Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with leather weekender bag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Looks like you are going for upscale. I've recently discovered Hook & Albert. Lifetime no questions asked warranty (they recently sent me parts for free for a bag I purchased used--just paid a nominal shipping and handling charge).

Do you want to be able to pack a suit that hangs up when open and rolls up when closed?

If so:

Leather:

https://www.hookandalbert.com/produc...nder-bag-brown

Twill:

https://www.hookandalbert.com/produc...ender-bag-navy

Oh, and as wonderful as Saddleback Leather is, those don't look very functional for a weekender type bag.

That looks like a real nice looking back. Maybe obvious question, but can it also act as just a regular weekender if you are not using it as a suit bag?

And yea, I've gonna back and forth re the wheeled carry on but I really just don't like the look of them. Also, most of our travel is by car so I wouldn't mind carrying a duffle style.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    558 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMS575 View Post
    That looks like a real nice looking back. Maybe obvious question, but can it also act as just a regular weekender if you are not using it as a suit bag?

And yea, I've gonna back and forth re the wheeled carry on but I really just don't like the look of them. Also, most of our travel is by car so I wouldn't mind carrying a duffle style.

Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    I have the garment weekender and it’s great. You can fit a good amount of stuff in it. A broader point is that even if you can fit everything into a weekender bag it might be a pain to carry it around due to the weight.

I think that's a question for @Token because he has one. My H&A luggage is a large wheeled garment bag that I am using on a long vacation where I will need a couple of suits or sports coats.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMS575 View Post

Yeah the suit storage part is essentially a zipper that runs through the lining of the bag. Doesn’t interfere with using it like a normal weekender.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    yeah, I am all function for airline travel. roller carry on and backpack personal item. I did a large duffel for a trip to mexico once, never again. After lugging that thing around the airport I was sweating like a pig. I also repeatedly bumped into people.
    A long sweaty walk to the train station in Venice with rollers AND a duffel made me into a “backpack is just fine for travel” guy. You know what doesn’t look Dappered? Trying to order an espresso in broken Italian at the train station whilst sweat drips off your nose on to the counter... never again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    A long sweaty walk to the train station in Venice with rollers AND a duffel made me into a “backpack is just fine for travel” guy. You know what doesn’t look Dappered? Trying to order an espresso in broken Italian at the train station whilst sweat drips off your nose on to the counter... never again.
    I hear you on that one. We recently went to Italy as well and both the wife and I went with backpacks. Ended up working out great. Really wish I could just go back there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I dont have any experience with those but i had a leather weekender for a little bit. I just want to throw it out there that I enjoy my canvas weekender and duffel a lot more. Lighter, more flexible for cramming into an overhead, and stores way smaller when not in use. and they still look great to me. You can get one with some good leather accents too. The Jcrew abingdon is a decent example of what I am talking about. Filson has some great options if you want to go up a little in price/quality.

Also, keep an eye on Gustin. I love this bag...
    https://www.weargustin.com/store/bag...el-waxed-brown

and if this leather is like the briefcase, it should be a great bag...
    https://www.weargustin.com/store/bag...r-chromexcel-8
    +1 for the Gustin recommendation. I've been waiting for their weekender in Nut Brown Dublin to roll around to match the Deluxe Briefcase I picked up from them. I'm also intrigued by that one you linked from Etsy...Looks like decent leather and a nice price. Similar design as the Hershel Duffel.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    I was looking recently for a leather weekender with a lower budget then yours.

Couldn't find something decent in my price range and decided to go with a Filson canvas instead that was on sale for a great price.

Then I changed my mind again and decided to go with the medium duffle from Tecovas. I wanted the small size as a carryon for smaller regional planes.

Beautiful bag but the comments about the weight are very true. First time I used it I had a long walk to my connecting flight and the weight was uncomfortable.