Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stylish hats for big noggins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Stylish hats for big noggins

Hi everyone,
    Hoping you can help me with tips for picking a cold-weather hat for my largish head (around 7 3/4) that provides warmth yet minimizes ridicule, beyond the usual baseball caps and beanies. Any styles that work better than others?
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1499 Post(s)
    What about something like this:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    I’ve got a Borsalino flat cap in a green and gold plaid pattern that fits my 7 3/4 noggin well. But it never gets cold enough here in SoCal to take full advantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    528 Post(s)
    I suppose it depends on what one considers "stylish" and "cold", as well as whether you want your ears covered as well, or just your head.

If the latter, there are countless flat caps/newsboys/drivers out there that look fantastic fully suited. A nice Harris Tweed would be hard to beat for warmth.

If you're looking to keep ears covered too in sub-zero temps, well then I'm afraid a beanie is about the best option. Lots of cashmere ones out there to choose from, and would be a first choice, with merino a VERY close second (and typically far less painful on the pocketbook).
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1137 Post(s)
    for cold, beanies. hand down. I think they are stylish too. or can be. Sometimes style is about knowing when to not overreach and stick to a tried and true classic. I tend to stay classic on things that you wear multiple times in a week. Coats, footwear, and hats are int hat category. I use stylistic flair on things like watches, socks, ties, shirts, and sweaters. If you stray too far you become known as "bowler hat guy".

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1137 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I suppose it depends on what one considers "stylish" and "cold", as well as whether you want your ears covered as well, or just your head.

If the latter, there are countless flat caps/newsboys/drivers out there that look fantastic fully suited. A nice Harris Tweed would be hard to beat for warmth.

If you're looking to keep ears covered too in sub-zero temps, well then I'm afraid a beanie is about the best option. Lots of cashmere ones out there to choose from, and would be a first choice, with merino a VERY close second (and typically far less painful on the pocketbook).
    is cashmere warm? I have experience with merino but not cashmere.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    is cashmere warm? I have experience with merino but not cashmere.
    Massively.

Extremely soft too, lending toward its preference for hats and scarves.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1137 Post(s)
    Massively.

Extremely soft too, lending toward its preference for hats and scarves.
    cool. I might take the plunge one day. I know the feel is great. I need a new merino first. Its my favorite for outdoor activities and I like to keep that cost manageable because I have lost them, torn them, and even burned them lol. Lost my latest last year and the weather down here has been so hot and cold (literally) that I havent been inspired to get a new one. My cotton have sufficed.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    cool. I might take the plunge one day. I know the feel is great. I need a new merino first. Its my favorite for outdoor activities and I like to keep that cost manageable because I have lost them, torn them, and even burned them lol. Lost my latest last year and the weather down here has been so hot and cold (literally) that I havent been inspired to get a new one. My cotton have sufficed.
    Alpaca is another one that, while typically between merino and a good cashmere in price, is nearly as soft as the latter.

It's not inexpensive, and the couple things I have in cashmere (a scarf and a sportcoat from suitsupply) were both bought at clearances in the spring.

For *MOST* individuals, a quality merino will fit the bill juuuuuuust fine, and leave a good chunk after the purchase (compared to cashmere) for a nice cigar.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1137 Post(s)
    Alpaca is another one that, while typically between merino and a good cashmere in price, is nearly as soft as the latter.

It's not inexpensive, and the couple things I have in cashmere (a scarf and a sportcoat from suitsupply) were both bought at clearances in the spring.

For *MOST* individuals, a quality merino will fit the bill juuuuuuust fine, and leave a good chunk after the purchase (compared to cashmere) for a nice cigar.
    one thing I like about merino is it still stays relatively warm when it gets wet. How do alpaca and cashmere do? I can google but I always like talking to someone that uses something, especially if its anything like the way I do.