Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: What winter coat will you be wearing or want to get this year?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    So the balmacaan from SEH Kelly came back in stock today and I temporarily lost all will power and ordered one (along with a corduroy jacket). This is going to be the end of my shopping this year I'm afraid.
    Nice post a pic when you get it. I got the duffle coat recently and love it, wish I had heard about them sooner.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    safe bet. its like 27 degrees today so I am going to wear the sussex for a quick hike on the nature trails today. I will report back.
    Thanks. I look forward to the report. While I vacillated between the blue and olive the sale ended.

Hoping it goes back on sale as we approach Black Friday.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Thanks. I look forward to the report. While I vacillated between the blue and olive the sale ended.

Hoping it goes back on sale as we approach Black Friday.
    So I didn't get out on the trail but I did run to McDonald's for lunch lol. I wore a cable knit shawl collar sweater with an undershirt. It's a loose weave sweater. The jacket kept me toasty and I didn't feel wind at all. It's not very thick but is a bit stiff. I think it will loosen up but am happy with it as is too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    So I didn't get out on the trail but I did run to McDonald's for lunch lol. I wore a cable knit shawl collar sweater with an undershirt. It's a loose weave sweater. The jacket kept me toasty and I didn't feel wind at all. It's not very thick but is a bit stiff. I think it will loosen up but am happy with it as is too

Haha. Fair enough. Sounds like it will work for me too. Now I just have to be patient and wait for their next sale.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Haha. Fair enough. Sounds like it will work for me too. Now I just have to be patient and wait for their next sale.
    Took about 2 weeks for a good code to roll around that didn't exclude this coat after I missed one. Mine was good for 1 day so I suggest checking the details of each code and coming back the day it expires. I had no idea how many codes they run lol

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Nice post a pic when you get it. I got the duffle coat recently and love it, wish I had heard about them sooner.
    The garments came in today and they are so beautiful. Unfortunately the balmacaan fits really large, even though I knew this going in. So the jacket stays (I'll post a pic soon) but the coat is going back

And of course the smaller size is sold out.... Next year I guess.

EDIT: Maybe I'll get the one from Spier or Permanent Style.
    Last edited by kongmw; November 14th, 2019 at 11:58 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    639 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    found this Pendleton coat
    that is BREATHTAKING i love it!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    I needed something a little warmer and weatherproof than my Jcrew topcoat so I just pulled the trigger on this parka from Abercrombie and Fitch of all places. It got good reviews around here a few years ago.

https://www.abercrombie.com/shop/us/...4&faceout=prod

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    So as an update I just picked up a past season Bonobos peacoat in charcoal from TJ Maxx, and it's impressed me enough that I will likely keep it. I believe it's the "Bristol" model, but it doesn't have the cuff straps like this one: https://poshmark.com/listing/Bonobo-...705dddb3d7f196. Ticks a lot of boxes for me: color is dark but deals with lint better than navy, convenient pocket placement, quilted lining, and good fit overall, though maybe a tad long. Could definitely cover a suit jacket, which is nice, and I'm not a fan of ultra-cropped peacoats. I also like how the slit chest pockets above the handwarmer pockets give it a unique look...most peacoats you see either have only the slash handwarmers, or have the chest pockets over flap waist pockets a la Billy Reid.

And it's super warm. Field tested it today to walk the dogs in 39F with a wind chill around 33F, and it kept me warm with just a t-shirt underneath. I was surprised because I thought I'd need at least another layer. Has that extra button at the neck to hold the lapel in place when you flip the collar, which you would really expect more brands to include but for some reason they don't.

I know some folks have had bad experiences with Bonobos quality in recent years (not necessarily due to the Walmart acquisition, but perhaps from cutting costs to make the company as attractive as possible to buyers?). Anyone have any experience with their recent outerwear? I wish I knew the year this coat is from, but all the ninjas could tell me is that it's a past season.

EDIT: After a bit more searching, it looks like it may be the "Foundation" model.
    Last edited by holmes10; November 17th, 2019 at 03:48 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)
    So after the balmacaan from SEH Kelly not working out sizing wise, I went for the one from Simon Crompton/Permanent Style and Private White VC. Reckon I'm set for a few years.