Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jackets / Sweaters to keep warm in a cold office

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    @LesserBlackDog - I hear you RE removability, and am trying the cardigan route as a first step.
    Still like the idea of a very warming base layer though. Would be ideal if I could just wear that and my button ups around the office.

As for a down vest, I have coworkers that go that route. While I don't think it looks bad per-se, I can't seem to pull off vests. I've tried, and somehow they always seem to look just... odd on me. For whatever reason, I'm just not a fan. So while good advice, I'll probably skip that path.

The sweater you linked from Gap is the one I have. I have it in several colors. My house is always cool and I can't keep it on in the house. It's just too warm.
    That sounds like my kind of sweater! If the one I ordered from Old Navy doesn't work out (or more so if it DOES work out), I have the second cardigan I'll order on lock. Thanks for the real-world testimony there!

The fleece lined base layers provide a LOT of warmth. My wife also runs cold and she was toasty with them skiing.
    If they're that heavy, I should probably go with something medium-weight. To @LesserBlackDog's point, I don't want to overheat and have to try to take off everything in the bathroom.

Could go with plain old cotton. Long sleeve waffle knit T and long john bottoms
    - I have some of these, and wear them. The basic cotton waffle knit isn't quite warm enough. I find I reach for my coat often enough to justify upping the ante a bit. I don't really need the long john pants because many of my pants are built to be extra warm (uniqulo heattech)

A lot of people here have said good things about the Uniqlo Heat Tech long johns and they are affordable
    given my positive experience with uniqulo's heat tech in pants etc, I was considering buying a heattech undershirt to see if that makes a difference. With your comment adding support, I'll pull the trigger on this to try it out

@Burner thanks for the ideas. Gap cardigan is definitely on my shortlist. I do already own the 32 degrees base layers from costco, and they don't offer much warmth. Will check out the peak velocity option from amazon though! Bottom half is usually ok, since I frequently uniqlo's heattech line in chinos.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)

Summing up our conclusions

For those that join the dialogue late, or in the future, here's a summary of some of the advice i've found most helpful:
    - Find a better, more warm option for base layers
    - But don't go TOO warm, because you can't easily remove a base
    - Get the gap cardigan we've linked to. Or other chunky cardigans.
    - Don't forget about your bottom half, where heat can be lost
    - A vest could be a good option, or a small space heater for your desk (if the office would allow it), or in more formal offices a wool blazer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    @Ron - I went back through the last few pages of the WIWT thread. I believe you posted that Gap sweater in different colors on back-to-back days last week. And @DocDave wore it (I think) in a third color a couple weeks prior. These photos made me pull the trigger on Cyber Monday for ~$36. Great deal.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Might take a while to find either of these options cheaper, but Dehen or North Sea Clothing sweaters are very thick and warm.

https://dehen1920.com/collections/sw...oat-2-darknavy
    https://northseaclothing.com/collect...-cardigan-navy

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paintflinger View Post
    Might take a while to find either of these options cheaper, but Dehen or North Sea Clothing sweaters are very thick and warm.
    https://dehen1920.com/collections/sw...oat-2-darknavy
    https://northseaclothing.com/collect...-cardigan-navy
    Beautiful coats, but too pricey for my taste.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    These photos made me pull the trigger on Cyber Monday for ~$36. Great deal.
    I would have snagged two of them at that price point! They look great. The one I ordered from Old Navy came today, and seems like it'll be a solid go-to. SUUUUPER soft, and makes me feel professorial

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    If you want warmth, lambs wool is the traditional option. It isn't as fine as merino, but usually comes in thicker and warmer clothes. Cashmere is much warmer than wool, but is also more expensive and therefore often thinner in garments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    A cardigan plus wool socks keep me warm in the office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Over the calf socks can do wonders to keep your legs warm.