Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission Belt - Any Good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Mission Belt - Any Good?

Does anyone have any experience with a Mission Belt belt? I saw them on a recent Shark Tank episode, but they're an online only store so there's nowhere to check one out in person. I need a new brown belt, and I was thinking about getting this one. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    Ratchet belts work fine in a casual context. They're not really a new thing, but they're pretty convenient if your weight fluctuates. As a side note, you can also remove and re-attach the buckle of the belt from the tail rather easily, so you can buy a replacement tail or get a second colour of leather later on without changing buckles.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Mission belts are good, but the best ratcheting belt is Eazy Belt. The latch mechanism for releasing the belt makes a lot more sense, and the quality of the belt itself is a lot superior. Also, Eazy can send you a long length belt strap, with instructions for cutting it to size to perfectly fit you if you'd like. I use both my Mission and Eazy, but prefer the easy a lot more.

Also...don't wear with anything really nice. I use my eazy for everyday belt wearing - but not with a more dressy outfit - it just looks cheap and unstylish in that setting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Trakline belt are best

Our company makes the popular Trakline belt that's sold over $500,000 worth on Kickstarter alone this past year and a half. We started several years ago when we redesigned the ratchet buckle mechanism to make it sleeker and more reliable than the function Mission belt uses. Then we redid all the buckle faces to make them modern and stylish. Mission uses one buckle face - solid - in different colors and a very low-grade leather. Eazy buckles have a different look altogether and use inexpensive leather, that's why you suggested there not suited for dress situations. We decided to use only full-grain (best quality) leather, so you can wear your Trakline belt with jeans or a suit. See the entire collection at http://www.KoreEssentials.com

Quote Originally Posted by bviaallison View Post
    Mission belts are good, but the best ratcheting belt is Eazy Belt. The latch mechanism for releasing the belt makes a lot more sense, and the quality of the belt itself is a lot superior. Also, Eazy can send you a long length belt strap, with instructions for cutting it to size to perfectly fit you if you'd like. I use both my Mission and Eazy, but prefer the easy a lot more.

Also...don't wear with anything really nice. I use my eazy for everyday belt wearing - but not with a more dressy outfit - it just looks cheap and unstylish in that setting.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    @Karl Kozak Welcome to the Dapper Community, oh KoreEssentials ambassador. Always good to hear from brand representatives!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Kozak View Post
    Our company makes the popular Trakline belt that's sold over $500,000 worth on Kickstarter alone this past year and a half. We started several years ago when we redesigned the ratchet buckle mechanism to make it sleeker and more reliable than the function Mission belt uses. Then we redid all the buckle faces to make them modern and stylish. Mission uses one buckle face - solid - in different colors and a very low-grade leather. Eazy buckles have a different look altogether and use inexpensive leather, that's why you suggested there not suited for dress situations. We decided to use only full-grain (best quality) leather, so you can wear your Trakline belt with jeans or a suit. See the entire collection at http://www.KoreEssentials.com
    Having not seen Trakline before, or tested it, I can't speak to the quality of the leather in the belt. I may have misspoken in using the word "stylish" before. It would be more appropriate to say that, currently, ratcheting belts are not of proper form, in my opinion, to be worn in a more dressed up environment (full suit environment, wedding, etc.). They are fine for everyday business casual down to casual - but the buckle is just too bulky (again, in my opinion) for a more formal event. I'm wearing a ratcheting belt as I type this, so I'm by no means discounting the usefulness of the belt....there's just a time and a place for everything. And as with everything in the style world, universal will always be beaten by custom fit for look.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Seems a bit gimmicky to me. I don't see any functional difference between this and the Hickok, and Giant Grip buckles dating back to the 1920s. Far from being an improvement on holes, all that track does is make the belt buckle useless with anything but a specialized belt.

I got this Giant Grip buckle from the 1920s off ebay for $15, added a $10 1" belt blank and dyed it the color I wanted it.

I never noticed, or payed much attention to this style of belt until recently, but when I started looking I discovered these buckles are plentiful, having been made from the 1920s-1960s, and if you want a new one, J.crew has one, and J.crew factrory also has a less expensive version. I don't know about the new ones, but the old ones work fine with friction. No track needed.
    Last edited by mattface; February 17th, 2015 at 10:09 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Track styles buckles were first introduced about 2 decades ago in Asian and have become very popular there. Several small US companies like SlideBelt began importing them about 8 years ago. They merely shipped them to the US, imprinted their logo on the buckle face and then resold them. Mission belt (owner is a cousin to the SlideBelt founder, who claims he ripped him off of his idea) is the latest company to do just that, import, stamp, resell. Their popularity is only thanks to their Shark Tank appearance. I first saw these Asian buckles almost 4 years ago and decided that the track was great for providing a perfect, secure fit - BUT the Asian designed buckles were far too bulky and gimmicky for my tastes. They use a magnetic mechanism, that needs lots of metal on the backside to make it all work. So I set out to revamp the entire mechanism and create new faces for US consumption. I ended up replacing the magnet with a sleek and slim spring-caliper. It cut out most of the metal and gave Trakline Belts the ability to offer a myriad of unique buckle faces. So unlike the others, Trakline belt created custom product molds and one-of-a-kind designs. Mission belt offers only a solid face buckle. As a result, many of our customers purchase Trakline belts for dress as well as casual, although everyone has their own idea of what "dressed up" means. I find that the Mission belts look very casual and to a large extent juvenile, with all the red, blue and yellow belts to compensate. As far as quality is concerned Trakline Belts use only full-grain leather and our most popular buckles are solid stainless steel. But you can see for yourself at -- http://www.KoreEssentails.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattface View Post
    Seems a bit gimmicky to me. I don't see any functional difference between this and the Hickok, and Giant Grip buckles dating back to the 1920s. Far from being an improvement on holes, all that track does is make the belt buckle useless with anything but a specialized belt.

I got this Giant Grip buckle from the 1920s off ebay for $15, added a $10 1" belt blank and dyed it the color I wanted it.

I never noticed, or payed much attention to this style of belt until recently, but when I started looking I discovered these buckles are plentiful, having been made from the 1920s-1960s, and if you want a new one, J.crew has one, and J.crew factrory also has a less expensive version. I don't know about the new ones, but the old ones work fine with friction. No track needed.
    Yes, I have tried these belts before and although they look nice and I enjoy wearing them occasionally - they slip during the day and don't provide the secure fit a Trakline belt does. And yes, although a ratchet buckle is only good with a track style belt - so are the grip buckles. Actually you can swap out buckles and belts easily on a ratchet belt. But -- this thread is more on the topic of ratchet belts... I suggest you give one a try prior to commenting.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Kozak View Post
    Yes, I have tried these belts before and although they look nice and I enjoy wearing them occasionally - they slip during the day and don't provide the secure fit a Trakline belt does. And yes, although a ratchet buckle is only good with a track style belt - so are the grip buckles. Actually you can swap out buckles and belts easily on a ratchet belt. But -- this thread is more on the topic of ratchet belts... I suggest you give one a try prior to commenting.
    Mine doesn't slip at all, and the only thing specialized about the belt is that I didn't punch any holes in it, though it should work fine on any 1" leather belt holes or no. I don't think not having tried a track belt negates my experience that the Giant Grip is a reasonable alternative. I get that you've got a vested interest in demonstrating the superiority of your product, but I don't feel I need to try your product to support my opinion that it is a solution in need of a problem. I have no problem with conventional belts. Thus I see no need for a complicated solution to a simple problem. I also see no need to check with you before posting that opinion, but thanks for the "suggestion", I'll file it in the circular cabinet under "vested interest".