Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite slim fit or MTM shirts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Second these, with the qualifier that the collars are very narrow, so if you want a collar roll it may not be the best choice.

But for a simple dress shirt in all the staple colors (and a lot of non-staple options as well) along with the benefits of Nordy shipping hither and yon, it's a very solid choice.
    You find the Nordy collars narrow? I find them a bit too tall. I wish they were like the JCrew or BR collars.

But I kind of have a short neck.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    You find the Nordy collars narrow? I find them a bit too tall. I wish they were like the JCrew or BR collars.

But I kind of have a short neck.
    Narrower than I typically prefer.

I'm a sucker for a collar roll though.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quick update:

I ended up buying a few shirts from Ledbury during their Cyber Monday sale in their tailored fit. The shirts just showed up and I'm just swimming in extra fabric. Super disappointing, since the fabric on the two I've tried on was wonderful. At this point, though, I'd definitely need a tailor to take the shirt in and slim down the sleeves before I'd be willing to be seen in public with any of these shirts.

I keep hearing about how wonderful Ledbury shirts are and how well they hold up over time. For those of you who have had Ledbury shirts, do you think it's worth trying to tailor them or would you just return them and go MTM (the price would end up roughly equal) ???

Edit: On a related note, does anyone know if these shrink at all when you first wash them?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    601 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jikaasik View Post
    Quick update:

I ended up buying a few shirts from Ledbury during their Cyber Monday sale in their tailored fit. The shirts just showed up and I'm just swimming in extra fabric. Super disappointing, since the fabric on the two I've tried on was wonderful. At this point, though, I'd definitely need a tailor to take the shirt in and slim down the sleeves before I'd be willing to be seen in public with any of these shirts.

I keep hearing about how wonderful Ledbury shirts are and how well they hold up over time. For those of you who have had Ledbury shirts, do you think it's worth trying to tailor them or would you just return them and go MTM (the price would end up roughly equal) ???

Edit: On a related note, does anyone know if these shrink at all when you first wash them?
    Wow, even the tailored fit is too large? Are you sure you're sizing the neck properly? My waist is only a few inches more around than yours, and I'm about the same height. And I wear the classic fit, even though with most other brands, I'm wearing the tailored fit.

I love my Lebury shirts. I have not found shrinkage a problem. Since I started working at home I don't wear them often enough to comment on how long they wear.

Before you take them to a tailor, I suggest you considering trying to exchanging them for a smaller neck size. With one of the shirts that I really like, but wasn't available in classic fit, because I was not planning on wearing it with a tie, I sized up on the collar and the shirt fit properly.

Ultimately, I had to order each shirt in three different sizes. They returns were easy and refunds were prompt.

Also, I found the fit guide inaccurate; I would not use it.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Wow, even the tailored fit is too large? Are you sure you're sizing the neck properly? My waist is only a few inches more around than yours, and I'm about the same height. And I wear the classic fit, even though with most other brands, I'm wearing the tailored fit.

I love my Lebury shirts. I have not found shrinkage a problem. Since I started working at home I don't wear them often enough to comment on how long they wear.

Before you take them to a tailor, I suggest you considering trying to exchanging them for a smaller neck size. With one of the shirts that I really like, but wasn't available in classic fit, because I was not planning on wearing it with a tie, I sized up on the collar and the shirt fit properly.

Ultimately, I had to order each shirt in three different sizes. They returns were easy and refunds were prompt.

Also, I found the fit guide inaccurate; I would not use it.
    Thanks for the response! Yeah, the neck, shoulders, and sleeve length are actually the only three things that are perfect. The collar, when buttoned, fits just like all my best-fitting shirts. Sizing down would definitely be pushing too tight around the throat. I don't know why, but the body of the shirt also just doesn't fit well at all. Not to mention, I could just about fit a second arm in each sleeve. :/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    6'3" @ 185 is pretty slim. I'm not surprised you're having issues.

That said, very disappointing to hear about ledbury. I hate the way so many dress shirts are apparently built for pencil necks with beer guts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    6'3" @ 185 is pretty slim. I'm not surprised you're having issues.

That said, very disappointing to hear about ledbury. I hate the way so many dress shirts are apparently built for pencil necks with beer guts.
    Yeah, it was a bit disappointing, cause I've heard so many good things about Ledbury. I really did love everything else about the shirts. If I could get anything approaching that quality, but MTM, at ~$150 per shirt, I'd be all over it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    I'm 6'2" 180 and my best fitting shirt is a Ledbury in their slim fit. According to Ledbury the tailored fit is the same fit, just a new name. This shirt is marked 16/M "slim fit" in the collar (apparently they used SML sizing when selling through retailers like Nordstrom). I bought it on a whim on eBay and it was spot on.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    I'm 6'0, 185ish and like my shirts trim. I've been through a ton of brands, but I'm really liking the Ratio shirts I'm reviewing for the main page. Just got my second one in, the fit is pretty dialed in.

I will say that the two I've tried are both traditional dress shirts, not a sport shirt or anything stretchy. For that, I've been happy with Banana Republic's tech smart shirts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    I'm 6'0, 185ish and like my shirts trim. I've been through a ton of brands, but I'm really liking the Ratio shirts I'm reviewing for the main page. Just got my second one in, the fit is pretty dialed in.

I will say that the two I've tried are both traditional dress shirts, not a sport shirt or anything stretchy. For that, I've been happy with Banana Republic's tech smart shirts.
    That's good to hear, since Ratio is what I had just settled on for my first MTM/MTO dress shirt attempt! Any tips on how to get the fit dialed in with them? This will be my first MTM and definitely first anything with Ratio.

I'm also considering trying out a couple others for more casual shirts (basically just flannel or linen) and was thinking about giving Deo Veritas and/or Woodies a shot there (I prefer what I've seen from Woodies, minus the obnoxious "Woodies" tag under the bottom button. Why do companies think we want that...!?).