Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OK, I need an intro pair of selvedge jeans...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfrasier View Post
    I would not recommend BR's Selvedge Rapid Movement if you have big boi legs. I have sticks for legs and man, I thought they'd be a little longer (definitely doesn't feel like 32 length) and wider but eh, they are super comfy. Not really heavy weight so i wouldn't really suggest them. My pair of naked and famous weird guy selvedge was pretty good but the waist was too small after a while (I ordered 29 but should have gone 30). After having stretch jeans though, I can't really say I want to go back to heavy denim pants that feel like towels around my legs.
    I appreciate my thick selvedge jeans in the winter. But when I'm feeling like a total bum and want jeans that feel like pajamas (happens more often than I want to admit), or it's hot out? When that happens, my BR rapid movement can't be beat. They pretty much feel like wearing pajamas pants or athleisure.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I appreciate my thick selvedge jeans in the winter. But when I'm feeling like a total bum and want jeans that feel like pajamas (happens more often than I want to admit), or it's hot out? When that happens, my BR rapid movement can't be beat. They pretty much feel like wearing pajamas pants or athleisure.
    I only wear jeans when its cold out. I actually had mine packed away for the summer. All 2 pair that i own. But since I have so few and only wear them occasionally, I want them to be right when I do.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I only wear jeans when its cold out. I actually had mine packed away for the summer. All 2 pair that i own. But since I have so few and only wear them occasionally, I want them to be right when I do.
    Don't try BR rapid movement (or any good stretch jean), or you'll quickly find yourself with another 3-4 pairs.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Don't try BR rapid movement (or any good stretch jean), or you'll quickly find yourself with another 3-4 pairs.
    To add to BR traveler, Bonobos travel, and BR rapid movement, the Amazon Goodthreads are decent stretch jeans as well.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    if i ever find a good pair of stretch that I ant visibly tell are stretch then I might try. But its mostly about the color too. I wear a LOT of blue and especially navy (including my coats) so jeans can make it tough to not look like a big walking crayon. I do have a black pair though. I dont really like grey jeans (so far) or other colors either. I guess the way I see it, if I am going colors, why not just wear chinos or cords? My chinos and cords are very comfortable. So really, denim is just a way to bring blue and black pants into the mix for me because I dont like chinos in those colors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Try Bonobos performance stretch jeans in resin rinse and athletic.

Not cheap, but they are hands down the best jeans I have ever worn.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    559 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    Maybe it would help if we knew the WHY behind you specifically wanting selvedge jeans. It is the quality, the durability, the way the seam looks, because you want raw denim to create your own unique wear patterns, etc?

Because if it's about quality or durability, a $30 pair of jeans is a $30 pair of jeans regardless of whether they are selvedge or not.

If it's because you like the way they look or like the seam style when you roll up the cuff then probably any brand will do the trick as long as they fit.

If you want raw denim, look outside of selvedge jeans. Just because they are selvedge doesn't mean they are raw and vice versa.
    I was wondering this in general, not necessarily for the OP--but what are the advantages, if any, of selvedge?
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1455 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    This ^^ I broke out my winter clothes this past weekend and pulled my selvedge jeans out from under the bed. I decided to donate the other pants/jeans I had hanging in the closet this summer since none of them fit anymore. Looks like I may be in the market for some new pants myself.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    This article does give a very nice in depth discussion of the difference between selvedge and raw and the benefits of each. One thing it doesn't discuss is the sanforization process. Sanforized raw denim has been treated (sanforized) to prevent shrinking. It will still shrink a little bit (DSTLD said anywhere from 10-20% or so if memory serves) so you want to buy it with a little extra room and a little extra length. Non sanforized raw denim shrinks A LOT. You need a lot of extra room to accommodate how much it will shrink. Important to know whether it has been sanforized or not to get the proper post-wash fit. This is not an issue for washed denim as it has been washed, often several times, and hence all the shrinking has already happened.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain