Thread: Wierd Pain from Boots

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Wierd Pain from Boots

Last winter I picked up a pair of Frye trench boots for a song at Nordstrom Rack. When I tried them on they were fine, but after wearing them a few times the crease at the toes where the boot bends as you walk started digging into my toes and foot. I have never experienced anything like this, and it made wearing them extremely uncomfortable. Anyway, winter ended and I didn't think about it until I took the boots out today. I took just a few steps and it was back. They're basically unwearable.

Has anyone else experience this? Is there anything I can do to salvage these boots? I have a decent cobbler, can he do anything?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    I believe I have experienced this, and I believe they've soften up so it's not a problem anymore. So perhaps, wear 'em more?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    Sounds like the toe box is too small for your toes. Is it a rather sleek / pointy toed boot?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1458 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klindsey View Post
    Last winter I picked up a pair of Frye trench boots for a song at Nordstrom Rack. When I tried them on they were fine, but after wearing them a few times the crease at the toes where the boot bends as you walk started digging into my toes and foot. I have never experienced anything like this, and it made wearing them extremely uncomfortable. Anyway, winter ended and I didn't think about it until I took the boots out today. I took just a few steps and it was back. They're basically unwearable.

Has anyone else experience this? Is there anything I can do to salvage these boots? I have a decent cobbler, can he do anything?
    Had the EXACT same issue with a pair of Frye boots (I forget the model). I gave up wearing them and ended up giving them away. I tired to break the boots in, but eventually the boots broke me. I hope you're able to resolve your issue as I thought my boots really looked nice. Too bad I could never wear them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by believe0101 View Post
    Sounds like the toe box is too small for your toes. Is it a rather sleek / pointy toed boot?
    I haven't actually had this problem, but to me it sounds like the toe box is actually too large, and that when it bends, it's not bending with the foot but rather creating a large fold to dig into the toes.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by believe0101 View Post
    No, if that was the case his toes would feel cramped in general, not with pain on the top of the toe and foot as he described. The problem with with the shoe either bending in the wrong place or bending all at one place rather than over a larger area.

Not sure what the solution is other than to hope the uppers soften. Maybe really working the upper with saddle soap or oil and trying to get it bend elsewhere?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks all. I don't think the toe box is too small. I've experience that in other shoes and boots and it feels different, plus the toe box is well rounded. Sounds like it may be a Frye issue. I'll try breaking them in more, but I don't know how much of this I can take. May have to chalk it up as a loss.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I believe @Domino has got it right. Most likely the shoes are a little too big in the toe box. I have this issue all the time as my true size is a 12 1/2 but almost no one makes half sizes above a 12 so I wear a 13. I have this problem more with boots than I do shoes. Most of the time it will disappear after a month or so of wear. usually i will break mine in by wearing them in small doses, no more than 2 -3 hours at a time until they are comfortable.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1458 Post(s)
    @klindsey good luck with breaking in your boots. For me, I had to take the loss. Unfortunately for Fry, the experience turned me off their boots too. Which is a shame because I think Fry makes some nice looking boots. I'm just not ready to take the leap again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Try thicker socks while you go through the break in period?