Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm done.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    466 Post(s)

I'm done.

Wife refused the use of mothballs "they smell so tacky its like hello 1990s omg lol" and now almost all of my suits and coats have holes in them.

I give up.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    I'll pour one out for your wardrobe tonight. That really sucks. I'd stay away from mothballs though - while they do kill moths they're not entirely benign to human health either - they're fairly toxic. PutThisOn has done numerous articles on moth prevention so that would be a place to start looking for a solution. It might be worth calling an exterminator and see what they recommend for moths. May be worth asking them about whether some sort of Pyrethrum treatment would work on moths? It's pretty much non-toxic to humans (it's basically derived from chrysanthemum flowers) and works on a lot of types of insects. They make sprays (sold at REI and probably elsewhere) for impregnating clothing with the stuff for repelling and killing ticks and mosquitos, and the treatment supposedly lasts for like 20 washes or several months.

I had a guy who specializes in stinging insect removal take car of a bald faced hornet nest that was right on the eaves by my back deck once, and he had used a powder impregnated with the stuff and used no protective gear whatsoever when applying it. He's working with it all day every day. Worth looking into if it saves you from having this happen again.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)

Also, too

“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1076 Post(s)
    Ouch.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    554 Post(s)
    Give up on what? Don't do anything drastic because of clothing. At least they can't eat leather and your footwear is intact.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    I’m assuming infestation isn’t something home-owners/renters insurance covered huh?

Also too late but cedar boards are supposed to keep moths away. Removable planks in your closet can be resanded if you start over

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear about your stuff. It's a good reminder to keep perspective that our things are just things and there's no knowing when they will fall victim to entropy like everything else in the world does.

I've never had all my stuff eaten but I feel like I've been through the cycle several times where I've got a really solid suit wardrobe, and then my weight/build changes slightly and I find myself needing to rebuild my professional wardrobe from scratch. So I won't say I've been exactly where you are at now but I have been somewhere similar.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; November 1st, 2019 at 07:36 PM.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I can relate but on a smaller scale after discovering a hole in the arm of my favorite suit (SS Napoli) a couple weeks ago. First time it's happened to me and a major bummer but thankfully just one item. For some reason moth holes always seemed like an old timey problem that I didn't even need to think about but I've now learned my lesson. My solution, which I hope is adequate, has been to put my hanging wool items in garment bags and the others in plastic storage containers with lids.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Is this a common thing? This is not something I have ever really thought about or feared but I guess maybe I should be more careful. Is it more common in warm locations?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    If it helps anyone, I use the clothes moths traps as a precaution. Those don't get rid of moths if you have a problem, but they are an early warning much like having yellow sticky traps in the garden to observe species present. I replace them about every 4 months at a cost of about $20 / year.

I found a moth in a trap before, but it turned out to be a pantry moth. Still, I was ready to bomb the closet with pyrethrins that afternoon...