Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holiday Party Help

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    I donít buy into the upstaging the boss risk...my boss has an amazing plaid sport coat that he wears to our company Christmas party every year, and Iíve always envied it. Last year I got my own amazing plaid sport to wear to our Christmas party and nobody was more impressed than him. I think getting festive and buying into the fun of the event actually buys you a lot of credit with the higher ups...Heís obviously there to enjoy himself at a big event, and I think it shows support that youíre buying into the event.

That being said, why not take the purple velvet blazer and wear it with tux pants to the first party? Seems like the best of both worlds.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Are the lapels of the velvet jacket the same as the body of the jacket or contrasting? Matching the tie to the lapel is a thought. As for the tux, if youíre wanting to be bad ass, but more subtle than the boss, a straight tie could be an option. Keeps the tux but dials back the formality, while still looking sharp. Technically a no-no, but it could work out well for all concerned. Iíd go with a more formal straight tie, rather than holiday themed, as that might look more thrown together and less put together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1518 Post(s)
    Our Christmas party is this week. I'd say that 95% of the men will be office casual. Chinos and an OCBD or something like that. The heads guys will be in a suit and tie, and I plan on wearing one too. Not because I want to show them up or anything. Just because I think it is easier for me to wear a suit and tie. Going casual raises all sorts of questions for me. How casual is too casual? What Chinos and shirt combo is fits the mood? etc. A suit and tie just makes it simple.

Plus if the head dudes know me/remember my name, all the better. At least I hope they will remember me for all the right reasons.
    Last edited by DocDave; December 5th, 2019 at 12:31 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    If the boss' ego is fragile enough that someone else wearing a tuxedo is a problem, then it's usually also susceptible to flattery. Should you get the sense during the evening the boss feels threatened, just make a point of telling other people in his hearing how much you admired how well he dresses and that you took your cue from him.

That said, the velvet jacket could be a nice compromise. Let the texture and purple colour of the jacket be the star, and go simple black and white for everything else. It's an easy trick to take a strict, traditional tuxedo outfit and swap in the velvet jacket, especially if it has silk- or satin-faced lapels; it breaks the rules, but in a way that conveys you know what you're doing. Purple velvet is a lot of visual stimulation when it covers more than half your body, adding additional colors or patterns risks Joker comparisons.

I presume you're going to see some of the same people at both events, and purple velvet will be memorable so I can see why wearing it twice isn't ideal. In that case I'd go with the full tuxedo for Tulsa but with a festive tie and pocket square, then wear the tuxedo outfit with the velvet jacket, black bow tie (maybe velvet) and white pocket square in DC.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    534 Post(s)
    Thanks all. Iíve never got the impression my boss has a fragile ego. He always sits down when in town with me. We go out for drinks etc. but best buddies but def not strangers.

The purple jacket is all one color. Wish I could justify a dinner jacket but I rarely get to use my tux as is.

Off to search for maybe a velvet bow tie for the tux to add something and looks like Iím set for the purple jacket with a simple black and white theme with that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    ... In that case I'd go with the full tuxedo for Tulsa but with a festive tie and pocket square, then wear the tuxedo outfit with the velvet jacket, black bow tie (maybe velvet) and white pocket square in DC.
    Still can't seem to edit without deleting posts: "festive tie" should be "festive bow tie."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    .... I will admit that one year I even did one of these, though many of you might gasp.

https://www.amazon.com/YanLen-Pack-F.../dp/B0793M4DR6

***gasp!!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    Still can't seem to edit without deleting posts: "festive tie" should be "festive bow tie."
    a regular computer/laptop should work for proper editing; my phone is the same way. edits default to deletions no matter what. i can't un-select the "delete post" radio button.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)
    Nowadays I don't care much about matching my outfit's level formality with others. My outfit is more formal/dressy than others in many occasions.

So, if a tux is appropriate for the venue, theme, occasion, time, etc, I would probably wear the tux. If I got fired because my tux was better, I would say this (in my head), "Thanks, boss! You just told me the kind of person you are and I don't want to work for you anyway."