Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What are some of your nitpicking/ dislikes about today's menswear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Although I'm taller than average, I will side with the guys who think that 30" is too long to be the shortest inseam offered. I'm the same height as my father (6'), but I wear a 32 inseam and he wore a 29.

(I have heard that Peter Manning is a good source for clothes for shorter guys, but obviously I don't have any firsthand experience with their products.)

Also, ridiculously long sleeves on alpha-sized shirts drive me crazy. I'm specifically looking at you, J. Crew. Their "untucked" shirts supposedly have 1" shorter sleeves, but they only offer those based on the slim fit. How about "untucked slim" and "untucked classic"?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the passenger View Post
    Also, ridiculously long sleeves on alpha-sized shirts drive me crazy.
    Maybe I'm just a freak with very long arms and legs, but I have trouble finding shirt sleeves that are long enough unless I buy specific neck/sleeve length shirts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    Maybe I'm just a freak with very long arms and legs, but I have trouble finding shirt sleeves that are long enough unless I buy specific neck/sleeve length shirts.
    That's the great thing about dress shirts: most people can get the sleeve length they need. But styles are far more limited, and it wouldn't make sense for me to wear neck-and-sleeve-sized dress shirts in my daily life. If a company already offers tall sizing in its casual, alpha-sized shirts (as J. Crew does), then maybe the non-tall offerings don't need to have such overly long sleeves.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I wear things relatively slim, but slimmer the better mindset isn't really my thing.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Dubs View Post
    Agreed. I just want a pair of denim jeans. I have some stretchy jeans, and they're great. But I still want a pair of just "real," sturdy jeans. And I'm not willing to pay $100+ for a pair of selvedge whatever. I'm sure options are out there, but this past month I searched Gap, J Crew, Target, Levis, and Amazon for a basic pair of straight cut jeans without stretch. Got frustrated to the point of calling off the search and settling for a pair of Levis with stretch. (They're not terrible jeans, and I'm getting my money's worth out of them, but they're not exactly what I wanted.)

Try the Levis 501 in clean rigid.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    Ditto. I wear a medium in casual shirts and the sleeves are too short 90% of the time. I usually don't mind because I roll them up most of the time anyway.

However, this becomes an issue with dress shirts. I've started buying most of mine from Charles Trywhitt just because I can customize the sleeve length without it making the rest of the shirt bigger.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    I've found that to get a correct sleeve length without alterations, I need to get a shirt that is a very good fit as far as chest size and sleeve length.
    Last edited by ianr; January 8th, 2020 at 11:09 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    Try the Levis 501 in clean rigid.
    The Goodfellow Selvedge that was on sale at target a little while ago is fantastic denim for the price. Better than the 501 imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    MANDATORY INCLUSION OF STRETCH on every garment
    Ditto on the "stretch" fabric. Seems in many instances to just be an excuse to add polyester.

My example - and hear me out, please, as I will also preface by noting that a few years ago the Dappered main site also listed JC Penney Stafford sport coats as a decent budget friendly choice. It just so happens that the JC Penney sport coats usually fit me well right off the rack without requiring any alterations. Since I enjoyed having a variety of sport coats, every fall I would look forward to Penney's coming out with several new 100% wool sport coats. Depending on the patterns offered, I might sometimes buy 3 or 4 and by playing the typical sale/coupon game - pick them up for as little as $50, each.

In the fall of 2018 the new Penney's sport coats came out with the claim they now had "stretch". The catch was what was really going on is that now those previous 100% wool sport coats were now about a 75/25 or 60/40 wool polyester blend and priced the same or higher than the previous wool jackets. Deal killer. In 2019 they quit even pretending. The sport coats they began offering were now all 100% polyester and again priced the same or higher.

I thought when Penney's gave up on selling appliances they were going to refocus on their clothing lines. Very disappointed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExFed View Post
    Ditto on the "stretch" fabric. Seems in many instances to just be an excuse to add polyester.

My example - and hear me out, please, as I will also preface by noting that a few years ago the Dappered main site also listed JC Penney Stafford sport coats as a decent budget friendly choice. It just so happens that the JC Penney sport coats usually fit me well right off the rack without requiring any alterations. Since I enjoyed having a variety of sport coats, every fall I would look forward to Penney's coming out with several new 100% wool sport coats. Depending on the patterns offered, I might sometimes buy 3 or 4 and by playing the typical sale/coupon game - pick them up for as little as $50, each.

In the fall of 2018 the new Penney's sport coats came out with the claim they now had "stretch". The catch was what was really going on is that now those previous 100% wool sport coats were now about a 75/25 or 60/40 wool polyester blend and priced the same or higher than the previous wool jackets. Deal killer. In 2019 they quit even pretending. The sport coats they began offering were now all 100% polyester and again priced the same or higher.

I thought when Penney's gave up on selling appliances they were going to refocus on their clothing lines. Very disappointed.
    This is EXACTLY what I am talking about on the first page of this thread. Excellent anecdote to prove my point.