Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the hoodie alternatives on the main page, really alternatives?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Are the hoodie alternatives on the main page, really alternatives?

Ever since I joined this website (couple of years ago) I have noticed the dislike towards hooded sweatshirts and the compulsion to provide alternatives. However, I have always felt that a hoodie is what it is because of the hood. So in my opinion, unless an alternative has a hood, it's not really an alternative.

Now, I am not passionate about hoodies and own only the two I bought from S&M. I use them mostly in Spring or Fall, when its chilly and windy outside. The hood offers some extra protection and having the hood on actually feels cosy and comfortable (in a way a beanie doesn't).

Wondering what others in this community think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    I Wouldn't wear one (don't own one).

From my perspective, the article is basically saying, "Hoodies aren't a good look. Ditch them for these better choices instead."

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDub View Post
    I Wouldn't wear one (don't own one).

From my perspective, the article is basically saying, "Hoodies aren't a good look. Ditch them for these better choices instead."
    That's my take on it as well.

I like hoodies for wearing around the house when it's cold. Not for wearing in public.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quoted
    478 Post(s)
    I have hoodies that I used to wear daily in the fall/winter (one zippered that looks GREAT on me, and goes camping too, and one from a deployment that I WILL NEVER GET RID OF ). Now, if I'm not going to the gym or lounging around the house, I'll take the time to at least throw on my shawl-collar cardigan (none of the mentioned ones, but it's the one in the actual photo for that section) or something else a little more stylish.

Though in my defense, I think the zippered hoodie I have would work acceptably for a casual day out.

I don't think the article is saying hoodies are bad, wear this instead, I think it's making the suggestion of "hey if you want to step it up just a little, try one of these instead of a hooded sweatshirt next time you go out".

But I spose we all see thing through a different lens, etc. etc.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManJournals View Post
    Ever since I joined this website (couple of years ago) I have noticed the dislike towards hooded sweatshirts and the compulsion to provide alternatives. However, I have always felt that a hoodie is what it is because of the hood. So in my opinion, unless an alternative has a hood, it's not really an alternative.

Now, I am not passionate about hoodies and own only the two I bought from S&M. I use them mostly in Spring or Fall, when its chilly and windy outside. The hood offers some extra protection and having the hood on actually feels cosy and comfortable (in a way a beanie doesn't).

Wondering what others in this community think?
    I took it like many others that hoodies aren't a dappered look for going out so try these. I get the point to me hoodies are a functional type of clothing. I wear them walking the dog, around the house, gym, etc. I don't wear them out and about often.

Everyone is different but I am not wearing a cardigan around the house for doing chores, etc. going out is different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I have hoodies that I used to wear daily in the fall/winter (one zippered that looks GREAT on me, and goes camping too, and one from a deployment that I WILL NEVER GET RID OF ). Now, if I'm not going to the gym or lounging around the house, I'll take the time to at least throw on my shawl-collar cardigan (none of the mentioned ones, but it's the one in the actual photo for that section) or something else a little more stylish.

Though in my defense, I think the zippered hoodie I have would work acceptably for a casual day out.

I don't think the article is saying hoodies are bad, wear this instead, I think it's making the suggestion of "hey if you want to step it up just a little, try one of these instead of a hooded sweatshirt next time you go out".

But I spose we all see thing through a different lens, etc. etc.
    It is definitely worded more carefully than I indicated, but I suspect that that was done out of politeness more than a love for hoodies.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    I agree with Joe, that hoodies are usually worn with the hood down. I will go farther and say that one should avoid wearing the hood. Hoods conceal the face, or at least cast it in shadows and this can create a cool mysterious effect like in Donnie Darko or Assassin's Creed. However, in real life this can come across as asocial and closed off.

I am a not saying that one should never wear a hood. If the weather conditions demand it, it is acceptable outside. Inside, there is no reason to wear the hood up, and it is socially unacceptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    While I don’t think wear them often I do have a couple that get some use. I have a fairly slim fitting zippered one that I think looks great with a tee and jeans for grabbing coffee etc... For anyone from Colorado I have a melanzana also that yes looks a little odd but fits my outdoors look and gets worn to the local park for weekend morning coffee strolls, then I have 1-2 that I wear doing yard work and the like

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    384 Post(s)
    I’m all for hoodies, they’re just more casual and street wear than they are the dappered aesthetic. Like almost everything else as long as they fit well they look good. The crew neck t shirt under v neck sweater looks bad imo and if I’m going casual I’d much rather wear a hoodie than that.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I understand that the options mentioned in the post tend to look better (though that's a perception and can be subjective) and I personally use those options when I can. I love my sweaters and cardigans. I don't wear a hoodie when I got to work, as I wear either a suit or a sports jacket. However, on other occasions when I am dressed casually, hoodie is an option for me. As @Token mentioned, I'd rather wear a hoodie over a T-shirt than a sweater or even a cardigan.