Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Active and dappered?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I think I understand what the OP is saying. I think, without a doubt, certain activities call for performance gear and tech fabrics. In fact, shopping for sports clothes is rather easy, because you can find running shorts for running, work out shorts for the gym etc.

However, for some lighter activities, there is room to buck the athleisure trend and embrace classic menswear. For example: a light hike (especially if you go to a restaurant afterwards), an event like a church picnic (where most people dress casual, but a Frisbee will be thrown, if not a pick up game of football started), as well as other outdoor activities such as hunting, fishing or camping.

Granted, in most of these, you can show up in nothing but black lycra and no one would care. Still, I think there is a strong tradition of mens outdoor wear that looks good and is functionally approximate for these situations.
    A lot depends on if you intend to sweat.

If I'm going out to dinner, I'm not doing anything that will make me sweat prior to dinner.

LL bean has pretty much built their empire on outdoor wear that looks good and is good for those situations.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDub View Post

If I'm going out to dinner, I'm not doing anything that will make me sweat prior to dinner.

LL bean has pretty much built their empire on outdoor wear that looks good and is good for those situations.
    I agree this makes the hike type scenario difficult. I also think the most challenging piece of clothing would have to be pants. Usually dappered leads to a more trim fit. That works usually in non athletic type settings. I’d be curious what the group recommends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I agree this makes the hike type scenario difficult. I also think the most challenging piece of clothing would have to be pants. Usually dappered leads to a more trim fit. That works usually in non athletic type settings. I’d be curious what the group recommends.
    I wear patagonia quandry pants when I need something active but somewhat nice looking. Of course in Vermont, Patagonia is considered formal wear in some quarters. =)

https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...181_color=ASHT

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1122 Post(s)
    I wear patagonia quandry pants when I need something active but somewhat nice looking. Of course in Vermont, Patagonia is considered formal wear in some quarters. =)

https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...181_color=ASHT
    those are on my list too. So you like them?

I have gone from sweating on a trail to food and drinks at a microbrewery patio often. Thats the exact scenario I want to imprive my look for actually. I just end up being another average joe in my merrel moabs, tech pants, under armour 1/4 zip and fleece jacket.

I do a lot of hiking in my altra Olympus trail runners but those look pretty ridiculous too lol. Comfy as hell though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    those are on my list too. So you like them?

I have gone from sweating on a trail to food and drinks at a microbrewery patio often. Thats the exact scenario I want to imprive my look for actually. I just end up being another average joe in my merrel moabs, tech pants, under armour 1/4 zip and fleece jacket.

I do a lot of hiking in my altra Olympus trail runners but those look pretty ridiculous too lol. Comfy as hell though.
    I love the Quandry pants. Prana makes some nice ones too that I have the shorts version of but I forget the name.

I sweat prodigiously. I have to decide in advance if my outing is a sweating outing or not. =)

Seriously. I would need to bring a change of clothes.

We go hiking all the time and do apres hike at a local brewery. For those times, I'll end up wearing the same shorts and simply change into a new tshirt and flipflops.

I'm not sure who these people are who dress up in business casual post hike gear, but it's certainly not anyone I've ever gone hiking with.

Just feels silly to put on nicer clothes when I'm stinky and sweaty with dried mud smeared on various parts of my body. I'll save dress up for another time.

Haven't tried the olympus models but I love Altra's Lone Peaks and currently have a lone peak 4 for trail running that I love.
    Last edited by ElDub; October 23rd, 2019 at 04:03 PM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1122 Post(s)
    i got a good deal on the olympus and since I wanted to wear them with a full pack, I figured the extra footbed wouldn't be a bad thing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    I'll recommend a couple of things

Running - The Nike 2-in-1 DRI-fit stride shorts are a game changer for me. Both sprints and long-distance, they just feel secure and comfortable. I have worn them in yoga too. They are $50 (yikes), but there is a big difference between these and the next model down - the waistband on these is a solid, belt-type thing vs. the crinkly elastic waistband. I found a cheaper knockoff version "Arsuxeo" brand and it's almost the same, but it has the same waistband as the $40 nikes, not the $50 ones.

Workout pants - I have these Gap ones that I absolutely love, and I think they are going to be discontinued with Hill City being a thing. Non-elastic, non-zipper cuffs, slim fit and nice material. Gap Fit Core Trainer Pants - $50 now, were $22 or $25 on sale. I have heather gray, but now it looks like only blue or black are stocked, and it's an online-only item for Gap. Mediums are perfect for me, and I'm a real-measurement 33 waist / 30 inseam. Most training pants are too long, but these are not.

Shirts - I'll second what someone else said - whatever dri fit race shirts that I have around. I bought a couple sleeveless Bonobos shirts on clearance, but I feel kind of stupid lifting in a sleeveless shirt, even if I look great.

Shorts for lifting / working out - I need help. Maybe I will spend a little and things will get better. Mine are all too long, too heavy, too thin, whatever. I'd love to see 7 or 8" inseam quality shorts with medium thickness for lifting / cardio at the gym.

Cycling - I can't justify the price on spandex from cycling shops, so I buy knockoff stuff on AliExpress. You have to be careful with sizing - I'm an XL everything in the asian sizes. It seems like the same quality to me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    My hiking boots are Oboz Bridgers. For hiking I don't mess around...my ankles have been rolled numerous times and modern support features and proper fit are essential to keep that from happening to me when hiking. I bought these simply because they offered the support I need and fit my feet great. I generally wear the technical stuff for strenuous hiking, and throw a change of clothes (including shoes) in the trunk to change into afterwards. That way, I can jettison the sweaty stuff (sucks being stuck in sweaty hiking boots for hours after you're done hiking) for anything I'm doing afterwards. This is not necessary for light hikes but for going up 2,000 vertical feet in the Blue Ridge it's necessary, especially in the summer.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    My hiking boots are Oboz Bridgers. For hiking I don't mess around...my ankles have been rolled numerous times and modern support features and proper fit are essential to keep that from happening to me when hiking. I bought these simply because they offered the support I need and fit my feet great. I generally wear the technical stuff for strenuous hiking, and throw a change of clothes (including shoes) in the trunk to change into afterwards. That way, I can jettison the sweaty stuff (sucks being stuck in sweaty hiking boots for hours after you're done hiking) for anything I'm doing afterwards. This is not necessary for light hikes but for going up 2,000 vertical feet in the Blue Ridge it's necessary, especially in the summer.
    I do that for the real hiking for sure. I roll my ankles a lot but I find that in boots I just transfer the stress to my knees. Trail runners are light enough that I can watch my footing better and recover quickly before going into "full roll". everyone is different of course. "Hike your own hike" and all that. But i also used to play basketball in running shoes. So maybe its just an ingrained personal comfort thing. My buddy played hockey and cant hike in anything but full boots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    For the gym I use Uniqlo jog pants. They're tapered so they don't snag any weights, and they have zip pockets.
    Then I have TCA shorts, which again have a zip. And I have a TCA top, which fits snug and looks decent.