Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, I need an intro pair of selvedge jeans...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    ustin is where I want to end up. I am a little intimidated by the measurement process and making sure I get the selvedge the way I want. I have a buddy that has ordered several pair of thier chino style pants and he had to try a couple of times to get his comfortable and correct.
    If you are concerned, reach out to their customer service. They are excellent. They let me return multiple items that did not fit right.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    I've had good luck with DSTLD Denim https://www.dstld.com/. The issue is they only have selvedge occasionally. It looks like they've changed their line a bit since I last bought jeans from them. I like their straight fit and have one selvedge straight fit pair from them, and two non-selvedge raw denim pair (meaning they were not rinsed after dying but are not made of selvedge denim - jeans can be either raw, or selvedge, or both. IMO if you want custom fades going raw is more important than getting selvedge.) that I've had for longer. The oldest are probably 3+ years old and have faded beautifully. The selvedge ones, which are about a year old, likewise are fading nicely.

Looking at their straight fit jeans now, it looks like they don't have any selvedge, or even non-selvedge raw denim ones anymore. They have a dark wash they claim gives you the raw denim look (and also they claim will fade over time) but without the raw denim hassle. Their raw denim and selvedge raw were sanforized to minimize shrinking, but they did shrink some on the first wash, and you have to hang them dry rather than use the dryer. They're not super cheap but by no means are they super expensive either. About in the ballpark of Unbranded price wise. I had not heard of Unbranded until this thread, but it looks like they are operating on the same model DSTLD started on, but with DSTLD's changes, if you want the true raw selvedge denim experience I would look elsewhere at this point since they seem to have moved away from that niche.
    Last edited by mark4; November 4th, 2019 at 01:07 PM.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I'll add a +1 for Target. Inexpensive and seems like they got a good review on the main site a while back. I've got a pair in their "slim straight" fit which to me hits a nice sweet spot -- they fit kind of like modernized 501s. The leg opening is about 1/2" smaller (folded flat) than 501s and they trimmed out some of the bulk above the knee. I bought my normal size and they were spot on.

Looks like they were blowing them out for $20 and now they're out of stock:

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-slim-...76#lnk=sametab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a while and I think this is the year. I dont wear denim a lot but I am not super thrilled with what I have. I dont want to drop big coin yet but I need the "Seiko 5" of selvedge. That one that is pretty good for the money and leads you down the terribly expensive road. Target used to have one but I see its hard to find in stores. Any other suggestions? Uniqlo?
    How about Amazon for under $60?

Here's the dappered article with link:

https://dappered.com/2018/09/in-revi...elvedge-denim/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Maybe it would help if we knew the WHY behind you specifically wanting selvedge jeans. It is the quality, the durability, the way the seam looks, because you want raw denim to create your own unique wear patterns, etc?

Because if it's about quality or durability, a $30 pair of jeans is a $30 pair of jeans regardless of whether they are selvedge or not.

If it's because you like the way they look or like the seam style when you roll up the cuff then probably any brand will do the trick as long as they fit.

If you want raw denim, look outside of selvedge jeans. Just because they are selvedge doesn't mean they are raw and vice versa.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    Maybe it would help if we knew the WHY behind you specifically wanting selvedge jeans. It is the quality, the durability, the way the seam looks, because you want raw denim to create your own unique wear patterns, etc?

Because if it's about quality or durability, a $30 pair of jeans is a $30 pair of jeans regardless of whether they are selvedge or not.

If it's because you like the way they look or like the seam style when you roll up the cuff then probably any brand will do the trick as long as they fit.

If you want raw denim, look outside of selvedge jeans. Just because they are selvedge doesn't mean they are raw and vice versa.
    I second this. People assume that selvedge denim is always raw denim but that is not the case. Selvedge denim can be rinsed, washed, distressed and pre-shrunk just like non-selvedge denim. It's woven differently so it looks a little different but that difference is subtle except for the self edge along the interior seams, which no one will ever see unless you roll your cuffs.

If you're looking for the raw denim experience it can be obtained with either raw selvedge or raw non-selvedge but the key is to get raw denim. The only real advantage to raw over non-raw dark wash denim is that the raw stuff will develop natural custom fading faster. Even washed dark denim will fade at wear points eventually but it takes longer. Either way you have to wear the jeans a minimum of 15 or so times between washing to get optimal fading as wear is what causes fading and dirt is (to a large extent) what causes wear.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159
    Maybe it would help if we knew the WHY behind you specifically wanting selvedge jeans.
    I third this.

If it turns out that you just want good jeans at a great price, then I heartily recommend the 100% cotton version of the Jomers White Oak Cone denim:

https://jomers.com/collections/pants...ne-denim-rinse

I'm not a denim-head in the least, but these are noticeably heavier, sturdier and higher quality than the Levi's and Gap jeans I've had in recent years. They have no "stretch" and a zip fly, which was a must for me, though they do have a version with 2% spandex as well.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1115 Post(s)
    A good part of it is the cuff. I am particular about the way my pants break so I usually cuff my jeans when I wear boots. Have done it forever. Was never an issue until selvedge became a thing and now it feels odd to cuff a non selvedge pair since that has become a signature of that subculture. Maybe it’s a silly reason but basically I am tired of people going “oh never mind, I thought you had selvedge on.” Ok that’s happened once in my life...but it’s in my head now lol. And they do look better cuffed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    Count my vote as another one for Uniqlo. Entry level price point, free hemming in store, built-in stretch (unless you really hate stretch, in which case I think you are mostly limited to Gustin). I was curious about selvedge, bought exactly one pair of Uniqlo, and never felt the need to look into fancier stuff since.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I would not recommend BR's Selvedge Rapid Movement if you have big boi legs. I have sticks for legs and man, I thought they'd be a little longer (definitely doesn't feel like 32 length) and wider but eh, they are super comfy. Not really heavy weight so i wouldn't really suggest them. My pair of naked and famous weird guy selvedge was pretty good but the waist was too small after a while (I ordered 29 but should have gone 30). After having stretch jeans though, I can't really say I want to go back to heavy denim pants that feel like towels around my legs.