Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suit Supply Sports Jacket

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    It's a texture thing, it's a pockets thing, it's a buttons thing, it's a cut thing.

Most people won't recognize a suit jacket versus a sport coat. So you could probably get away with it.

But if you want to do it right, don't pretend a suit jacket is a sport coat.

The few who matter will notice.
    Not looking to get away with it. Trying to learn.

What is the difference in pockets, cut and buttons?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Not looking to get away with it. Trying to learn.

What is the difference in pockets, cut and buttons?
    The main thing is texture. A typical suit will have 110s or 120s wool which is too fine for a sport coat.

Then buttons. A suit will have understated non-contrasting buttons -- like plain black against charcoal or navy fabric -- whereas a sport coat will have some contrast.

A suit will almost always have flap pockets. Here you're 50/50 since some sport coats have flap pockets.

The cut is subjective, but to me a sports coat will lean trendy where a suit leans conservative.

That said, I'm no expert and will be interested in what others might have to say...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    286 Post(s)
    I used to avoid jackets with patch pockets because I thought it made the jacket look cheap. Now I have the opposite opinion. I dislike sport coats with flap pockets. I live some of the jackets Bonobos makes, but they like doing sport coats with flaps. Same with most of J Crew's sport coats. I think you'll dig patch pockets once you give them a shot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batkins9 View Post
    I used to avoid jackets with patch pockets because I thought it made the jacket look cheap. Now I have the opposite opinion. I dislike sport coats with flap pockets. I live some of the jackets Bonobos makes, but they like doing sport coats with flaps. Same with most of J Crew's sport coats. I think you'll dig patch pockets once you give them a shot.
    I have a cotton sport coat from J.Crew with patch pockets. In my opinion they make the coat look very casual which is fine as that is what I use that jacket for. I don't think I'd care for the patch pockets on a more formal style sports coat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Fair enough, but the Lazio sport coat is made from 110s.

And many of SS suit jackets have contrasting buttons.

I prefer flap pockets on a sports coat and while the trend is toward patch pockets, they aren't for me except on a very casual cotton jacket.

SS has sports coats with natural, slightly padded and more substantial padding. Same with their suits.

I think the lines are blurring.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    286 Post(s)
    I have a cotton sport coat from J.Crew with patch pockets. In my opinion they make the coat look very casual which is fine as that is what I use that jacket for. I don't think I'd care for the patch pockets on a more formal style sports coat.
    To each their own. I generally only like flaps for suit jackets. I have a lot of patch pocket sport coats that are perfectly fine to wear to the office.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I haven't reordered yet.

So you think the texture on the Napoli doesn't lend itself to serving double duty as a sports jacket as well? I know it doesn't work for some but I thought a dark solid navy like the Napoli would.
    I echo what a bunch of others have said in this thread--it's very, very hard to figure out whether a suit jacket can pull double duty as a sports jacket, especially if you're new to figuring this out. Looking at thread count won't help--you really need to look and feel the fabric in person, but even then, it's hard to figure out until you've been around a bunch of jackets and can tell the difference.

I also agree with what @Slubby Linen said here--most people won't notice the difference, but for those who can tell the difference, it will give off a very poor impression.

Joe has done a few good articles on differences between suit jackets and blazers. It might have actually been why I originally started reading the site ~8 or so years ago.

To your later post in this thread, I don't think the lines are blurring between what's a suit jacket and what's a blazer. Rather, the lines have always been a bit blurry, and now that SuitSupply is getting more and more mainstream (and has to cater to a larger and larger audience), I think they had to budge and offer a flap pocket blazer after all of these years. There are some people who really prefer flap pockets over patch pockets (like yourself), but I strongly prefer patch pockets because it's easier to clearly show that a blazer isn't an orphaned suit jacket. If you do earnestly prefer flap pockets over patch pockets, then I would look for fabrics that are noticeably slubby/textured (I would avoid worsted wool), are patterned, are half-lined/constructed, and have either completely unpadded shoulders or minimally padded shoulders. SuitSupply does make Napoli suits that are patterned with slubbier/textured fabrics, and those might be doable as separates.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    Hopsack weave sport coat with flap pockets. If you wear a navy suit jacket as a sport coat, even folks who don't know much about style will know it's a suit jacket.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Thanks all for the feedback.

Perhaps I'll try the Lazio in a larger size.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lax101 View Post
    I don't think they make a Napoli as a blazer--it's only as a suit jacket, which I would strongly avoid doing.

I was surprised to see in this thread that SS now makes a Lazio blazer (meaning they've probably run it in a fabric where it can be pulled off).

Did you try sizing up on the Lazio or Havana?
    So I took your advice and ordered the Lazio one size up. I also read up a lot on the differences between suits, blazers and sports jackets.

Overall the jacket fits well. Shoulders, sleeve length are very good and I like the narrowness at the waist. The armholes seem to be higher then what I am use to but not uncomfortably so. I'm not sure if it is a result of the narrower shoulders in the cut or if they are in fact higher.

I read that sports jackets are roomier to allow a layer like a sweater underneath while suits are designed to be more form fitting with blazers somewhere in between. While the jacket fits well and there are no signed of it pulling when buttoned at the back or the waist I think a sweater would make the jacket pull. That's fine by me as I planned to wear it without having several sports coats that are roomier (BB Madison fit) where I can layer sweaters. I would says this fits more like a blazer although the buttons are brown not silver or gold (I know the metal buttons on a blazer rule isn't written in stone either).

Most importantly when I tried it on my wife instantly complimented me on the look and especially the fit. She tends to like my jackets more form fitting.

Thanks all for the education and helping me to get a nice addition to my wardrobe.