Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rewards and cash back maximizing - How much of it do you do?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    @armedferret

You can't escape. "They" are getting hundreds of pages of information about everything they do and aggregating it.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/11...Cn2e5S-MCr5gTc

But I don't bother shopping around with ebates and similar. It's not worth the time to me. I do have a couple of rewards CC I shop with. One offers extra points if I have its web browser extension installed. I do that.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    @armedferret

You can't escape. "They" are getting hundreds of pages of information about everything they do and aggregating it.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/11...Cn2e5S-MCr5gTc

But I don't bother shopping around with ebates and similar. It's not worth the time to me. I do have a couple of rewards CC I shop with. One offers extra points if I have its web browser extension installed. I do that.
    Oh I'm well aware.

Protecting certain members of dod in this arena is kinda my game....there's ways around it.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    This is a timely thread. Out of some combination of suspicion and perceived hassle, I have never used these types of rewards (outside my normal X% cash back credit card). Until yesterday...

I have been in the market for a do-all four-season navy wool blazer for over a year. Based on previous threads here, I settled on unstructured hopsack with patch pockets as the target style. S&M and Bonobos seemed to best fit the bill, with S&M the frontrunner due to price. But they never seemed to have my size during any of their sales and I couldn't stomach full price. Yesterday's Bonobos sale put their Joe-approved Italian hopsack blazer at $234. I saw on Reddit that Rakuten had 15% cash back on Bonobos plus a $10 sign-up bonus, which brought it down to just under $190. So, I bit the bullet and both signed up for Rakuten and ordered the blazer. Couldn't pass it up at that price.

Now, I'll collect my cash back and opt out of Rakuten...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    there's ways around it.
    such as horse head masks?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    such as horse head masks?
    Kinda.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I do ebates/rakuten. Wife got me on it about 5 years ago. Lifetime cashback so far is over $900. Biggest I have ever gotten was $40 on tirerack for 4 tires.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    I recently picked up a few stuff from BR, with 8% cash back with Ebates. Pretty neat, right?
    But then, I noticed that Gap is running 10% cash back. So I exited BR, went into Gap with BR items in the cart, and checked out with 10% cash back.

The difference is just a couple dollars, but I felt like I wanted to maximize any cash back I am allowed to get if all I had to do was a couple extra taps on the phone.

It made me wonder though, how much of rewards/cash back maximizing do you guys do when you shop?
    I don't. I'm just not excited about having so many credit cards, memberships, etc. I don't even wait for sale in general.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    i just pick the cc that is best for me (which is currently the Amex Gold) and use that religiously. I will also look to see what Amex Offers are going on multiple times per month to see if a site / hotel / restaurant i would go to anyway is running a deal. Saved quite a bit of money this way.

With that said, i dont use Rakuten or any of the others. Just stick with the trusty Amex.