Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Another help with outfit for a holiday party thread

  1. #1
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)

    Another help with outfit for a holiday party thread

    My wife and I are attending a dance holiday party, By dance party I mean the party is at the studio where we take ballroom dance lessons.

    Attire runs the gamut from chinos, collared shirt and Christmas sweater to suits.

    I'd like to be somewhere in the middle.

    This what I was thinking of wearing.

    Brooks Brothers Brown tweed sports jacket
    Banana Republic medium grey slacks
    Brooks Brothers light blue dress shirt

    I need some help accesorizing.

    Footwear either a pair or brown/coffee AE 5th Avenue shoes or something similar from Becket Simon in tan.

    Tie: Was thinking something red or at least maroon in homage to the holiday.

    Maybe a vest in navy or tan tweed. (Vest haters please be kind here )

    Pocket Square ?

    Appreciate the help and really open to suggestions.

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    651
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    My thoughts are that for a dance party you'll want something you can easily move in, and a tweed jacket doesn't sound like a great option to me. Possibly also the vest depending on how you wear it.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    I wasn't sold initially on the burgundy tie, but I found this picture and it looks pretty good. Unless your vest matches your jacket (and in that case I'd wear a 3 piece suit) I don't know if it's worth playing color bingo with the jacket, shirt, pants, and vest. A green wool tie could also work with the brown jacket.


  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,380
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    My thoughts are that for a dance party you'll want something you can easily move in, and a tweed jacket doesn't sound like a great option to me. Possibly also the vest depending on how you wear it.
    I agree with this. When I took lessons for my wedding it didn’t take much moving and it was already warm in there.

    I’d go vest and holiday themed tie. Either black watch or Scott clan (partial to this one) are pretty Christmas in nature.

  5. #5
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    My wife and I are attending a dance holiday party, By dance party I mean the party is at the studio where we take ballroom dance lessons.

    Attire runs the gamut from chinos, collared shirt and Christmas sweater to suits.

    I'd like to be somewhere in the middle.

    This what I was thinking of wearing.

    Brooks Brothers Brown tweed sports jacket
    Banana Republic medium grey slacks
    Brooks Brothers light blue dress shirt

    I need some help accesorizing.

    Footwear either a pair or brown/coffee AE 5th Avenue shoes or something similar from Becket Simon in tan.

    Tie: Was thinking something red or at least maroon in homage to the holiday.

    Maybe a vest in navy or tan tweed. (Vest haters please be kind here )

    Pocket Square ?

    Appreciate the help and really open to suggestions.
    This is not an accessory but my favorite holiday party shirt is the Hugh and Crye Sequoia because it's a navy base with a small windowpane check in red, green and white - the primary holiday season colors. https://www.hughandcrye.com/collecti...vy-green-plaid

    Seems like it would be killer with the rest of that ensemble. Only issue is whether the jacket has a pattern that might clash with the pattern on the shirt.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Just to clarify: although I agree the tweed might seem too heavy for dancing all night, most of the time we will be sitting watching "better" dancers perform in a showcase.

    It will a night of mostly watching, sitting, eating and drinking with a dance or two mixed in. I'm especially talented in the eating and drinking categories.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,151
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    I think the traditional choice for ballroom dancing is evening wear, and that if a tux is too formal, then a dark suit would be the traditional choice. Brown tweed is a bit more rustic, but if being in the middle between suits and holiday causal is your goal, then I think you have hit it.

    I would go with the 5th Aves with out even thinking about it.

    As far as the vests, it would be hard to decide which vest is better, without seeing how they compare to the jacket. In my opinion, you should go with whichever has more contrast. Contrast is good. I also suggest you do a test run to see how warm two layers of tweed are after a dance. (Dance in your outfit one time at home.)

    A tie is the best way to add a festive touch to your outfit, do you already own a red or burgundy tie or are you looking for suggestions.

    A pocket square would work, just make sure that it has enough contrast with your jacket and doesn't compete with your tie.

  8. #8
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Make sure the shoes you can move in. Ditch the tie for a more festive pocket square


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I think the traditional choice for ballroom dancing is evening wear, and that if a tux is too formal, then a dark suit would be the traditional choice. Brown tweed is a bit more rustic, but if being in the middle between suits and holiday causal is your goal, then I think you have hit it.

    I would go with the 5th Aves with out even thinking about it.

    As far as the vests, it would be hard to decide which vest is better, without seeing how they compare to the jacket. In my opinion, you should go with whichever has more contrast. Contrast is good. I also suggest you do a test run to see how warm two layers of tweed are after a dance. (Dance in your outfit one time at home.)

    A tie is the best way to add a festive touch to your outfit, do you already own a red or burgundy tie or are you looking for suggestions.

    A pocket square would work, just make sure that it has enough contrast with your jacket and doesn't compete with your tie.
    You are right of course. Dark suit would fit the bill better. Nothing wrong with being one of the better dressed men there anyway, right?

    So what do you think about.

    Charcoal Gray suit

    Light Blue striped Shirt

    Red Pin dot tie.

    White Pocket Square

    Shoes. Black would be the traditional match but would brown work? I've read everything to yes to definitely not. I know oxblood would work but sadly I don't have a pair in my collection.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •