Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carmina vs. Allen Edmonds sizing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Carmina vs. Allen Edmonds sizing

I'm looking to try some Carminas for my next shoe purchase. Sadly, there are no brick and mortar locations for me to try them.

Does anyone who has experience with both AE and Carmina happen to know how the sizing on a 10E Park Ave would translate into the Carmina "Rain" last? (Also, if you think there's another Carmina last that is more appropriate, feel free to mention it. I just know the Rain tends to be a bit wider while still having a great, chiseled look.)

Thanks!

P.S. apologies for yet another sizing thread...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Sorry that this won't actually be any help OP, but could a Dappered software engineer or web developer just quickly pull together a website where people can submit their various shoes and the sizes they wear so we can crowd source sizing across brands and lasts????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    Sorry that this won't actually be any help OP, but could a Dappered software engineer or web developer just quickly pull together a website where people can submit their various shoes and the sizes they wear so we can crowd source sizing across brands and lasts????
    Love this. It's such a consistent problem, but existing threads are all specific to specific sizes and shoes, so most of us inevitably just end up creating an additional thread hoping someone has our size. Gets messy quickly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Thanks! I actually stumbled on that thread earlier, but there's only 1 post that matches my specific AE + Carmina question. I distrust it quite a bit, cause the poster suggests he wears a 10E US and a 10 UK is tight on him, which seems an odd claim...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I'm a 10D in AE (including the last used for Strand/Park Ave) and have several shoes/boots in the Rain last. For derbies and oxfords, I went down one full size to 9UK in Rain. The fit in terms of length and width is fantastic, though I get a bit of extra volume near the toes which has led to some minor creasing. It's a much better fit on me than anything I've tried from Allen Edmonds, whose shoes have always felt a bit loose on me (I have tried AE's C width and it is too tight, so that's not it). Everyone claims that Carmina's Rain last is one of their wider fits, which I don't understand given what I've experienced with AE.

Also, I've got a pair of suede chukkas in the Rain last that I went up to 9.5 on since I intended to mostly wear them casually with thicker socks. While they fit great that way, I should have stuck with the 9 and just always worn thinner socks. I'll occasionally wear them to work and don't like to pair the thick wool socks with dress slacks.

I've got a pair of jumper boots in Carmina's Oscar last. Same as with the chukkas, I sized up to 9.5 and they fit great with thicker wool socks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jikaasik View Post
    Thanks! I actually stumbled on that thread earlier, but there's only 1 post that matches my specific AE + Carmina question. I distrust it quite a bit, cause the poster suggests he wears a 10E US and a 10 UK is tight on him, which seems an odd claim...

That sounds completely wrong. I'd ignore that comment.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Forgot to add that Carmina's Rain (and all English/Spanish shoes I've tried) fits my instep a lot better than AE. I always ended up with a v gap in the laces of AE oxfords that I've never experienced on Carmina, JFitzpatrick, C&J, Alfred Sargent or Carlos Santos.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    Rain is their normal width last. I’d go with 9E or maybe 9EE if you actually have a wide foot (some people size up to E on the 65 last even though they have standard width feet).

Bottom line is that you’re gonna have to try it out as everyone’s feet is different, and also being off by half a size or width isn’t the end of the world. I forget if Carmina has free shipping and returns.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    I am a 12D in AE 65 and 511 lasts and an 11UK in the Rain last. With a wider foot you would need to increase size or width for Rain to feel comfortable.