Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 127 of 127

Thread: What winter coat will you be wearing or want to get this year?

  1. #121
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    I want to get a navy pea coat, but I only get to wear my charcoal pea coat maybe 10 times a year as it is. Its not even that it isn't cold enough, I'm just not usually outside long enough to justify dragging it around inside.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

  2. #122
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    559
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    any canadian calling it a 'toonie' has it wrong. it's two-looneys. a twoney.
    The people who make it, control it, report on it and write dictionaries would disagree.

    Loonie: from loon, to the adjective or noun loony (no 'e' as it's not a Warner Bros. cartoon and that spelling is generally not used in Canadian English) properly pluralised to loonies and retrospectively singularized to a distinct noun as loonie. The spelling was established within months of its 1987 introduction.

    The coin worth two loonies then becomes a toonie, in part because of the echo of the Spanish doubloon (the more direct but harder to pronounce doubloonie never caught on) and maintain consistent spelling.

    Public Works Minister David Dingwall suggested "toonie" during the press conference introducing the new coin in 1995 (while touring a polar bear exhibit, notably).

    Canadians who hold to that logic include the Government of Canada, the Canadian Press style guide, which sets the standard spelling for almost every newspaper and other news print and online publication in the country, every major newspaper with its own style guide, and every Canadian TV network.

    Also, the Royal Canadian Mint -- the Crown corporation which produces the coins and owns the copyrights -- uses the terms 'loonie' and 'toonie.' Difficult to get more officially definitive than that.

    https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/about...-and-2-6800002

    One may also consult the Oxford English, Cambridge, Collins, Macmillan or Merriam-Webster dictionaries to confirm the loonie/toonie noun pairing.

  3. #123
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,809
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    The people who make it, control it, report on it and write dictionaries would disagree.

    Loonie: from loon, to the adjective or noun loony (no 'e' as it's not a Warner Bros. cartoon and that spelling is generally not used in Canadian English) properly pluralised to loonies and retrospectively singularized to a distinct noun as loonie. The spelling was established within months of its 1987 introduction.

    The coin worth two loonies then becomes a toonie, in part because of the echo of the Spanish doubloon (the more direct but harder to pronounce doubloonie never caught on) and maintain consistent spelling.

    Public Works Minister David Dingwall suggested "toonie" during the press conference introducing the new coin in 1995 (while touring a polar bear exhibit, notably).

    Canadians who hold to that logic include the Government of Canada, the Canadian Press style guide, which sets the standard spelling for almost every newspaper and other news print and online publication in the country, every major newspaper with its own style guide, and every Canadian TV network.

    Also, the Royal Canadian Mint -- the Crown corporation which produces the coins and owns the copyrights -- uses the terms 'loonie' and 'toonie.' Difficult to get more officially definitive than that.

    https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/about...-and-2-6800002

    One may also consult the Oxford English, Cambridge, Collins, Macmillan or Merriam-Webster dictionaries to confirm the loonie/toonie noun pairing.
    So how many toonies does a Barbour field coat cost?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #124
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    I recently ordered a down bomber jacket from a company called Canadian Wolf. They were supposedly started by former Canada Goose Employees so I thought I’d take a chance. I still haven’t received my jacket yet so can’t give any opinions on fit or quality, but I can say my jacket was about half the price than the other more well known competitors out there.

    I also discovered another company called Toboggan Canada and their down jackets are even less expensive than my Canadian Wolf jacket. I think the key difference being that they don’t appear to use real fur.

    Both Canadian Wolf and Toboggan Canada are made in Canada and neither has the social stigma that Canada Goose has. I also like supporting lesser known companies for some odd reason 👍

  5. #125
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I got Helly Hansen parka. Slim enough to not look bulky and awkward, warm enough for mid-Atlantic winter!

  6. #126
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,612
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mochi123 View Post
    I got Helly Hansen parka. Slim enough to not look bulky and awkward, warm enough for mid-Atlantic winter!
    Well that's not saying much, it's gonna be in the 50s/60s this weekend :P
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

  7. #127
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    Well that's not saying much, it's gonna be in the 50s/60s this weekend :P
    Yeah it's almost disturbing how little actual winter we're getting in the DC area. Even where I grew up in Grand Rapids, MI there was next to no winter weather around Christmas. I'm starting to feel like my entire winter wardrobe is primarily aspirational rather than practical.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •