Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booze free January - and beyond?

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1518 Post(s)

Booze free January - and beyond?

This is kind of and off-shoot of the weight loss thread.

January is here and I'm aiming for three months of no booze! But first things first. Get January out of the way one day at a time. Who's interested in joining me?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    Just checking in with encouragement here. I'm with you, but I was already not drinking for a while already, so it's not really just January for me.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1518 Post(s)
    Thanks @carlitos.

Day seven and feeling fine. I've determined that I need something flavoured to drink when watching sports. Doesn't have to be beer or anything alcoholic. But I do like to have a flavoured beverage on hand. This weekend I went for some kombucha while watching football. I also went for a Nuun tablet to flavour my water. Gotta say, I didn't miss the booze.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    I haven't had a drink since January 4th, nor have I had a single cheat meal (not even a bite). Gallon of water every day as well. It's been way more of an adjustment than I thought it would be. Feeling so much better and sleeping better. Going for 75 days straight.
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.Ē ― Charles Bukowski

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1518 Post(s)
    I am still going strong. No temptation to deviate. I am not finding it to be that much of an adjustment, although when I'm done a workout and my buddies are drinking, they do tend to ask me, repeatedly to have a drink with them. That I could do without.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I am still going strong. No temptation to deviate. I am not finding it to be that much of an adjustment, although when I'm done a workout and my buddies are drinking, they do tend to ask me, repeatedly to have a drink with them. That I could do without.
    Not partaking in alcohol is seen as very odd, especially by frequent drinkers. I personally find it odd that people totally understand why you would not use softer drugs without some sort of deep religious conviction. Coffee for example... "I don't drink caffeine because it makes me a little nervous" is totally understandable. "I don't drink beer because it makes me stupid and I'm not trying to gain 45 pounds again" is seen as bizarre.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    658 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Keep it up! I've been drinking to much the last six months or so. I'm shooting for about 10 days to start. Yesterday was day one.

As far as your workout buddies, perhaps you can comfort yourself with the idea that drinking right after a workout isn't the smartest thing.

http://theconversation.com/why-alcoh...bad-idea-98313

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...drink-alcohol/
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    533 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Keep it up! I've been drinking to much the last six months or so. I'm shooting for about 10 days to start. Yesterday was day one.

As far as your workout buddies, perhaps you can comfort yourself with the idea that drinking right after a workout isn't the smartest thing.

http://theconversation.com/why-alcoh...bad-idea-98313

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...drink-alcohol/
    I donít get the post workout drink. I donít mind drinking moderately. I have no want for a dry time period because I think with moderation itís fine. But frequently guys on my hockey team always go for a beer after. I couldnít imagine after lifting getting a drink. Iím physically exhausted. A beer doesnít satisfy or provide the necessary nutrients.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    658 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I don’t get the post workout drink. I don’t mind drinking moderately. I have no want for a dry time period because I think with moderation it’s fine. But frequently guys on my hockey team always go for a beer after. I couldn’t imagine after lifting getting a drink. I’m physically exhausted. A beer doesn’t satisfy or provide the necessary nutrients.
    Yes, I agree moderation is fine. The problem I'm having is that I've gradually started to exceed moderation. One glass of wine a night turned into two. And then three. And Sunday I noticed that I finished an entire bottle of wine between about 5 p.m. and bedtime. Alarms going off in my head.

One leads to two, two leads to three, three leads to way too much--I need to slow down.

So, I think a break is a good way to get back to moderation from excess.
    Last edited by mebejoseph; January 21st, 2020 at 10:57 PM.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    One glass of wine a night turned into two. And then three. And Sunday I noticed that I finished an entire bottle of wine between about 5 p.m. and bedtime.
    I found myself in a similar situation a few years ago. The Alcohol Experiment was extremely helpful in adding mindfulness to my drinking. Ultimately, I decided that for me, drinking offered no benefits, so I cut it out toward the beginning of last year. Now, I'm down 20 lbs, and my relationships are better across the board.

I will say that the advent and proliferation of craft NA beer was also and continues to be a real lifesaver.