Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite slim fit or MTM shirts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    I would check out Hugh and Crye. They're in your price range (their shirts go as low as $65 - $85 when not on sale, cheaper if you find a sale). They are not true made to measure but they have a wider variety of fits from skinny to broad, and short to tall, (basically skinny, slim, athletic, broad are their torso cuts and they go short, average, tall for the length and hence you get 12 sizes and a closer to MTM fit than most mainstream retailers.

Another option would be one of the MTM online outfits - Ratio or Proper Cloth. I have one Ratio shirt (classic white broadcloth dress shirt) that fits really well - I save it for when I have to look really sharp. It took one back and forth to get the fit dialed in properly but once that happens you can get multiple shirts made that will fit really well. My recollection is that their shirts start right around $100 so they're in your price range but a little more than Hugh & Crye. I chose Ratio over Proper Cloth first because they are, or used to be, a sponsor of Dappered, and also because (if memory serves and they haven't changed things) their shirts are sewn in the USA.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jikaasik View Post
    How are Bonobos shirts' in terms of fabric quality?
    The fabric quality is decent. Similar to other similarly priced brands. The type of fabric will depend on the type of shirt though. I do have to add that I am not very familiar with their dress shirts as I rarely wear suits (once or twice a year tops).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    The Bonobos tailored fit dress shirts make up most of my rotation but they're definitely not worth full price. The fabric is nice enough but the the sleeves are cut pretty slim and are more prone to elbow blowouts than most shirts. I typically get them from the sale section when they have a percent off promo going on. I usually get them for $35-$55. I wouldn't pay much more than that though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I remember when Joe on the mainsite recommended tailoring all shirts, but he hasn't recommended it in a while, and it is rarely recommended on the forum. I wonder why.
    I think it's because we all got old and fat...wait that's just me?

I think it's a few reasons, but I could be wrong:

A) With the trend toward tailored clothing in the last few years, retailers finally clued in and started offering slimmer and slimmer shirting options. It used to be the slimmest of slim would still be loose on me (5'10", 185ish), but now a Brooks Brothers Soho (extra slim) is too tight for me.

B) Made to measure has gone mainstream. Even if you buy a $100 MTM shirt, it's still close in price to a full priced off the rack shirt (of similar quality) followed by tailoring.

and

C) I think there's a slow, but certainly shifting trend away from super tight fitted everything. The pendulum is starting to swing back the other way....not all the way to 90's loose fit, but certainly with a bit more emphasis on comfort or "proper" fit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CK83 View Post
    C) I think there's a slow, but certainly shifting trend away from super tight fitted everything. The pendulum is starting to swing back the other way....not all the way to 90's loose fit, but certainly with a bit more emphasis on comfort or "proper" fit.
    This is definitely happening. I'm guessing the pendulum will swing back all the way to loose/baggy fits eventually. I've come to dislike that look pretty intensely. I don't need or want things quite as ultra tailored as during the peak fitted era but too baggy just looks sloppy, and once things get beyond a certain point too loose poses comfort problems that are every bit as annoying as too tailored.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    *IF* you're buying several, the 4-for-200 deal at brooks brothers (pretty much a constant, but it does shut off once in a while) is fantastic provided their milano or regent works well for you. I have a handful from them (white oxford, pink check linen, blue gingham linen, and a bib-front tux shirt) and they're spectacular.

Buying onesie-twosie I would say your money would go further elsewhere.

Of course if you want to spend a boatload, you could always just bite the bullet and go Turnbull & Asser. Let's just say you could get 8 brooks brothers shirts at the 4/200 deal for what one Turnbull costs, so avoid that site if you aren't into seeing crazy aspensive stuff. Honestly there's a lot of bespoke tailors out there that'll do *REALLY* nice stuff from Thomas Mason for less than half Turnbull. And they're just neck/sleeve.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Nordstrom 1901 extra trim fit

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Nordstrom 1901 extra trim fit
    Second these, with the qualifier that the collars are very narrow, so if you want a collar roll it may not be the best choice.

But for a simple dress shirt in all the staple colors (and a lot of non-staple options as well) along with the benefits of Nordy shipping hither and yon, it's a very solid choice.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I'm surprised TM Lewin's superfitted shirts aren't listed yet. I'm a fan.

Also, I have a few shirts from Blank Label (www.blanklabel.com), but they only operate in a handful of cities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    The Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit shirts fit me great.