Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: The death of the SKX lineup

  1. #11
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,843
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1466 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MediumTex View Post
    Thanks to this thread, I ordered an 009 on rubber yesterday and got the OEM bracelet as well since I tend to switch straps around fairly regularly. While it's no "make me an offer" from that old jeweler several years ago, at $220 with a coupon, I'm happy with my purchase. Plus, now I have a Pepsi diver for my twiggy wrists. Can't wait for Fed Ex to show up!
    That's the SKX that I have. The Pepsi. Awesome watch. I have sold two of my friends on the watch too after they saw me wearing mine. Each of them went out and sourced and SKX for themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheManJournals View Post
    Agree about the price of SKX. I am seeing prices of around 400 CAD at places and that's outside my desired range.
    Yup. That's what I am seeing too. I want to pick up another SKX but with prices hovering around $400 CAD that's not what I am willing to spend. I certainly did not spend that on my original SKX back in the day. There is always the used market I suppose. Still. Would be nice to have an orange monster in my collection. Why, I am not really sure to be honest.

  2. #12
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    272 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    That's the SKX that I have. The Pepsi. Awesome watch. I have sold two of my friends on the watch too after they saw me wearing mine. Each of them went out and sourced and SKX for themselves.



    Yup. That's what I am seeing too. I want to pick up another SKX but with prices hovering around $400 CAD that's not what I am willing to spend. I certainly did not spend that on my original SKX back in the day. There is always the used market I suppose. Still. Would be nice to have an orange monster in my collection. Why, I am not really sure to be honest.
    I am seeing the 009 on amazon for $220. Not sure if this will apply to the Canadian market:

    https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Divers-...3827183&sr=8-6

    I owned the Orange Monster and ended up selling it. The aesthetics were a little to “in your face” with the pointed hour markers in my opinion. It’s a fine watch, just didn’t gel with me.

  3. #13
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,690
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I am seeing the 009 on amazon for $220. Not sure if this will apply to the Canadian market:

    https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Divers-...3827183&sr=8-6

    I owned the Orange Monster and ended up selling it. The aesthetics were a little to “in your face” with the pointed hour markers in my opinion. It’s a fine watch, just didn’t gel with me.
    and the black is $265. super annoying. I think I actually have a spare black bezel and dial to convert it but I kind of wanted an unmolested one.

  4. #14
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    I got mine at Long Island Watch with a discount code, which brought it down to $220. Also at Jomashop for about $239. All USD.

    The J version is something like $279 at the same places.

  5. #15
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,130
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    402 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I am going to get a black one. I have had them in the past and always liked it. Seiko likes to discountinue fan favorites while they are still popular. then the second hand market goes nuts.
    I think this is good and maybe necessary business for a watch company. They don't want to reinforce the idea that the watches are always going to be available. They don't directly benefit from the 2nd hand market, but if there is a belief the watches will appreciate, then that increases sales of newer watches, especially if they are cult. Plus they can always bring them back.

  6. #16
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,690
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I think this is good and maybe necessary business for a watch company. They don't want to reinforce the idea that the watches are always going to be available. They don't directly benefit from the 2nd hand market, but if there is a belief the watches will appreciate, then that increases sales of newer watches, especially if they are cult. Plus they can always bring them back.
    Yeah, its an interesting game to play at this price point though. Supply control is a game that Rolex and others play all the time. Seiko wouldn't do it if it didn't help them out though. Odds are SKX sales were falling off even with its reputation so instead of waiting for it to completely lose relevance, they retired it and replaced with options they could market to the same audience, price lower and still keep the same profit margin on.

  7. #17
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    I'm not sure it matters much what they do with the SKX line. Apple made $5 billion in one quarter on watches, home and accessories. Even if half of that is watches, Seiko made $1.6 billion...from 2010-2016. I'm not sure what their numbers are today... that's the figure I saw in two articles from about five minutes of Google searching.

    Considering that people will pay $500 for a "watch" that they will most likely replace every few years vs. people that pay $220 US/$270 US/$400 CAD (based on this thread) for an actual watch that they might not replace ever, Seiko needs to do whatever they can to keep the money coming in. I wonder if the new 5s will be ever so slightly less reliable such that you will have to replace them more often.

  8. #18
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,690
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MediumTex View Post
    I'm not sure it matters much what they do with the SKX line. Apple made $5 billion in one quarter on watches, home and accessories. Even if half of that is watches, Seiko made $1.6 billion...from 2010-2016. I'm not sure what their numbers are today... that's the figure I saw in two articles from about five minutes of Google searching.

    Considering that people will pay $500 for a "watch" that they will most likely replace every few years vs. people that pay $220 US/$270 US/$400 CAD (based on this thread) for an actual watch that they might not replace ever, Seiko needs to do whatever they can to keep the money coming in. I wonder if the new 5s will be ever so slightly less reliable such that you will have to replace them more often.
    smart watch and regular watch people dont actually crossover a ton. And the people that do crossover still buy regular watches even if they arent wearing them anymore lol.
    Its a sickness. I dont think I know any people that just own a watch and arent "watch guys". Most of those smartwatch people are the youngsters that didnt wear anything after they turned 10 and lost their iron man in the couch cushions. And most of the people that are buying a seiko 5 have it in a rotation of watches and were it infrequently enough that it wont break in 50 years...but they will sell it or bench it in favor of a new model that stirs their loins. We have 3 apple watches in my household. One belongs to my wife who wore it for a week and went back to her seiko every day...and she bought a swatch on vacation. The other two belong to my teenage sons who never wore a regular watch a day in their life unless it matched their underroos and sheets. So apple sold 3 to us and didnt impact the traditional watch market at all. I wear a smart watch during the day (not apple) and swap over to my regular watch if I go out and about. I have purchased a bulova, citizen, and seiko after I bought my Garmin.

    All that is to say that apple watches arent going to put seiko out of business. they might steal a few bucks out of their pockets here and there but thats all.

    I saw that article too...Half of the income might not be from the watches but who knows. Its a super broad category.

    It's important to keep in mind that this category doesn't just include wearables like the Apple Watch and AirPods, but also other devices like the HomePod and iPhone accessories

  9. #19
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,550
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    The SKX is an ooooooold model (circa 1996) with what is now considered outdated tech from Seiko (7s26 movement). It was only a matter of time before the line was discontinued. A lot of people assumed it would just be updated with a modern movement and re-released in otherwise identical form, but there's not actually a lot of precedent for Seiko doing something like that. Seiko isn't a Rolex with consistent model lines that exist in almost unchanged form for decades at a time. Seiko's model lineup is pretty fluid and constantly evolving - to the extent that many of the Seikos that were common and popular less than a decade ago when I first started getting into watches are now discontinued and difficult to find. Maybe the only thing distinct about the SKX007/009 watches is how long they lasted before getting the ax.
    Ben

  10. #20
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    130
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Here's my brand new, old, outdated tech. Couldn't be happier to own such a dinosaur.

    Took me about an hour to swap out the rubber it came on for the jubilee.

    My thumbs hurt.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •