Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Taptalk security issues

  1. #11
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    That's interesting that Tapatalk has been around for almost two decades and nothing at all ever has been mentioned on the internet about there being a keylogger. iOS is also sandboxed OS. No app can affect any other app, take information from another app, or edit system settings. A keylogger can't work on iOS unless you have jailbroken it. Apps can contain keyloggers, but they can't keylogger other apps. If an app did contain a keylogger it either wouldn't be allowed on the app store or would be removed asap. Also, if your client, DOD or otherwise knew about it, and never reported it, makes them pretty shit imo. BTW. I'm retired military.
    The nature of the client means that if it was public that the client knew about it, a lot of people around the world would be at immediate risk.

  2. #12
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,576
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    The nature of the client means that if it was public that the client knew about it, a lot of people around the world would be at immediate risk.
    Sounds like complete bullshit. IMO.

  3. #13
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,576
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Fact of the matter is, most military techies are novice compared to civilians, if there was an exploit on tapatalk keylogging people, it would have been made public long ago. Anyone in the tech world knows that. Apple has computer dorks doing nothing all day but looking for exploits in apps they put on their Apple Store, specifically looking for these things.

  4. #14
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Fact of the matter is, most military techies are novice compared to civilians, if there was an exploit on tapatalk keylogging people, it would have been made public long ago. Anyone in the tech world knows that. Apple has computer dorks doing nothing all day but looking for exploits in apps they put on their Apple Store, specifically looking for these things.
    You do understand apple isnt the only mobile operating system right?

    Given such a narrow focus it's not surprising to see you have no idea how the real world works.

  5. #15
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Sounds like complete bullshit. IMO.
    I really don't care what it sounds like. It is what it is.

    If you aren't experienced in clandestine matters maybe you should quit pontificating while you're behind.

  6. #16
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,576
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I really don't care what it sounds like. It is what it is.

    If you aren't experienced in clandestine matters maybe you should quit pontificating while you're behind.
    Probably because you got caught and called-out for being a liar and bullshitter. You make the extraordinary claim "It also has an embedded keystroke logger running even when Tapatalk isnt open." about an app that a good percent of this forum uses. When I asked you for a "source", because absolutely nowhere on the internet is it even mentioned that Tapatalk has a key-logger, you couldn't come up with one, so you used yourself as the source (laughable), and of course you didnt address any of my other points about iOS being sandboxed and that it isnt possible that it's key-logging anything, and that Apple techies scour all apps before putting them on their Apple Store specifically for this type of exploit. This is something that people with even rudimentary tech-skills know. So you, Mr. "Clandestine", come up with more Secret Squirrel bullshit that "The nature of the client means that if it was public that the client knew about it, a lot of people around the world would be at immediate risk." Again, laughable. Some super secret DOD client is concerned with Tapatalk and it's so super secret they wouldnt reveal it to the public, because a lot of people around the world would be at immediate risk. So super secret that one of it's only sources posts it openly on a menswear forum. You probably shouldn't bullshit about things on a forum that people are much smarter than you in, unless you are going to go down the "LOL I WAS ONLY KIDDING" road, which makes you a dickhead because lots of people use that app and might not now because of your bullshit post. Of course, you can stick to your story and I am more than glad to contact Tapatalk and have a Tapatalk rep come and learn you on here.

  7. #17
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,576
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Oh, and...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #18
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,654
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Probably because you got caught and called-out for being a liar and bullshitter. You make the extraordinary claim "It also has an embedded keystroke logger running even when Tapatalk isnt open." about an app that a good percent of this forum uses. When I asked you for a "source", because absolutely nowhere on the internet is it even mentioned that Tapatalk has a key-logger, you couldn't come up with one, so you used yourself as the source (laughable), and of course you didnt address any of my other points about iOS being sandboxed and that it isnt possible that it's key-logging anything, and that Apple techies scour all apps before putting them on their Apple Store specifically for this type of exploit. This is something that people with even rudimentary tech-skills know. So you, Mr. "Clandestine", come up with more Secret Squirrel bullshit that "The nature of the client means that if it was public that the client knew about it, a lot of people around the world would be at immediate risk." Again, laughable. Some super secret DOD client is concerned with Tapatalk and it's so super secret they wouldnt reveal it to the public, because a lot of people around the world would be at immediate risk. So super secret that one of it's only sources posts it openly on a menswear forum. You probably shouldn't bullshit about things on a forum that people are much smarter than you in, unless you are going to go down the "LOL I WAS ONLY KIDDING" road, which makes you a dickhead because lots of people use that app and might not now because of your bullshit post. Of course, you can stick to your story and I am more than glad to contact Tapatalk and have a Tapatalk rep come and learn you on here.
    Come on--Is that kind of name calling necessary? If your point is that he's wrong, you can make the point without insulting him.

    I'm pretty sure it's against TOS for the forum.

    I'm also pretty sure that I've read articles claiming that some apps on phones are gathering data in the background all the time, depending on your settings for an app. I couldn't find anything about a key logger for tapatalk either, but that doesn't mean that it's not collecting other date.

    And I don't have any time to do any research right now.

    But please consider matching your manners to the way you dress.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  9. #19
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,576
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Come on--Is that kind of name calling necessary? If your point is that he's wrong, you can make the point without insulting him.

    I'm pretty sure it's against TOS for the forum.

    I'm also pretty sure that I've read articles claiming that some apps on phones are gathering data in the background all the time, depending on your settings for an app. I couldn't find anything about a key logger for tapatalk either, but that doesn't mean that it's not collecting other date.

    And I don't have any time to do any research right now.

    But please consider matching your manners to the way you dress.
    Making a blatantly false extraordinary claim about an app that has been recommended by the site to use on this site should be bannable and is against TOS. A great many users on this forum, solely use that app on here and the site and are now not going to. Traffic and revenue will be lost. If someone knowingly does that, they ARE a dickhead. I never said he WAS a dickhead. Don’t misquote me. I am also contacting Tapatalk, Ill let them contact Admin and put this to rest.

  10. #20
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,654
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Probably because you got caught and called-out for being a liar and bullshitter. You make the extraordinary claim "It also has an embedded keystroke logger running even when Tapatalk isnt open." about an app that a good percent of this forum uses. When I asked you for a "source", because absolutely nowhere on the internet is it even mentioned that Tapatalk has a key-logger, you couldn't come up with one, so you used yourself as the source (laughable), and of course you didnt address any of my other points about iOS being sandboxed and that it isnt possible that it's key-logging anything, and that Apple techies scour all apps before putting them on their Apple Store specifically for this type of exploit. This is something that people with even rudimentary tech-skills know. So you, Mr. "Clandestine", come up with more Secret Squirrel bullshit that "The nature of the client means that if it was public that the client knew about it, a lot of people around the world would be at immediate risk." Again, laughable. Some super secret DOD client is concerned with Tapatalk and it's so super secret they wouldnt reveal it to the public, because a lot of people around the world would be at immediate risk. So super secret that one of it's only sources posts it openly on a menswear forum. You probably shouldn't bullshit about things on a forum that people are much smarter than you in, unless you are going to go down the "LOL I WAS ONLY KIDDING" road, which makes you a dickhead because lots of people use that app and might not now because of your bullshit post. Of course, you can stick to your story and I am more than glad to contact Tapatalk and have a Tapatalk rep come and learn you on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Making a blatantly false extraordinary claim about an app that has been recommended by the site to use on this site should be bannable and is against TOS. A great many users on this forum, solely use that app on here and the site and are now not going to. Traffic and revenue will be lost. If someone knowingly does that, they ARE a dickhead. I never said he WAS a dickhead. Don’t misquote me. I am also contacting Tapatalk, Ill let them contact Admin and put this to rest.
    I didn't misquote you. Those are your exact words. See? They are right there for everyone to read. All I did was emphasis them.

    And you can make your point without the name-calling.
    Last edited by mebejoseph; December 7th, 2019 at 10:43 AM.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •