.
    The rest are crewnecks
    Fine merino wool as I live in southern california

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    jcrew merino wool with a button up for work wear. Causally merino or cotton crew neck and a few quarter zips.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    The old Old Navy sweaters were great. I had a brown one that got shrunk, so another purchase, which also got shrunk. Looks great on my wife, but that doesn’t help me much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    For years, a cashmere v-neck was a standard part of my winter outfits. But since last winter, I've found that I am too warm in the office, and while commuting (public transit). So now, if it's above 30 when I'm leaving the house, I skip the sweater. I would rather be a little cold for those few minutes as I wait for the bus than be too warm all day.

That said, I have around 20 sweaters (some lambswool as well), and I don't plan on getting rid of them. But I doubt I'll be buying any new ones soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the passenger View Post
    For years, a cashmere v-neck was a standard part of my winter outfits. But since last winter, I've found that I am too warm in the office, and while commuting (public transit). So now, if it's above 30 when I'm leaving the house, I skip the sweater. I would rather be a little cold for those few minutes as I wait for the bus than be too warm all day.

That said, I have around 20 sweaters (some lambswool as well), and I don't plan on getting rid of them. But I doubt I'll be buying any new ones soon.
    Try a cardigan or a full-zip sweater. I have a similar dilemma of being too cold during my commute (also public transportation) but too warm while in the office, but the cardigan or full-zip sweater solves that problem by allowing me to wear while commuting and removing once in the office. These also solve the inverse problem in the summer: when it is hot outside but the office A/C is blasting at an unbearably cold temperature. For the summer, I keep a cotton full-zip sweater in my office to combat this scenario.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    What kind of sweaters don't I have would be a shorter list. I have some fine merino v necks and crew necks from J Crew and Banana Republic. I have a chunky turtleneck from Alex Mill and a fine merino turtleneck from Uniqlo. Fine merino cardigan from Uniqlo, chunky shawl collar cardigan from J Crew. Shawl collar non-cardigan also from J Crew in a beefy lambswool. Cashmere crewneck and cashmere hoodie from Everlane (I seriously wonder why Everlane never gets any play at all on the front page of this site - they do good quality cashmere sweaters and have branched out into decent takes on other menswear staples, and everything they sell is at reasonably affordable prices even at full retail).

But...moving on: A merino henley from Bonobos. A lambswool fair isle from J Crew. A couple cotton cardigans from I think Lands' End. Also, it's one of my favorites - an Irish fisherman crewneck sweater with a nice Aran cable knit pattern from...Levis of all companies. Have no idea why a jeans company decided to make an excellent take on an Aran sweater but it is indeed an excellent sweater. It's durable, warm, and looks great. Also a crew neck I got this year at REI from a company called Sherpa Adventure Gear. It's a chunky merino-alpaca blend - in weight I'd compare it to Shetland or Ragg wool - definitely beefier than a fine merino sweater - with some nylon thrown in for strength. Also very warm and though it leans casual has instantly become one of my favorite sweaters.

I keep my sweaters in an old steamer trunk my grandfather took to college and there are probably some I'm forgetting about buried in the bottom but they're all repetitions of the types and brands already mentioned.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain