Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: What winter coat will you be wearing or want to get this year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I currently wear:

Arcteryx Atom LT - my go-to everyday technical puffer jacket if I'm casual
    Ben Sherman Peacoat w/ quilted lining if it's colder than usual

This year I'm looking to pick up an overcoat, having a tough time deciding between:

Spier Mackay or other brand wool/cashmere blend overcoat (I tried the JCrew one and it was also pretty good)
    Theory double-faced cashmere coat that I got at a discount but am concerned it will wear out quickly

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1133 Post(s)
    finally put my J crew Sussex to a bit of a test this weekend. Nothing crazy with low temps int he 40s but wore it all weekend out walking Greenville, SC and it was comfortable enough in the warmer times and kept me toasty when the sun went down and wind picked up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    FYI for anyone thinking of ordering the down jacket from Uniqlo. I was wearing the jacket today as I waited for the bus. The outside temperature was 3 degrees and I'd say the jacket was pretty much at its limit. So if you're looking for a jacket to keep you warm below freezing, the Uniqlo down jacket might not be the one. Hope this helps.
    I'm assuming that's 3 degrees Celsius? Because 3 degrees Fahrenheit is well below freezing. If it is indeed 3 degrees Celsius that's astonishingly wimpy for a down coat or jacket. They're usually good for deep freeze temps.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1133 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    I'm assuming that's 3 degrees Celsius? Because 3 degrees Fahrenheit is well below freezing. If it is indeed 3 degrees Celsius that's astonishingly wimpy for a down coat or jacket. They're usually good for deep freeze temps.
    not necessarily. Especially not these days. I mean, there are plenty that are, but you absolutely cant expect that from a down puffer just because its a down puffer. They have become somewhat a fashion piece so light puffer that only goes to 3 Celsius for comfort isnt a huge shock to me. the trend towards lightweight packable ones mean they are not meant to be used standalone. A base layer, at least one shirt, and a fleece are usually under a puffer for a lot of todays hikers. And a rain shell can go over all of that.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)
    how many celciums to the fortnight is it again? I think it's gotta be at least 16 rods to the furlong, and the you go furlong to the stone, and then to the Farenhaught.

So what like, 170 Degrees?

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2099 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    how many celciums to the fortnight is it again? I think it's gotta be at least 16 rods to the furlong, and the you go furlong to the stone, and then to the Farenhaught.

So what like, 170 Degrees?
    You forgot to convert twelve pence to the shilling and twenty shillings to the pound.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1133 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    You forgot to convert twelve pence to the shilling and twenty shillings to the pound.
    and just how many tuppence is all of that?

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    and just how many tuppence is all of that?
    i'm pretty sure a tuppence is 0.932 twoneys.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    167 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    i'm pretty sure a tuppence is 0.932 twoneys.
    "Twoneys"? Please tell me that double-barrelled currency misnomer is deliberate (yes, I get the conversion joke of the prior comments but all the other unit names were correct).

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)
    any canadian calling it a 'toonie' has it wrong. it's two-looneys. a twoney.