Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What winter coat will you be wearing or want to get this year?

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    I’ve got tons of coats and jackets. Many of them are 3-season pieces that I honestly don’t consider true winter outerwear due to the weather we get here.

In terms of winter-specific outerwear, for work purposes I mostly wear a navy Lands’ End quilted coat (kind of a Barbour style) or a charcoal houndstooth wool BR topcoat that I’ve had for years.

For casual use I have a Patagonia down sweater, a Mountain Hardwear down puffer, and a honkin’ ol’ Abercrombie and Fitch parka. I also wear the parka to the office when it’s really, really cold.

It’s -5 and windy out this morning so I’ve already gotten use out of all of them this year....
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Well since this has turned into a coat confessional...starting from warmest to least warm I have
    Lands' End down parka - bought on after Christmas sale for like $140, keeps me warm when the temperatures approach 0 degrees Fahrenheit (and that's the actual air temps, not wind chill). Generally worn when the temps drop into the teens or lower, or into the 20s if I'm going to be outside for a long time.

Next up, I'm guessing here, but I bought the nylon shell Roark Revival Axe Jacket (black with contrasting corduroy collar) - it's true jacket length and I have not yet been able to test the warmth as it has not gotten cold here in the DC area yet, and probably won't for another month. I'd guess it's about as warm as any synthetic fill wind proof jacket.

Patagonia Nano Puff jacket that is a half decade or more old. Not super stylish but it gets the job done to fairly cold temps.

This one I forgot so am editing - the Lands' End quilted car coat. Got that last year on discount and was pleasantly surprised at how good it looks and it's pretty warm and wind and light precip resistant.

Fifth is a tough call...I have a J Crew Wallace and Barnes deck jacket that is unlined - basically it's a single breasted version of a pea coat with snap closure instead of buttons. Even though its unlined the wool is dense and warm. It's a true jacket length. This was also obtained on steep discount as the W&B stuff is generally too rich for my blood at full price. My main complaint about it is the pockets open at the top rather than on a slant so they suck for keeping hands warm as your hand have to be put in straight down rather than on the more comfortable side-entry angle most handwarmer pockets have.

Sixth is probably my Lands' End navy duffle coat. It may be warmer than the deck jacket - it would be by weight/length but they made it a true toggle closure duffle so it has no zipper. Most duffles these days have a zipper as the main closure and the toggles close the storm flap. Not this one. As a result, it's draftier than it really should be - otherwise it would be warmer than that deck jacket for sure.

Seventh the Abercrombie and Fitch Dad Coat - I really like it style wise but it is not that thick or heavy and it has no insulation other than the wool. OK for winters here in the DC area but I wouldn't trust it to keep me warm for long at temps below freezing. I kind of like the lighter weight because I can wear it open on chillier fall days without getting overheated.

Finally I have a waxed cotton field jacket from Lands' End (real genuine British Millerain inner and outer fabric) with 40 gram insulation, or so it said on the website description. It's OK into the upper 30s if I dress warmly underneath debatable whether its a true winter coat IMO.

Then I have an assortment of lighter weight jackets which I will not go into as this is a winter coat discussion. I guess I could use a dressier overcoat than the A&F one but it gets me by and I don't really have all that many full on formal events so I'm probably not going for one this year as I would probably not wear it much.

I'm really tempted to get a Navy pea coat (probably the Schott NYC one) - it's a little redundant given that I have that deck jacket but there's something about the DB look I really like. Plus it's warmer because that overlap of fabric where the jacket closes really cuts down on drafts. Also it would have real hand warmer pockets. We'll see. Probably wait until next year or later on that one too.
    Last edited by mark4; October 29th, 2019 at 11:34 AM.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1458 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    You guys are all enablers. I need another coat like I need another pair of boots...that I just ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The first step to recovery is recognizing and admitting you have a problem. What boots did you order?

Re: the OPs question..

I have a Uniqlo down jacket that I wear for cool-ish days. For example it was 5 degrees here yesterday morning as I waited for the bus. The the Uniqlo down jacket kept me warm no problem.

When winter does hit though, I break out the JC camel coat. I don't know if the jacket would keep me warm in -20 weather, but for the 0 to -10ish, the jacket does the job fine.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    The first step to recovery is recognizing and admitting you have a problem. What boots did you order?

Re: the OPs question..

I have a Uniqlo down jacket that I wear for cool-ish days. For example it was 5 degrees here yesterday morning as I waited for the bus. The the Uniqlo down jacket kept me warm no problem.

When winter does hit though, I break out the JC camel coat. I don't know if the jacket would keep me warm in -20 weather, but for the 0 to -10ish, the jacket does the job fine.
    I have been hunting for a pair of chukkas to replace some super comfortable ones I got for $7 on clearance at target a while back. They are falling apart but were a pleasant surprise and have been hard to match, shockingly. I tried on some Born Henricks a while back and they were very comfortable for me, even if not my ideal look. I just finally gave up and ordered the comfortable option. They are just to wear with jeans and a henley or chunky sweater.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    Peacoat. It's classic, masculine, can go from casual to smart-casual/semi-formal, and wool is naturally water-resistant.

For really cold weather or freezing rain I wear a classic waterproof hip-length parka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I wear a vintage military wool overcoat. Bulgarian Air Force, to be exact. 1980s, I believe. Love the thing. Apart from that I have two faux leather jackets, a ratty hoodie, and a faux fur lined Wrangler shirt. Nothin' fancy.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    I am also overly-coated and jacketed. I have an olive corduroy Brooks Brothers (OK, 346) Harrington, I have a red Brooks Brothers Harrington, I have a quilted Barbour that I'm too lazy to look up right now, I have my dad's old heavy wool bridge coat from when he was in the Navy and I just got a SuperDry Classic Rookie Military Jacket (https://www.superdry.com/us/mens/jac...-jacket--green). I don't hear SD getting much airplay on Dappered, but I've always secretly liked some of their stuff. I picked this one up for $55 at one of the omnipresent Off 5th sales and it is great.

Now, all we need is actual cold weather in Texas. Actually, it's not bad this week (highs in the 50s, lows in the upper 30s), but that's about as cold as it gets here, except for the inevitable ice storm in January when we get non-stop coverage from the iced over bridges and overpasses.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    It's generally a fairly mild winter around these parts. I picked up a Filson Polson Field Jacket in coyote brown during the summer sale this past year that I think is going to be getting lots of time in the rotation. Otherwise, I have one of those North Face quilted jackets and a LL Bean Pullover that will be filling in.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Let me grab a folding chair and a styrofoam cup of coffee and join this meeting of Outerwear Anonymous. I’m reminded of a thread from around the time I joined Dappered titled something like “Are we done yet?” that really highlighted two schools of thought regarding building a wardrobe. I’m of the “pretty much set” school when it comes to most things, but undoubtedly of the “never quite finished” school for outerwear. Also, since we’re getting confessional, I am super picky and will often buy coats and keep them around the house during the return period just to be sure they’ll work out. Yes, I have a problem.

This year I’ve been going full Miami Dolphins and snatching up numerous options at every stage of the draft. I’m always keeping my eyes open for a steal that will fill a gap in my (growing) collection. Need me that franchise QB, plus a workhorse back, lockdown corner, and ball-hawk safety…

Leaving aside lightweight spring/fall/rainy jackets, since the OP mentioned winter, here’s what I’m working with so far. I’ll try to update with links later. Keep in mind my wardrobe is from casual up to the lower end of business casual. Almost never wear suits, so I don’t own any overcoats.

- Cole Haan Signature four-pocket quilted jacket in black. Not sure what the “Signature” line is, but I scooped this jacket up when the Amazon algorithm dropped it crazy low. Build quality is great, and it has enough warmth to handle the fall plus the more mild parts of the NYC winter. It’s cut in the British moto jacket style, and I later found out that it’s basically a shot-for-shot remake of the Burberry Brit “Russell” quilted jacket. HOWEVER: this one has hidden side-entry hand warmer pockets and a smooth sleeve lining, which the Burberry inexplicably lacks. Those two things are a deal breaker for me for a coat meant to be worn in chilly weather. I think it could work for both casual and business casual.

- Scotch & Soda mid weight stand collar puffer in black. Slim cut, very clean simple style, and the type of puffer that I wouldn’t have gone for 7 years ago. Haven’t had a chance to wear it in the cold yet, but looks like it should deliver well. No hood, but room enough to layer a *cough* hoodie underneath, and I find a slim puffer without the hood looks a bit more sharp. Primaloft insulation instead of down, which I prefer because unless you get a REALLY nice down coat, the feathers always seem to poke through. Would it be a stretch to call this one business casual? Yes. Will it stop me this winter? Probably not. Amazon algorithm also dropped this one crazy low.

- Uniqlo down (blend?) parka in black. Have to find a photo of this one. I bought it on clearance in early 2017 so it must be the A/W 2016 line. They’ve changed these a bit but they still probably have something comparable. OP may be interested because it’s built in the classic N3-B parka style that Canada Goose and everyone else have been doing for the past 5 years, but it’s a fraction of the price and SUPER warm. Can only wear this thing comfortably below 32F, maybe below 25F. I've worn it in single digits and my upper body was completely warm. For me, the NYC winter is weird and unpredictable, so I don’t want to shell out $500 or even $1000 on a coat that will only be used for a week or two. OP is in Kansas City, which I’m not familiar with, but sounds like there are only a few weeks of absolutely brutal winter. This one has survived a little over two full winters with no wear or down leakage. You can even wear these parkas over a suit like Tom Hiddleston in the Night Manager.

- Abercrombie & Fitch peacoat in navy. Found this for $30 at a TJ Maxx last fall, and the quality of the wool is surprising even though it’s only like 60%. Way better than any mall or outlet brand wool coat I’ve seen. A little baggy on me and has no insulation, just a smooth lining, so not the most practical, but I keep it around because it’s dressier and I think I could throw this over a suit jacket in a pinch (it’s not a very cropped peacoat). Might get it altered, but if that runs into triple digits it may not be worth it.

Also, I have three options I’m still considering and that still have the tags on them haha:

- B10-style insulated cotton bomber with sherpa collar (from some brand called Brave Soul) in navy. A new style for me but thinking of giving it a try. Seems warm and stylish, and the fit is really nice, which I’ve never found to be the case for bombers.

- Superdry “core down” hooded puffer in black. Lightweight and fits great, but I’ve had issues with down feathers poking through cheaper down jackets before. Plus I already have a black puffer without the hood and a black parka with a hood so this one seems a bit superfluous.

- Tan corduroy trucker jacket with white sherpa lining: wanted to like this one, and it's definitely comfortable, but just seems off on me personally, or maybe needs to be worn in a more rural area.

Wow apologies for the long post. TL;DR: Get a Uniqlo N3-B style parka for the coldest of days, and keep trawling Amazon for other coats to see whether the pricing algorithm drops, if you have time to wait.
    Last edited by holmes10; October 30th, 2019 at 01:01 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Oops forgot to mention that one other really nice style for winter is the traditional N-1 naval deck jacket. I haven't been able to find one that works for me in a price range I like. I tried one from Lucky Brand that looks great but the medium was too tight in the shoulders and too big in the waist. The N-1 typically has a wool or alpaca lining, so it probably wouldn't take you down to freezing, but could probably work in the 40s and maybe into the 30s with layering.
    Last edited by holmes10; October 30th, 2019 at 12:25 AM.