Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cord Recommendations

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Good timing on this thread. I too after not wearing cords for YEARS am thinking about giving them a go. I'll likely wait for the Gap to have a sale and then pick up a set. I may see what Uniqlo has in terms of cords too.

I'd like to give the JC a go, but their brick and mortar shops have been closed in my part of the world, and the US/CDN exchange rate is brutal these days re: online purchasing.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

On sale for $42 USD/pair.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    I have a few pair of the Bonobos French Corders. They are fantastic! They can still be found on EBay, new, for $40-$50.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    I have been happy with my LE cords.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    I've bought cords from both J.Crew and Lucky Brand that I've been happy with. By far my favorites are the bedford cords I bought from Bonobos a couple of years ago.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    If'n you don't want to spend too much I got a couple pair from Amazon Goothreads (reviewed on the main site earlier this fall) and they're pretty nice for the price. I can see advantages to starting cheaper to make sure cords are your thing, given that you haven't worn them in forever. I'm guessing the Flint and Tinder cords are really nice because the 365 pants they're based on are fantastic, but they are not cheap.
    I was looking at these recently (I also am considering picking up some cords after a long break haha), and the price is good but just wondering how long you've had them and how they've held up to washing, etc.

I ask because I've been burned by Goodthreads before--even considering the low price. I had a pair of their dark gray stretch twill 5-pockets fade very badly after just a few washes, making them look cheap and worn out. I then gave the straight fit washed chinos a try (the ones that were highly praised on the main site last year) and my navy pair also became very faded/worn/cheap looking in a short amount of time. By then I had already purchased another pair in medium gray (less prone to fading than navy, hopefully) and am treating them ultra cautiously so they don't become a waste of money. I am generally pretty gentle on clothes, but semi-casual chinos are really not an item you should have to baby. I've also ended up not keeping the Goodthreads jackets and shorts I ordered through Prime wardrobe because they just felt cheap even for the price range. If you have a decent TJMaxx, Marshalls, or Nordstrom Rack in your area you can often get much better stuff for not much more cash, if any. I guess I'm just holding out irrational hope that the cords will be different lol.

Also, semi-related: I have found Dappered to be a great resource over the years, and I don't begrudge Joe the ability to earn money from his work. I get that affiliate links are the main way this site is monetized (which is at least more transparent than the bulk of fashion "influencers"). But I've begun lately to take certain reviews with a grain of salt--particularly anything from Amazon or Gap Inc. as these seem to be pretty major sponsors/partners. Just my two cents.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I went on a cord pants binge last year -- bought some from Tyrwhitt, Lands End, and Target. I like them all but I usually wear the cheapo $29 Target pair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

The Gap

Before this year, the last cords I had were a plush mid-wale with front pleats, so that tells you how long it's been for me.

I just bought a couple of pairs from The Gap. They're five-pocket jean-style slim-fit, narrow-wale, 98% cotton 2% Spandex. I love wearing them. They feel great on. They make a little bit of noise when I walk, but the fabric may soften after a few washings.

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1453 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive.

On sale for $42 USD/pair.
    If only I could buy! I'm on a spending moratorium for the next couple of months. The good thing about the Gap though. There will always be another sale.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Picked up a pair of cords from Jomers with 3% stretch recently and have worn them a few times. Really comfy.
    Albeit, I have like 6 pairs of pants from them already and have 0 complaints so far.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    wish banana would bring back their traveler cords.