Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the hoodie alternatives on the main page, really alternatives?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1112 Post(s)
    A hoodie is also great if you are wearing a ball cap for "eye shade" but need warm ears...like riding in my Jeep today with the top down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    I just got an old navy sweater hoodie. I have an old school nautica sweater hoodie and it looks great too.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManJournals View Post
    Ever since I joined this website (couple of years ago) I have noticed the dislike towards hooded sweatshirts and the compulsion to provide alternatives. However, I have always felt that a hoodie is what it is because of the hood. So in my opinion, unless an alternative has a hood, it's not really an alternative.

Now, I am not passionate about hoodies and own only the two I bought from S&M. I use them mostly in Spring or Fall, when its chilly and windy outside. The hood offers some extra protection and having the hood on actually feels cosy and comfortable (in a way a beanie doesn't).

Wondering what others in this community think?
    Plenty of people wear a hoodie everywhere and not make use of the hood either. For those people, yes, there are alternatives.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I see hoodies as functional. If you donít need the hood, donít wear a hoodie. If you need a good, is it raining? Then a hoodie might not be your best bet. It itís a functional piece and if youíre using the function, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    Plenty of people wear a hoodie everywhere and not make use of the hood either. For those people, yes, there are alternatives.
    Yes there are alternatives but for the most part none of them are as casual as a hoodie.

I think in general dappered equates more formal with more stylish - like if I replaced my hoodie with a cardigan Iíll automatically look more stylish and therefore better. No, youíll look more formal, that may or may not be better depending on your style and the occasion.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I'd normally agree with the no-hoodie thing, but I have a very Dappered friendly navy blue cashmere hoodie (thanks @wsupjs) that goes great with chinos, jeans, moleskin, cords, cavalry twill, all that jazz, and an OCBD or polo up top. Think of it as a cardigan, minus the old-man vibes it might trigger in someone who isn't into #menswear. Perfectly balance of elegant and slouchy, and works for everything from date night to a casual day at the office to the sartorial morass that is Google HQ. Of course, it's rather rubbish for when the weather actually goes sideways, but it is pretty close-fitting and layers nicely under a harrington jacket and provides a bit of insulation to complement the jacket's windbreaking. So basically, I'm against baggy cotton Russell Athletic type things, unless you're actually using it to keep warm at the gym, but a few tweaks and you can make it work within a classic wardrobe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    It really comes down to occasion and venue. I'd never wear a hoodie to work, but for running errands or going to the gym? Hell yeah. In general many hoodies tend to look better than most cardigans, which, in my opinion, very few people can pull off. Tall, thin guys can wear cardigans (and most other items of clothing), but most cardigans make men look squat, pudgy, and/or old. There was a moment when hipsters were wearing cardigans (and in the 90s Kurt Cobain make them cool for a hot minute), but I've never understood why some style blogs have taken them up -- and certainly not as an "alternative" to a hoodie or sweatshirt. They serve two different purposes - would you wear a cardigan to a football game? In any case, can we talk about the Flint and Tinder Harrington jacket currently being advertised on Dappered? Yikes. Shades of Members Only anyone?

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1437 Post(s)
    I have a bunny hug that I wear around the house. The thing is covered in cat hair because a) I pick the cat up when wearing it and b) the cat likes to sleep on the bunny hug when I'm not home. I do not wear the bunny hug out of the house though. My reason for doing so is the hug just isn't that stylish on me. Comfy as all get out when lounging on the couch though. But if I'm heading out to run errands of whatever I'll change and through on a sweater. Either that or a a shawl cardigan - my new found love.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Yes there are alternatives but for the most part none of them are as casual as a hoodie.

I think in general dappered equates more formal with more stylish - like if I replaced my hoodie with a cardigan I’ll automatically look more stylish and therefore better. No, you’ll look more formal, that may or may not be better depending on your style and the occasion.
    I think the idea is more about dressing for the proper occasion...and the general resistance to the way society has moved towards EVERYTHING being a causal situation. But yeah, I hear you. One thing I struggle with here is finding good daily alternatives since I am now work from home and my previous "personal uniform" is overkill for my audience that consists of dogs, cats, and housewives at the grocery store.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Nothing wrong with a well fitting, neutral colored zip up hoodie in the right situation...there are some really nice cashmere hoodies out there that work well.