Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoe recommendations for upcoming trip with lots of walking?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Shoe recommendations for upcoming trip with lots of walking?

Hi everyone, I could use some advice for an upcoming trip I am planning regarding what shoes to bring.

I will be traveling to Japan for almost 3 weeks at the beginning of April. I will be visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, and Takayama and plan do to a lot of walking obviously. Also while in Takayama I may head to the Shinhotaka Ropeway to view the Japanese Alps where there may still be light snow on the ground. I may also be doing some bike tours as well.

I'll probably be wearing jeans and may bring a pair of chinos as well. I don't plan on going to any fancy restaurants or high end clubs but I would like something that looks smart especially since I hear Tokyo is very fashionable. I typically wear Stan Smiths which work well with everything in my wardrobe but I am a little concerned as I took them on my Europe trip this summer and by the end of my trip my feet were indeed starting to hurt. And since I might be doing some more outdoorsy stuff I'm wondering if I should bring another pair of shoes? I've seen a lot of people recommend some type of trail runner. Maybe I should pack those for any hiking and bring the Stan Smiths for the city? Or should I look for a full on hiking shoe?

Thoughts? Thanks so much!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)
    If it was me I’d prob get some low top merrells or equivalent that fits you. I’d also bring Stan Smiths to have a rotation. To me this sort of trip is function over style.

I’d also look into some smart wool socks. Can make a little bit of difference.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Just about my favorite thing to do on vacation is long walks around cities--sometimes 7 to 10 miles in a day. And I don't like wearing athletic shoes with my otherwise on-point clothing, because I like to stop in to bars, shops, and so forth whilst I'm on walks.

My most comfortable shoes have been a pair of Clarks boots (not the kind with crepe soles, but rubber) that I picked up a few years back. They have a soft leather padded upper They look okay for going into even nice restaurants in the day time. But they don't make them anymore, so that's about zero help for you.

That said, what helps me with urban hiking are the following tips:

1. Boots work better than shoes when you can lace them up around your ankles. I think because they handle weather better and give me support around my weak ankles. I have screwed up ankles and flat feet. One exception has been a pair of AE Nomad chukka boots that don't lace very tightly around the ankles, but are still very comfortable with inserts. But see number 2 below.

2. Buy them a half size or a full size too large and use padded inserts and two pairs of socks to get a perfect fit and add cushioning comfort. You can buy these inserts in various thicknesses, so you can get exactly the fit you want.

3. Also, you might find that your feet get swollen after a day or two of long walks, so if you buy a pair of shoes or boots that are large enough to use with inserts AND an extra pair of socks, you might find that you want to start the day with two pairs of socks and take one pair off later.

4. A soft leather upper with or without padding seems to help as well, especially when you lace them tight around the ankles.

5. Finally, don't wear the same shoes every day. I've found that no matter how great the fit, each pair of shoes rubs up against your foot in different spots and can create blisters if you wear the same ones day after day. Switching them up puts the pressure on different areas and gives the tender areas time to recover.

As for specific shoes, my recent purchase of AE Stirling boots have proven exceptionally comfortable for dancing and walking, but I have not put them to the true test of a five mile or longer walk. They have some type of rubber/translucent sole over a leather sole--but the website doesn't say what it is, although I think that's one feature that makes them so comfortable. The leather upper is very soft and flexible, much like the Clarks boots I have.

I got my Stirlings as seconds for a super low price of about $150, which is about what I paid for the Clarks as well.

Unfortunately, AE only has them as firsts right now for $445. Ouch. https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...ot/SF7588.html

But because you have until April, you maybe have time to wait for a great sale.

Jfitzpatrick has a sale on his urban hiking boots right now. I don't know if they are comfortable or not, but somebody on the forum recently purchased some; maybe he will offer a review. My two pairs of JF shoes (button boots and loafers) are not the greatest as far as comfort, but I do love the styles.

https://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com...in-snuff-suede

I don't own any, but other people have told me that Wolverine 1000 mile boots offer great comfort after break in.

Nordstrom Rack has some great prices on 1000 mile boots (including a Chukka boot) as well as other Wolverine lines right now:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/M...t=most_popular
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unnamedplayer View Post
    Hi everyone, I could use some advice for an upcoming trip I am planning regarding what shoes to bring.

I will be traveling to Japan for almost 3 weeks at the beginning of April. I will be visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, and Takayama and plan do to a lot of walking obviously. Also while in Takayama I may head to the Shinhotaka Ropeway to view the Japanese Alps where there may still be light snow on the ground. I may also be doing some bike tours as well.

I'll probably be wearing jeans and may bring a pair of chinos as well. I don't plan on going to any fancy restaurants or high end clubs but I would like something that looks smart especially since I hear Tokyo is very fashionable. I typically wear Stan Smiths which work well with everything in my wardrobe but I am a little concerned as I took them on my Europe trip this summer and by the end of my trip my feet were indeed starting to hurt. And since I might be doing some more outdoorsy stuff I'm wondering if I should bring another pair of shoes? I've seen a lot of people recommend some type of trail runner. Maybe I should pack those for any hiking and bring the Stan Smiths for the city? Or should I look for a full on hiking shoe?

Thoughts? Thanks so much!
    this is a good thread to read:

https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...t=travel+shoes

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Looks like these are getting a good recommendation:

https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...l=1#post316253

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    A few months ago I bought my first pair of Adidas Ultraboosts and they are game changers. I liked them so much I now have three pairs. Most recently I was in Vegas and walked 20k steps a day in complete comfort. I would highly recommend if they are inline with your style.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    I went to Italy in the spring and walked a ton every day. I wore a pair of J.Crew McAllister desert boots with crepe soles for the whole trip. I was very happy with their performance on cobblestones, pavement, marble, linoleum, etc. They did fine on a bit of dirt here and there.

I would not recommend them for serious hiking on trails unless the trails are very smooth. Some kinds of crepe can get very slick when wet, too. I also wouldn’t recommend them for “real” bike touring. I wear my desert boots when I’m roaming around on my city bike. they’ll likely not be good for, say, riding >10 miles on a hybrid or touring bike - the soles aren’t stiff enough.

Really, one shoe that is stylish in the city, wearable on bicycle tours, and good for hiking in the snow is a tough ask. One pair of shoes that might actually work out would be a pair of Five Ten Sleuth shoes.

https://www.adidas.com/us/five-ten-s...es/BC0659.html

They are low key enough work in a lot of city applications; they will definitely work for cycling; and they are likely to be good for casual hiking, especially if you are on rocky trails.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    I took a class on Japanese culture, shoes are important. Always take them off in someone's house. They even have house shoes just for the bathroom.

I don't think it is a one pair of shoes country. I recommend at least one pair for hiking and another for the city.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I took a class on Japanese culture, shoes are important. Always take them off in someone's house. They even have house shoes just for the bathroom.

I don't think it is a one pair of shoes country. I recommend at least one pair for hiking and another for the city.
    My wife is Asian-American, but not Japanese--raised in the USA since she was 3. Also, the community I live in is about 40% Asian. My partner and his family are Chinese-American--all born in the USA.

Believe me, they all seem to have this custom. My wife is the most fanatical about it. She has about five different pairs of slippers. One for inside downstairs. Another for inside upstairs (I think). One is for taking the dog out for a walk. One is for walking to the garage. One is for her to leave in the middle of the bedroom floor for me to trip over.

My partner's family (him, wife, and two kids), normally have about 20 pairs of shoes piled up on the stoop outside their front door.

To get along with my wife, because I work at home but like to get dressed and wear shoes when I'm working in my home office, I have about five pairs of shoes that I only wear inside.

But I'm off on a tangent now.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post

My wife is Asian-American, but not Japanese--raised in the USA since she was 3. Also, the community I live in is about 40% Asian. My partner and his family are Chinese-American--all born in the USA.

Believe me, they all seem to have this custom. My wife is the most fanatical about it. She has about five different pairs of slippers. One for inside downstairs. Another for inside upstairs (I think). One is for taking the dog out for a walk. One is for walking to the garage. One is for her to leave in the middle of the bedroom floor for me to trip over.

My partner's family (him, wife, and two kids), normally have about 20 pairs of shoes piled up on the stoop outside their front door.

To get along with my wife, because I work at home but like to get dressed and wear shoes when I'm working in my home office, I have about five pairs of shoes that I only wear inside.

But I'm off on a tangent now.