Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silicone wedding ring anyone?

Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1453 Post(s)

Silicone wedding ring anyone?

Are any of you gents (or ladies who follow the forums) swapping out your metal wedding ring for a silicone one?

I am still wearing my gold ring and am not planning on moving to a silicone one. I just take my ring off when lifting weights/working out, and then put it back on again.

Curious to know what others are doing. And if you are wearing a silicone band, do you wear it full time or only when working out?
    Last edited by DocDave; October 30th, 2019 at 07:46 PM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    I bought a couple off of the infamous ali express for about $2 each and I use them all the time. My wife likes the metal band but the comfort of the silicone is so much better. I keep one on my key chain and swap when needed. I would wear it full time if not for the lady. I wear it when working out, hiking, etc...any physical activity. I also wear it when working on cars or anything around the house that might take more than an hour or so.

realistically, here is how it goes...I wear my metal band until I need the silicone. Then the silicone stays on my finger until one of two things happens...we go somewhere nice enough for me to wear one of my "real" watches instead of just the garmin OR the wife says "did you lose the real one?" lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    When Iím really working in the garage, I wear 9mil latex gloves, just so that I donít have to spend a bunch of time scrubbing afterward. Probably not the most certain way of avoiding shorting something, but generally fine. Itís wise to disconnect the battery any time youíre working in the engine bay just out of habit.

If Iím yanking on stuff out there, I just put it in my toolbox. Sadly, my tools eclipse my gold ring in value, so things in there tend not to get lost.

No silicone - I guess we arenít super traditional. Officiant at our wedding wore a colander on his head...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    I wear a silicone ring. I have two, one a half size smaller for colder months. I have two in black, but want to get two in silver also, to closer resemble a real wedding band. I actually lost my original band attempting to save a drowning bird in the ocean. My wife isn't sentimental in that way, so it wasn't a big deal. Hell, she wears a fake ring all the time, as she feels she would lose hers. I was always taking my band off, for jiu jitsu, car work, lifting weights, gardening, you name it....

Never take the silicone off, so it's working out for me.
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.Ē ― Charles Bukowski

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fourmotioneer View Post
    When I’m really working in the garage, I wear 9mil latex gloves, just so that I don’t have to spend a bunch of time scrubbing afterward. Probably not the most certain way of avoiding shorting something, but generally fine. It’s wise to disconnect the battery any time you’re working in the engine bay just out of habit.

If I’m yanking on stuff out there, I just put it in my toolbox. Sadly, my tools eclipse my gold ring in value, so things in there tend not to get lost.

No silicone - I guess we aren’t super traditional. Officiant at our wedding wore a colander on his head...
    i dont take mine off when working on the car because of electrical. I have had it jam up when reaching in tight spaces before. and i have heard the horror stories of skin being stripped off by a stuck ring. no thanks.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)
    I quickly replaced my two tone gold ring (with a small diamond!) a year or two into our marriage (13 years this weekend) with a polished stainless steel band. I really liked the way it looked. However, my brother in law picked up a Groove silicone ring a couple years ago, and raved about how comfortable it was. So I picked up a matching set for my wife and I before a hiking trip to Acadia and neither of us have gone back to our traditional rings. She might bust her diamond ring out for nice occasions, but the silicone ring is really really comfortable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    My wife and I are both silicone now. It started as a gift for her for when we are hiking/climbing/camping etc, but she liked it so much itís almost all she wears except during nicer events.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    I have one as a secondary type ring. I really like it as an option and also for traveling. Iíve had it for almost a year or so now. Married for 8. I wear it during hockey, house work, going to the range, but not so much at the gym. Even with a silicone ring I get a much better grip without it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Something about a gold one just seems more classic and I like that. I wear my gold one 90% of the time. Usually only put on the silicone one if Iím doing something physical (gym, yard work, etc.).

I bought the Qalo brand one (at least I think thatís what itís called). It was around $15 if I remember correctly and works just fine.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    468 Post(s)
    i just remove when it or I could get damaged, and put it back on when that activity is done.

exception is work travel to...austere locations. sometimes it stays home for that.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com