Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: What winter coat will you be wearing or want to get this year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I just ordered a Contrast Hooded Parka from Zara.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just revived a J Crew peacoat in navy. It looks pretty sharp, but runs a bit big; so I sized down. It's not for really frigid weather, stick with the parkas for that. But, it is an upgrade over my Alfani peacoat that I wore for five years.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    FYI for anyone thinking of ordering the down jacket from Uniqlo. I was wearing the jacket today as I waited for the bus. The outside temperature was 3 degrees and I'd say the jacket was pretty much at its limit. So if you're looking for a jacket to keep you warm below freezing, the Uniqlo down jacket might not be the one. Hope this helps.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Spier and MacKay Zanieri brown houndstooth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    So after the balmacaan from SEH Kelly not working out sizing wise, I went for the one from Simon Crompton/Permanent Style and Private White VC. Reckon I'm set for a few years.
    Kudos. After much hemming and hawing I did the same thing. I tried the SM balmacaan first and while I couldn't find fault with it (what a great value), the colorway did not do anything for me, so it went back. This PSxPWVC one is really nice, and while it hurt to hit "buy" on, it was the right choice. I expect to get a lot of use out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I want a light-mid weight fall jacket that will also have some wind/water resistance (not rainproof). I want something that can be dressed up or down and has a fairly clean profile.

JCrew Sussex - that has been mentioned here looks great. It's unclear what the outershell of that is though. Those that have it, is it a nylon shell or waxed cotton? How does it hold up with a little wind?
    Barbour Powell - The barbour powell looks like the upgrade, but I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade over the jcrew for long term quality and weather resistance.

Any thoughts from those with these jackets or similar appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Spier and MacKay Zanieri brown houndstooth.
    Looks great. How is the fit?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drchak View Post
    Looks great. How is the fit?
    I ordered 38 and I wear that in most OTR jackets. The sleeves fit exactly to my arms which are 34 in dress shirts. The shoulders feel perfect with a jacket underneath and a little loose with only a shirt. The armholes are also perfect with a jacket and a little odd without a jacket.

I'm not sure if I should alter the waist or not... it pulls a tiny bit if I lift my arm as you can see in one picture. The seams feel like the waist could be let out 1/2" or so without altering the shape too much.

I'm not trying to be too fussy about the fit as it fits a lot better than any of the topcoats I've tried on recently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I ordered 38 and I wear that in most OTR jackets. The sleeves fit exactly to my arms which are 34 in dress shirts. The shoulders feel perfect with a jacket underneath and a little loose with only a shirt. The armholes are also perfect with a jacket and a little odd without a jacket.

I'm not sure if I should alter the waist or not... it pulls a tiny bit if I lift my arm as you can see in one picture. The seams feel like the waist could be let out 1/2" or so without altering the shape too much.

I'm not trying to be too fussy about the fit as it fits a lot better than any of the topcoats I've tried on recently.
    It does seem to pull a bit in photo at the waist.

How is the lining?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drchak View Post
    It does seem to pull a bit in photo at the waist.

How is the lining?
    The lining appears to be the same navy Bemberg rayon as many of the suit jackets and sports jackets from Spier and MacKay. It's not quilted.