Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Replacement ? for Quartz Watch Owners

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    533 Post(s)

Battery Replacement ? for Quartz Watch Owners

I was curious for those that have several watches what do you do when your batteries die?

I've been rocking an automatic now for quite a while but have a box of some watches that I wear seasonally or have emotional attachment to. I just checked the other day as I usually wear one particularly around Christmas time and I'd garner that one and overall 4 of them are dead.

Do you replace yourself? Take them all to one company? Do them one at time? Looking for any sort of advice as I figure out what to do. I won't wear many of them as I now prefer one nice watch for 90% of my watch wearing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I bought a watch tool kit and I replace all of the batteries and gaskets myself. Minimal effort and it satisfies my unending need to open things up and look at them!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    A few years ago the battery in my Tissot died. I took it to a local watch repair shop to have it replaced and ‘re-waterproofed’. I have no idea what kind of waterproofing could have been done in that 10 minutes but decided whatever it was it wasn’t worth the 30 dollars. So when the battery died again recently I just bought some batteries along with some gaskets and silicone grease and replaced them myself.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    If it has a press back, I take it somewhere. I hate those things. Screw backs I do myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1518 Post(s)
    I take my watches in to the local watch shop/guy to get the battery replaced.

Funny you should bring up this post. I looked in my watch box this morning and three of my quartz watches were dead. I'll likely leave them that way, at least in the short term. I am pretty much exclusively wearing automatic watches these days. If/when I have some international travel coming up, I may think about changing the battery then.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    The waterproofing thing is no joke. And the pressure fit ones v. a screw back are sometimes difficult to get back on. I usually take batteries to get swapped by someone with the right press, so I can be sure of a good seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    If it has a press back, I take it somewhere. I hate those things.
    i'm at the point where i just don't buy them LOL they do stink to take off.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    i'm at the point where i just don't buy them LOL they do stink to take off.
    Yeah, I dont buy them anymore but I have received a few as gifts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    533 Post(s)
    Thanks for the updates gents. Sent one off with my wife this am to get a new battery. Will probably do one at a time. This makes me think I should sell off the non sentimental ones.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Yeah, I dont buy them anymore but I have received a few as gifts.
    I bought a watch case press off of Amazon two weeks ago because two of my quartzes have press backs. It took longer to find the appropriate size disc than it did to snap the caseback into place. The press cost me $18 and I figure it would have cost minimum $10 each to have one of those quick fix places in the mall do it. So I guess I made money on that deal!