Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to add a top coat...but on the fence regarding color.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    Navy. They're normally sized to wear over a suit, in your normal size. This may not apply to J Crew, Suit Supply, etc., where skinner everything seems to still be the norm. I don't wear one over a suit, so I always size down.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    If this is your only topcoat, I'd go with charcoal since it's more conservative/better for professional wear. But you said that you don't mind peacocking so YMMV.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I’d recommend considering navy blue. That’s what I went with from S&M and am very happy with it for all situations.

Next I’d say charcoal and last camel. Camel is nice but would worry me in the more formal situations and could get dirty quick.

I sized up and am happy it fits nicely over a suit and pretty good over casual layers.
    ive been set on the camel for a long time, but really thinking about that navy from SM. They are doing a nice sale right now so im tempted to buy it!

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1517 Post(s)
    Camel. My first top coat was camel coloured I still thinks the topcoat (from JC) is sleek and stylish. I wore the topcoat for a year and then ended up purchasing a charcoal one to compliment the camel coloured one. But for my first jacket, camel all the way.

I still don't own a navy one BTW. Based on reading this thread, seems like I need to step up my game!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1152 Post(s)
    Navy just isnít happening for me. I know people donít have a problem with it but I canít wear a navy jacket with dark jeans or my navy suit. It just bugs me.

I went with the camel with the plan of hunting for a herringbone or tweed in the future. I can always find charcoal if I want it b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1152 Post(s)
    Camel arrived. I ordered in my suit size and it fits over my suit...barely. I left the tags on because I might order a size up for comparison. Itís got a quilted liner and is pretty thick. Which I was going for. The color is nice for me and I am pretty happy with it. I think I might end up with a charcoal car coat at some point though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk