Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Interest in a 2019 Submariner Date (11610LN)?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Depending on where you live (i.e., if in a major metropolitan area), there are definitely reputable luxury watch resellers locally who would absolutely buy your submariner back at MSRP + taxes, without hesitation. But if you flip it, you're absolutely going to burn your bridges at your AD (which might not be that big of a deal if you're a Seiko guy).

Don't work with bobswatches. I've heard that they're absolutely a ripoff for reselling.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lax101 View Post
    Depending on where you live (i.e., if in a major metropolitan area), there are definitely reputable luxury watch resellers locally who would absolutely buy your submariner back at MSRP + taxes, without hesitation. But if you flip it, you're absolutely going to burn your bridges at your AD (which might not be that big of a deal if you're a Seiko guy).

Don't work with bobswatches. I've heard that they're absolutely a ripoff for reselling.
    I’d second this...high end re-sellers are selling pristine 116610LN’s for $11k in Dallas.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    I’d second this...high end re-sellers are selling pristine 116610LN’s for $11k in Dallas.
    My interest to sell has returned again, and I do plan on parting with by Sub at this point. I have received a few offers from Bob's Watches, Crown and Caliber, DavidSW. Pretty much all of them will give $7500 for the watch. Obviously having paid about 9200/9300 post tax just last year, this seems like not that great of deal. Do you know of any recommended places in Dallas that will offer higher like you said? Of course with the shelter-in-place order, I'm not sure how these businesses are operating right now—perhaps only through the mail. I've tried some places in Houston but haven't really heard back from them. Like you said, I'm surprised these resellers aren't trying hard to get my watch since they are reselling them at prices like 11k.

I've also considered eBay since I sell many things on there and you can get a better price (even after fees). However, I've read too many horror stories about expensive items like this where the seller gets shafted by a scammer and such. I don't think it's worth it to try this.

If anyone is still interested and wants to offer a higher price than the aforementioned business, of course I'd consider it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    My honest advice right now would be to avoid reselling your submariner given the current economic climate, unless you absolutely need to do so. Prices on used luxury watches are definitely taking a hit right now, and although a 2019 steel submariner is going to be very safe in general in terms of resale value, the entire market right now is definitely a buyer's market.

I would say that the market price for a used Submariner date is approximately $9000-9500 right now if you're buying from an individual seller (especially one without any references/selling history) and $9500-10000 if you're buying from a more reputable reseller/retailer (e.g., Bob's Watches, WatchBox/Govberg, etc.). Because you're leaning heavily towards selling to a reseller/retailer, I'm not surprised to hear that the best offer you've received so far is $7500--it's on the low side, yes, but no reseller is going to pay $9000 for your submariner if it's only going to flip it for $9500-10000.

Also, Rolex should be releasing its 2020 product line any week now, and one of the strongest rumors is that they'll be updating their current submariner line (and discontinuing the existing submariner line). While I don't think there's more than a 20% chance this will actually happen (Rolex is notoriously secretive and hard to predict), any existing submariners would get a meaningful price bump on the used market if they were to be discontinued.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aręte View Post
    My interest to sell has returned again, and I do plan on parting with by Sub at this point. I have received a few offers from Bob's Watches, Crown and Caliber, DavidSW. Pretty much all of them will give $7500 for the watch. Obviously having paid about 9200/9300 post tax just last year, this seems like not that great of deal. Do you know of any recommended places in Dallas that will offer higher like you said? Of course with the shelter-in-place order, I'm not sure how these businesses are operating right now—perhaps only through the mail. I've tried some places in Houston but haven't really heard back from them. Like you said, I'm surprised these resellers aren't trying hard to get my watch since they are reselling them at prices like 11k.

I've also considered eBay since I sell many things on there and you can get a better price (even after fees). However, I've read too many horror stories about expensive items like this where the seller gets shafted by a scammer and such. I don't think it's worth it to try this.

If anyone is still interested and wants to offer a higher price than the aforementioned business, of course I'd consider it.
    Honestly you're picking the worst possible time to sell right now (unless you're selling to buy another watch which has also dropped in price). Offering you 7.5k to sell for ~9.5k seems about right to me, 20-25% profit for them to take professional photos, authentication, put in the effort / time required to sell it, deal with potential buyers, etc. Plus for big purchases there's a huge difference between buying from a trusted seller like the above vs. buying from a private seller, and that accounts for part of the premium too. If you look at consignment stores for clothing, shoes, whatever, you see roughly the same margins (if not more).
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2144 Post(s)
    Yep this is a terrible time to sell, or the start of an even terribler time to sell. But I think it's only going to get worse so... maybe it's the right time to sell if you're going to sell at all?

I had wondered what could possibly burst the Rolex bubble. This COVID-19-induced economic crisis will probably do it.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the advice. I sold it today to a local, big city dealer. Got 8k for it—pretty satisfied. A lot better than shipping it to some of the online dealers that were offering an initial $7500 but would likely lower it a few hundred after seeing the condition.