Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)

Taptalk security issues

Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Editing posts on mobile devices isn't possible. It automatically defaults to selecting the "delete post" radio button and no matter what you do, if you edit the post and click "submit" (or whatever the commit funciton is) it deletes.

Any way to turn that default to deletion off and allow editing from mobile devices?
    You can use tapatalk. It allows editing and direct uploading from your phone.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    You can use tapatalk. It allows editing and direct uploading from your phone.
    It also has an embedded keystroke logger running even when tapatalk isnt open.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Give in. Resistance is futile.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Give in. Resistance is futile.

https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    Err, can you expand on this? I have the app on my phone and am not keen on being tracked...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Err, can you expand on this? I have the app on my phone and am not keen on being tracked...
    company claims the keylogger is limited to what you type when using the app, so they can aggregate/sell that to targeted advertising (amazon, google, etc).

independent research has shown the app to be actively sending unknown encrypted data when the app is not running, leading many to assess that the keystroke logger function runs when not utilizing the app itself. what it records, what it stores, and what it sends during that time is unknown (so at least it's encrypted, i suppose).
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    company claims the keylogger is limited to what you type when using the app, so they can aggregate/sell that to targeted advertising (amazon, google, etc).

independent research has shown the app to be actively sending unknown encrypted data when the app is not running, leading many to assess that the keystroke logger function runs when not utilizing the app itself. what it records, what it stores, and what it sends during that time is unknown (so at least it's encrypted, i suppose).
    source?

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2143 Post(s)
    I know Google is probably not the most trustworthy when it comes to data sharing/privacy but I always use the Google Chrome app and request desktop site function on my phone. Not as easy to use on a touchscreen but obviously it gives you all the desktop site functions including editing and such.

This has become more of a PITA recently as recent app updates now mean that tabs revert to the mobile version of a site every time you leave them and you have to re-request to use the desktop site every time, whereas previously an open tab would remember whether you wanted to be in the desktop site even if you soft-closed the app.
    Ben

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    source?
    Research performed for a specific DoD client while I was a CDC prior to my return to full-time status as an AGR.

As in I was one of the researchers testing the app.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Research performed for a specific DoD client while I was a CDC prior to my return to full-time status as an AGR.

As in I was one of the researchers testing the app.
    That's interesting that Tapatalk has been around for almost two decades and nothing at all ever has been mentioned on the internet about there being a keylogger. iOS is also sandboxed OS. No app can affect any other app, take information from another app, or edit system settings. A keylogger can't work on iOS unless you have jailbroken it. Apps can contain keyloggers, but they can't keylogger other apps. If an app did contain a keylogger it either wouldn't be allowed on the app store or would be removed asap. Also, if your client, DOD or otherwise knew about it, and never reported it, makes them pretty shit imo. BTW. I'm retired military.