Thread: New boots - White's MP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New boots - White's MP?

Hello Dappered Threads. Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I'm slowly upgrading my shoe game, and am planning on buying a new pair of quality brown boots sometime soon. From the research I've done, I think I've narrowed it to the White's Boots MP boot in Cinnamon Waxed Flesh (pic below).

While I do own a couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes, this is a major purchase for me, as it's a lot of $$ to drop on one pair of shoes. Before I call up the shop and place an order, I thought I would check if I'm missing something that might suit me better at a lower price point, or if the White's are truly worth the cost of admission.

My criteria are: brown, cap toe, made from quality leather, capable of going from business casual to casual casual, fits well and is durable so it lasts.

I started by looking at the Thursday Boot Co. Vanguard, but the more I read, the more it seemed like Thursday Boots are perhaps not as durable and don't quite have the longevity that other quality boots have. The Red Wing Iron Ranger is an obvious choice, but the toe seemed very bulbous and it didn't seem like they would dress up very well. Viberg is out of my budget, and truth be told, White's is pushing it. Still, I'd rather not buy a lesser shoe that will wear and need replacing when by saving a little bit more I could have a lifetime boot...

Also - Dainite or Commando (lug) sole? Any advantages to the Dainite over the lug? Does the Dainite wear through more slowly?

Thanks for any thoughts, recommendations, or advice!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Have you considered the JCrew kenton captoe? When on sale they can be had for <$150

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Iíve never heard of Whites, so my opinion on that brand is moot.

I own the AE Normandy. I wouldnít recommend it.

Iíve attempted the J Crew Pacer and Kenton. They werenít right for my foot. Stiff everywhere.

Iíve never regretted my purchases of my Alden Indy 403 and 405. Obviously itís a high price point but for comfort, durability, and style, really are top notch.

Iíd suggest giving the BR Arley a check. Iím surprised Iím saying it myself. But, it comes with a very thin lug sole and the leather is decent. The comfort is actually excellent. I have no knowledge of the longevity of these boots, but at $89 when on sale... Iíd think 3 years would be a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Those look great!

Don't have any personal experience with White's, but I recently shelled out for a pair of Trumans and I'm quite pleased (~$450, so a little bit below your price point but still a lot to me). They were worth the splurge for me because brown boots fit with basically everything in my wardrobe. Plus, I know they'll last a good long time, and look even better with the age. They're quite practical, and I'm finding myself wearing them nearly every day now that it's "winter" in the southeast US. If you like the look and think you'll get lots of regular use out of them, I'd say a pair of solid brown boots is worth an investment.

As for dainite/commando, that's a tough call. I like commando on these boots because I think the added heft complements the weight of the leather. But the pics on their website look great with dainite too. I went with commando for my trumans, and when I compare to another pair of boots with dainite, there doesn't seem to be a big difference in durability. That may differ brand to brand though. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want these to work for business casual, but I do think the lugs would look a little odd with, say, a navy blazer. It really depends most on the environment you're in, and how much you care about what other people think of your soles.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all of the advice and recommendations so far! I'm looking a bit more into the Kenton captoe, but at first glance it doesn't quite seem on the same level as the White's w/r/t leather or construction (which the price would also indicate). I was looking at the Truman's too, but the Stridewise review stressed that they're very substantial, even chunky or tank-like, and I'm not sure that's the best fit for my intended use...

Quote Originally Posted by christophe View Post
    Those look great!

Don't have any personal experience with White's, but I recently shelled out for a pair of Trumans and I'm quite pleased (~$450, so a little bit below your price point but still a lot to me). They were worth the splurge for me because brown boots fit with basically everything in my wardrobe. Plus, I know they'll last a good long time, and look even better with the age. They're quite practical, and I'm finding myself wearing them nearly every day now that it's "winter" in the southeast US. If you like the look and think you'll get lots of regular use out of them, I'd say a pair of solid brown boots is worth an investment.

As for dainite/commando, that's a tough call. I like commando on these boots because I think the added heft complements the weight of the leather. But the pics on their website look great with dainite too. I went with commando for my trumans, and when I compare to another pair of boots with dainite, there doesn't seem to be a big difference in durability. That may differ brand to brand though. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want these to work for business casual, but I do think the lugs would look a little odd with, say, a navy blazer. It really depends most on the environment you're in, and how much you care about what other people think of your soles.

Hope that helps!
    Very helpful, thanks! Yeah, I see these as basically a staple in my wardrobe. By business casual, I mean that I usually wear a combination of shirt/tie/sweater/chinos/nice jeans. I don't wear suits, and I don't wear anything too flashy (I'm a college professor so this won't be used for actual outside work). I'd also like to be able to wear them on the weekends playing with my kids or out with my wife. While I would rotate them with other shoes, this would be the most money I have spent on an article of clothing that's not a suit, watch, or engagement ring, so I want to make sure I get it right.

I'm leaning Commando since I have Dainite on my AEs, but didn't know if those lugs would wear more quickly. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I don't have the MP, but I have the Semi Dress. Totally worth the money, in my opinion. White's is one of the best values for the quality in boots. I would suggest, however, to send in your foot measurements so you will be sized correctly right off the bat.

For ordering, I went through bakershoe.com. You can initiate the ordering process, sizing, and options with Kyle at orders@bakershoe.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all! Very helpful, and I appreciate the advice and suggestions. I posted a longer response but it told me it needs to be moderator approved, I'm guessing because I'm new?

Cheers!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    If you already like AE, have you looked at the Alpine Cap toe? https://bit.ly/36e9wXg

I have the Higgins Mill and they are fantastic, This seems to be a cap toe version?