Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spier & Mackay Camel Overcoat Review

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Spier & Mackay Camel Overcoat Review

Long time lurker, first time poster. I saw a lot of discussion about the S&M overcoats; since I was also considering them for a long time I finally pulled the trigger during their Black Friday sale. Hereís my review for others who are still considering it.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/camel...oat-37508.html

The biggest question on the forum was sizing and I highly suggest sizing up if you plan to wear over a suit. I am a size 38R in suit jackets so I sized up to a 40 for this overcoat and it was perfect. It fits over a suit comfortably without having to fight it to put it on. Once on, it still looks cohesive rather than like a kid wearing his dadís coat. I know the website says to order your regular size to fit over a suit, but I highly recommend discarding that advice and sizing up a size.

The fabric is amazingly is soft. Itís very smooth.

The color is darker and richer than in the picture, and for the better. On the website, the coat looks like a bright yellowish shade of tan, which made me nervous. In person, however, itís a darker almost golden tan. Itís a true camel color and it is absolutely beautiful.

As for function, the coat is incredibly warm. I wore it over a suit in low-30s weather and I was comfortable throughout the night. And Iíve worn it in the mid-20s with just a lambswool turtleneck and it kept me warm.

Overall, I highly recommend this coat. It is an incredible value. Iíve been researching camel coats for a long time and there is no better value out there. Other camel coats for this same quality is going for literally double the price; whereas those at a similar price range is drenched in polyester.

Last seasonís overcoats are going for $200-$250 and I highly recommend grabbing one while you can. Theyíre a steal at that price. You wonít regret it.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/shop/...outerwear.html
    Last edited by garryowen47; December 15th, 2019 at 02:59 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    man i have been wanting one of these since they released them last year. They are amazing!

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1495 Post(s)
    Wow. Those are damn nice coats. Good review too. I've been wearing my JC topcoat religiously for the past couple of years. But in reading your review of the S&M coat I'm starting to think that switching it up might be in order.

You're right about the colour though. In looking at the coat on their site, the colour is yellowish. Any chance you can post some photos of your coat?

Cheers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Wow. Those are damn nice coats. Good review too. I've been wearing my JC topcoat religiously for the past couple of years. But in reading your review of the S&M coat I'm starting to think that switching it up might be in order.

You're right about the colour though. In looking at the coat on their site, the colour is yellowish. Any chance you can post some photos of your coat?

Cheers.
    Same for me. When I need a coat like this, I'll wear my probably 8 year old JCrew topcoat too (black). Those Spier coats look really nice though. I'll feel like my JCrew coat is a little long now, and consequently seems a little out of style, meaning I don't reach for it unless I absolutely need to. I think I might wear those Spier coats more though. I wish they had a 40 in the final sale ones - I would buy a camel, charcoal, and navy if they had them. Can't beat that for $200. At $400... I know it's worth, but that's getting into the "I need to be sure I will wear this a lot price" to justify it. If money was no object, I'd happily buy each color plus that houndstooth one.

Does Spier typically do final sales when they are left with the 'not-so-normal' sizes? I'm guessing I won't be lucky enough to score anything in 40R.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I would love to post a pic but posting pics on here isn't entirely intuitive. Or maybe I'm a Luddite...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garryowen47 View Post
    I would love to post a pic but posting pics on here isn't entirely intuitive. Or maybe I'm a Luddite...
    As a fellow Luddite, I found that you need to download the Tapatalk app on your phone, then upload pictures that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    As if I donít have enough apps on my phone... but as a service to the Dappered community, hereís my pic.

Note: I am 5í9Ē (on a good day) 180 lbs. Thereís also room to comfortably layer a sweater beneath the suit jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesape View Post
    I wish they had a 40 in the final sale ones - I would buy a camel, charcoal, and navy if they had them. Can't beat that for $200. At $400... I know it's worth, but that's getting into the "I need to be sure I will wear this a lot price" to justify it. If money was no object, I'd happily buy each color plus that houndstooth one.
    This probably won't help your wallet, but they do have the camel wool/cashmere final sale in 40R.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=ianr;316889]This probably won't help your wallet, but they do have the camel wool/cashmere final sale in 40R.[

You got me excited for a second until I dug into it and realized it was the double breasted version. I like the single breasted versions.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1495 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garryowen47 View Post
    Create an account at Imgur
    Upload your photos there
    Copy the link
    Create your post here
    Click on the 'insert image' link
    Paste your link from Imgur
    Done!

Or, as others have stated use TapTalk. Makes the process pretty seamless. Cheers.