Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you buy anything from Spier and McKay?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan View Post
    They are constantly sold out of staple suit colors in 44s (as well as almost every other size). What is the secret to this system?
    We stopped carrying 44s OTR a while ago. Not enough demand. You can order through MTO. At $498 for a base 110s it's still a great deal for something that you get to make to you're own options.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    I’ve only been able to buy something in my size once, and it was a pair of their suede double monk straps. The moment I got them out of the box, I could tell that it was some of the worst suede I’ve ever seen, and I returned them without trying them on.
    I wouldn't say they're known for their shoes so don't let that be a representative example of the whole company's offerings.
    @Mad Martigan I'd watch the StyFo thread for product releases.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I think many people donít have an idea how small a company they are. Iíve heard from the owner that for some items in some sizes there might only be two pieces available.

Having said that, most items in more popular sizes (such as jackets in 40R) tend to be available for enough time that you donít need to sit there and try to buy it within the minutes itís posted online. It is true that you do need to check for new item drops and news on SF or their blog/email list. Donít expect things to necessarily continue to be available a month or two after they are released.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    They have some nice stuff, but it takes too much effort to find a size in stock. It's a waste of time. A bunch of people seem to like the company and its offerings, so they need to realize this and get more inventory.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    They have some nice stuff, but it takes too much effort to find a size in stock. It's a waste of time. A bunch of people seem to like the company and its offerings, so they need to realize this and get more inventory.
    THe company wrote back above. Perhaps you should DM them with your idea...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    287 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    That requires revenue. They seem to be cautious about making too many changes to their current model too quickly because they'd like to stay in business. I'm sure that they keep track of what is selling and what sits around until it sells at 40% of the original cost. I get that it's frustrating to not see your size, and I also get that they are not running the business to cater to an individual customer. Saying they should get more stock massively oversimplifies the issue.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    Though, if you could have an option to be emailed when a size in a certain item is restocked, that would be great. I didn't see any option on their website for notifications like that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    554 Post(s)
    I will say I am sharing this frustration this am. Wife said to buy a couple more Sportcoats since there is the last day of their sale. Their searching and filters are terrible. It says there are 45 options in 40R contemporary. The first 10 or so are out of stock completely of all sizes. The others donít have 40R at all.

I want to give them money and I just got frustrated and gave up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Rick from Spier and Mackay is well aware of the website issues but it's not a quick fix--the only solution is a wholesale redo of the back end as well as the site itself. That's been in the works for a while and is expected to be completed soon. Patience is a virtue.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlstein View Post
    Rick from Spier and Mackay is well aware of the website issues but it's not a quick fix--the only solution is a wholesale redo of the back end as well as the site itself. That's been in the works for a while and is expected to be completed soon. Patience is a virtue.
    I work in enterprise retail software and am acutely familiar with the issue.

On other sites, whether you see how the back-end data is organized or not, they frequently consider a different fit to be a different item master and each standard size as a different SKU for inventory purposes. Thus, if you had "slim" and "contemporary" as your fits with "38S" and "40R" as your available sizes, there may be two item definitions (slim, contemporary) and two size variants for each item definition (38S, 40R). Some fashion websites simply list each fit as a different item, others create product pages that act as the parent data for the child items. The alternative is to have fits*sizes SKUs, in this case 4 SKUs. The fits+sizes is a common solution to the problem with a new problem introduced where every time you add a new fit, you add a slew of new SKUs for the corresponding sizes.

A mistake I see is tagging the fit as a special group like you would "blue" or "wool." Blue or wool work fine since every inventoried item within that item definition is going to share that attribute regardless of size. But, if you define an item as being a member or two fits, a data query referencing groups will show both fits as available inventory even if only one is in stock.

TL;DR I agree it would require a redo of the data structure as it looks like it is not in a standard form.