Thread: Weight loss tailoring question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Weight loss tailoring question

Over the last 10 months, Iíve lost about 35 pounds. When would you all consider getting things tailored? My waist has lost about an inch, I tend to hold weight higher up, so the jacket of most of my suits will need to be taken in a bit. But thatís quite a few suits already.
    When would you consider re-tailoring stuff? Iíve held pretty consistent for the last two months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    When the fit is consistently wrong or unflattering and you are able to tailor without things looking "too tight", go for it.

Ultimately, it's something to chat with your tailor about. A good one won't necessarily say "yeah let's do it", they'll actually look at a few things on you and give you advice after seeing the "whole package" in person as it were.
    Last edited by armedferret; October 29th, 2019 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)
    Another option you may consider that doesn't involve leaving the house could be to get some clear photos of a few items on your body and post in this thread on styleforum:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/t...estions.265924

there are some EXTREMELY well-known and accomplished tailors who take time regularly to provide free advice to people on fit and what specifically to keep in mind if they need fit adjusted on a garment.

and you can do it all in slippers or pajama pants. unless you're asking about the fit of pants. in which case you obviously couldn't do the jammies.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    When the fit is consistently wrong or unflattering and you are able to tailor without things looking "too tight", go for it.

Ultimately, it's something to chat with your tailor about. A good one won't necessarily say "yeah let's do it", they'll actually look at a few things on you and give you advice after seeing the "whole package" in person as it were.
    My tailor actually told me some of my suits just werenít worth it considering what it would cost him to take in. I appreciate that honesty.

As to the original question only you can really know when you feel comfortable in your lifestyle.

What I probably would do is buy new clothes in your new sizes but a bare minimum. Maybe 1 suit if you wear those etc. see how that feels. If sustainable then slowly start getting your stuff tailored. I wouldnít rush it all at once.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post

What I probably would do is buy new clothes in your new sizes but a bare minimum. Maybe 1 suit if you wear those etc. see how that feels. If sustainable then slowly start getting your stuff tailored. I wouldn’t rush it all at once.
    This seems like sound advice. The brass tacks truth is weight can fluctuate and weight loss can be hard to maintain, especially as you get older.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)
    I'd give a similar answer as to a prior query here about tailor or replace after weight loss: immediately tailor a few items so you have a couple of outfits for when you want to look your best, then as time goes by tailor or replace more of the wardrobe. This way you have something to wear now that shows off the current accomplishment (and makes it easy to notice if you regain), as well as ongoing rewards for maintaining or improving those results, and prevents splurging in case you go back up or keep going down.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1466 Post(s)
    Well this may not answer your question, but after reading this on PutThisOn, I know what I'm doing with all of my clothes that no longer fit...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    I've done both tailoring and buying new stuff.

It really depends on the structure of the garment and where the size difference is as well as how great the difference is.

Give it a try with a jacket where the shoulders still look okay. If you are lucky, the chest will also look okay afterwards. The worst part I've found is the sleeves can be too long which is expensive and annoying. It works best if the jacket is a solid color and not patterned.

The problem with buying while losing weight is you end up having to tailor again anyway. That is, you buy a smaller suit size and lose another ten pounds, now the waist doesn't fit even if the chest still fits.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    I'd give a similar answer as to a prior query here about tailor or replace after weight loss: immediately tailor a few items so you have a couple of outfits for when you want to look your best, then as time goes by tailor or replace more of the wardrobe. This way you have something to wear now that shows off the current accomplishment (and makes it easy to notice if you regain), as well as ongoing rewards for maintaining or improving those results, and prevents splurging in case you go back up or keep going down.
    This is the way I've done it. Also, I decided that some of the suits weren't worth it and replaced those when a good sale came along.

Recently, I had my tailor take down a 44 jacket to about a 42 or 41. I was surprised at how good it looked. It was $100, but the sleeves were okay because he had done those about two years ago. But that was a $700 cashmere sports coat (got it on sale though for the ridiculous price of about $100). So, that was worth it.

But the $249 Macy's special? Better to buy something new and donate the old one to Goodwill.

At any rate, the advice to do just a few pieces at a time is good. That way, you have some flexibility if you have setbacks. And if you maintain for a year or two, by that time you might find you need something different.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?