Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to add a top coat...but on the fence regarding color.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1152 Post(s)

Looking to add a top coat...but on the fence regarding color.

Camel or charcoal?

I will be wearing it mostly with dark jeans or chinos but I do have a navy suit, a blue suit, and some grey wool dress pants that I might want to use it with. I will also be adding a grey suit in the future, I just dont get to suit up much so its a low priority. I am right in the blue/grey/olive color family with most of my clothes but I introduce light pink, lavender, and some darker reds with shirts or ties.

I feel like charcoal leans a little more casual and low key where camel seems a little dressier and stands out a little. But charcoal introduces some possible issues with my pants or grey sweaters. I definable lean towards the casual side most of the time but I have other casual coats so I am thinking I should make sure this works with suits and my dress slacks.

oh...and for size, do I buy my regular suit jacket size? Like if I wear a 38R jacket then the 38R topcoat should be cut to fit over a 38R jacket, right?

Leaning towards this one because of the current sale and I know how JC fits me off the rack.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/AA151?mode=e...ame=dark-camel

The BRF medium usually fits me pretty well too
    https://bananarepublicfactory.gapfac...&pid=488192001

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I'd go with charcoal. It's much more neutral and should go with anything (even grey pants/suits). In my opinion, camel can be a bit trickier when it comes to color clashing.

For sizing... I recommend sizing up one especially if you are going to be wearing it over suits / blazers / sweaters. If you normally wear a 38R get a 40R, and try it on over a blazer to make sure it's not too tight.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    I'd suggest also looking at chocolate–medium brown and burgundy. Not bold, but not drab either.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1152 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I'd suggest also looking at chocolate–medium brown and burgundy. Not bold, but not drab either.
    I wouldn't mind a chocolate or even a herringbone...but those are tough to find in my price range. I dont want to spend huge dollars because I wont wear it a ton. I live in GA so its only cold for like 2 weeks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)
    I’d recommend considering navy blue. That’s what I went with from S&M and am very happy with it for all situations.

Next I’d say charcoal and last camel. Camel is nice but would worry me in the more formal situations and could get dirty quick.

I sized up and am happy it fits nicely over a suit and pretty good over casual layers.

Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2112 Post(s)
    I was looking at a camel topcoat recently and ultimately went with a navy peacoat on the basis of it being more understated as well as more versatile (both color-wise and style-wise). Plus I felt darker would be more practical as it would hide dirt and ordinary wear-and-tear a bit better. Nothing wrong with camel, though, especially if you like to peacock a bit.

Honestly, navy blue and charcoal grey are both so neutral that I don't think it matters that you might have a sweater or trousers in the same color. If you are concerned about it, maybe assess whether you tend to wear more blue or more grey and then get your coat in the other color.

Size wise, it will depend on the brand and the fit of the specific coat you're looking at. Some brands size their outerwear bigger to accommodate layers underneath, some don't. You will just need to try things on.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1152 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I was looking at a camel topcoat recently and ultimately went with a navy peacoat on the basis of it being more understated as well as more versatile (both color-wise and style-wise). Plus I felt darker would be more practical as it would hide dirt and ordinary wear-and-tear a bit better. Nothing wrong with camel, though, especially if you like to peacock a bit.

Honestly, navy blue and charcoal grey are both so neutral that I don't think it matters that you might have a sweater or trousers in the same color. If you are concerned about it, maybe assess whether you tend to wear more blue or more grey and then get your coat in the other color.

Size wise, it will depend on the brand and the fit of the specific coat you're looking at. Some brands size their outerwear bigger to accommodate layers underneath, some don't. You will just need to try things on.
    So I will admit, I dont mind a mild peacock. I do not use more than one item and it stops at using pink or lavender or maybe a tie when its not needed. I do that "one step above the room" thing. Camel appeals to me on that front because its different without being a burgundy herringbone pattern.

I can tell you I would feel some kind of way about wearing a navy suit or dark rinse jeans and a navy top coat so thats out. I dont really think I need to plan for my jeans because I have other jackets I can wear with them. I need to plan for my grey dress pants and my chinos...which are mostly grey, burgundy, or a shade of brown.

I think what I am figuring out is I just need two topcoats lol. Or if I could find a tweed in my price range...that would be awesome. The show Luther is what got me wanting one in the first place...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    I'd point out Idris Elba could probably make a paper bag look stylish.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    I'd go with navy. That's what I have. It's a hand me down from my dad and it's probably a size up. It works with or without a suit underneath.

I also have a navy peacoat which is what I usually go to when I am not wearing a jacket.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1152 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I'd point out Idris Elba could probably make a paper bag look stylish.
    Truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk