Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knives Out tweed!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Knives Out tweed!

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion of Daniel Craig's non-007 turn as Benoit Blanc in Knives Out.

That. Tweed. Suit. I want it. Any ideas?

Chris Evans's sweater has gotten a lot of play, rightfully so, but Craig's suit should have gotten some too.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1151 Post(s)
    I need to see that

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Damn, I do need an Aran sweater.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    543 Post(s)
    By order of the Peaky Blinders?

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    658 Post(s)
    so you mean this ??

or do you mean this overcoat

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    543 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by napaxton View Post
    I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion of Daniel Craig's non-007 turn as Benoit Blanc in Knives Out.

Chris Evans's sweater has gotten a lot of play, rightfully so, but Craig's suit should have gotten some too.
    Likely made by Huntsman. They have a bespoke tweed service where you can create your own tweed, and then they have it woven and turn it into clothing. They've also become a standard-bearer for suiting for hollywood now that they have a NYC atelier.

It's....proooooobably a tiny bit outside the Dappered wheelhouse of "affordable style".
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Likely made by Huntsman. They have a bespoke tweed service where you can create your own tweed, and then they have it woven and turn it into clothing. They've also become a standard-bearer for suiting for hollywood now that they have a NYC atelier.

It's....proooooobably a tiny bit outside the Dappered wheelhouse of "affordable style".
    Oh, I'm sure that the version in the film is unaffordable! I assumed that as soon as I saw it.

But what about some sort of affordable version…? ;-)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    so you mean this ??

Oh, that overcoat was lovely as well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    so you mean this ??

It's funny. Under the lighting and palette of the film, the suit seemed more blue-gray than the green seen in that still. Either way…

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by napaxton View Post

I watched the trailer on the Weekend Dossier. It doesn't show him in a tweed suit - looks more like a traditional flannel, though I guess it could be a muted less tweedy tweed - i.e. a tweed that isn't patterned. His overcoat is a herringbone tweed. In the movie poster he's wearing a tweed jacket (posted above by Evanparker) but there is a full length view available and it is not a suit - it's a sportcoat with tweed trousers of a different color. The sport coat is a green but the trousers are a brown so it's not a suit.

The only tweed (or tweed like - they have some cotton in the fabric mix whereas tweed is generally 100% wool - but they look like tweed) suits I know of from a wheelhouse Dappered source are J Crew's Moon Mills herringbone tweed. They used to make just the sport coat but this year (or maybe last) added matching trousers so you can make them into a suit. They're available in a mid-grey herringbone and a navy herringbone but sizes are very scattered. Must have been popular this year. S&M may have something similar - I have not explored their line of suits as I am pretty well set up at present.

If you want to go the sport coat trouser route, Brooks Brothers usually has a Harris Tweed jacket in their lineup every fall/winter. Or there's always Ebay and other vintage clothing purveyors...Harris Tweed wears like iron so there are a lot of vintage jackets at very reasonable prices, though it's tough to be sure you're getting the tailoring right (e.g. you may want something more fitted but wind up with something full cut) since you can't try it before you buy.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain