Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The death of the SKX lineup

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1453 Post(s)

The death of the SKX lineup

I guess the saying "all good things must come to an end" is true. This morning I read a post on the main site about the death of the vaunted Seiko SKX lineup. See the post here if you missed it.

Gotta say, I was disappointed to read this. I own the SKX009 and love the watch. In fact on several occasions I have had complete strangers compliment me on the watch, right out of the blue. Whenever I need a tried and true watch for travel or weekends or whatever, the SKX009 came to the fore.

I suppose new 5KX will in time fill the void left of the SKX lineup. However in the interim I may try to hunt down an Orange SKX while the hunting is good.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    I often go out of my way to compliment guys when I see them wearing the SKX or one of the original Monsters. To this day, I regret not buying an SKX009 when a local jeweler was going out of business, had it listed for $150 but said, "Make me an offer." I suspect I could have had it for $100.

The new 5K lineup is fine, though it seems like it's the same watch over and over again. I think my problem is that I have Good Ol' Days Syndrome and I'm comparing it to the SKX.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    I am going to get a black one. I have had them in the past and always liked it. Seiko likes to discountinue fan favorites while they are still popular. then the second hand market goes nuts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    249 Post(s)
    Meh. Ok, it was a legend. However, the orient divers in the same price category as the SKX was are better watches in every way. Moreover, if you wait for the right sale (often at Macys), you can get an actual seiko prospex diver (sumo, turtle, mini-turtle) for $300 or so. Still further, there are a ton of great microbrand divers.

The SKX used to be a one of a kind value. Now there are a ton of watches out there offering the same or more. Hell, coming back to Orient, Long Island Watch is currently selling the Orient Mako II Usa for $199, and that's a better watch in every way than the SKX, and even has sapphire. https://www.longislandwatch.com/Orie...p/aa0200ab.htm

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Meh. Ok, it was a legend. However, the orient divers in the same price category as the SKX was are better watches in every way. Moreover, if you wait for the right sale (often at Macys), you can get an actual seiko prospex diver (sumo, turtle, mini-turtle) for $300 or so. Still further, there are a ton of great microbrand divers.

The SKX used to be a one of a kind value. Now there are a ton of watches out there offering the same or more. Hell, coming back to Orient, Long Island Watch is currently selling the Orient Mako II Usa for $199, and that's a better watch in every way than the SKX, and even has sapphire. https://www.longislandwatch.com/Orie...p/aa0200ab.htm
    In every way? Subjective. I like the style of the six better and the available fitted straps like crafter blue and strapcode. I do agree that the skx has kind of outpriced itself. It used to be readily available for $200 on sales. Now it's pushing $300 and hardly ever on sale. I blame the strong modding market..that I was a part of lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    In every way? Subjective. I like the style of the six better and the available fitted straps like crafter blue and strapcode. I do agree that the skx has kind of outpriced itself. It used to be readily available for $200 on sales. Now it's pushing $300 and hardly ever on sale. I blame the strong modding market..that I was a part of lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The one thing that a Seiko SKX line offers and Orient does not, is a dive watch for smaller wrists. The SKX013 at 38mm sits better on my 6.5 inch wrist compared to the Orient Mako's and Ray's that are around 42mm. Now I do own the Orient Mako and love that watch, but the size of the SKX013 appeals to me more.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManJournals View Post
    The one thing that a Seiko SKX line offers and Orient does not, is a dive watch for smaller wrists. The SKX013 at 38mm sits better on my 6.5 inch wrist compared to the Orient Mako's and Ray's that are around 42mm. Now I do own the Orient Mako and love that watch, but the size of the SKX013 appeals to me more.
    true. I have debated that one for a while too. Ultimately, I wont pay $300 for an skx but I will kick myself for not keeping one of the many I have had over the years. At $200ish, it was a great watch. at $300 you are opening up to a lot more competition, especially if you like micros...and I do. I will be trolling the used market though. But if the SARG, Spork, or monster lines are any indicator, the second hand market will start climbing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManJournals View Post
    Even the SKX007/009 works remarkably well for smaller wrists. The lug to lug is only 45 mm where most larger divers are +47 mm. My wrists are also 6.5 inches and I exchanged a 013 for a 007. Beside being too big, the Orient divers just don't do it for me. Neither does the Seiko mini turtle which I guess is supposed to be the real replacement for the SKX line. I'd love a Seiko Prospex but they're huge. So the SKX is still appealing to me even with the antiquated movement. Now that the line is officially dead I've been thinking about picking up a 009 because I love the looks of the SKX and the Pepsi dial works so well on it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Even the SKX007/009 works remarkably well for smaller wrists. The lug to lug is only 45 mm where most larger divers are +47 mm. My wrists are also 6.5 inches and I exchanged a 013 for a 007. Beside being too big, the Orient divers just don't do it for me. Neither does the Seiko mini turtle which I guess is supposed to be the real replacement for the SKX line. I'd love a Seiko Prospex but they're huge. So the SKX is still appealing to me even with the antiquated movement. Now that the line is officially dead I've been thinking about picking up a 009 because I love the looks of the SKX and the Pepsi dial works so well on it.
    Thanks to this thread, I ordered an 009 on rubber yesterday and got the OEM bracelet as well since I tend to switch straps around fairly regularly. While it's no "make me an offer" from that old jeweler several years ago, at $220 with a coupon, I'm happy with my purchase. Plus, now I have a Pepsi diver for my twiggy wrists. Can't wait for Fed Ex to show up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    true. I have debated that one for a while too. Ultimately, I wont pay $300 for an skx but I will kick myself for not keeping one of the many I have had over the years. At $200ish, it was a great watch. at $300 you are opening up to a lot more competition, especially if you like micros...and I do. I will be trolling the used market though. But if the SARG, Spork, or monster lines are any indicator, the second hand market will start climbing.
    Agree about the price of SKX. I am seeing prices of around 400 CAD at places and that's outside my desired range.